1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating while still in closet?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hope4love, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Hope4love

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    is it possible? please share your experiences/advice.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its hard. When I first started dating my bf, I wasn't out to my family but was out to everybody else. I can't imagine dating while 100% in the closet. You'll want to gush about your SO. Regardless how great your relationship is, eventually you'll want relationship advice or to vent about something your SO did. Unless coming out is something you're going to in the very near future, I can't really picture it being a healthy relationship.

I completely understand though how difficult it is though, especially if my assumptions about Africa's views on LGBT are somewhat accurate. On the plus side, dating can really motivate you to come out. I would have never come out to my family if I didn't feel bad for my bf and having to lie where I was going etc etc

Hope4love likes this.
  3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, it's possible. I've been with my SO for almost five years now and only just came out to my family a few months ago. What really helped is that my SO lived within driving distance but out-of-state and was completely out to her family. So as long as I went to her, we were free to do whatever we wanted. We kept the time she spent at my place to a minimum, in part because my family is highly conservative and in part so she wouldn't have to be closeted for me.

It's hard for everyone involved but it can work.

Hope4love likes this.