1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody ever make a viddy game before?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DragonBoys, Jul 21, 2018.

1. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I call them "viddy games." Anyway, I'm in the process of creating a fanmade Pokemon game for a while now and I was just curious if there's anybody else working on a fangame or original game. I use RPG Maker XP as the program I work on as well as a large file folder called "Pokemon Essentials" that comes with the engine as well as graphics for gen 3 Pokemon games. You can also add graphics for gen4 or gen 5 games. It's...still a long ways from completetion (if it ever will be complete because let's be honest, I'm the only one working on it lol). It's supposed to be a crossover game of Pokemon and Danganronpa (a mystery visual novel game series on the PS Vita and recently the PS4 and Steam), and so I'm planning out the Pokemon Teams each Danganronpa character has because it's find and honestly? Kinda therapeutic. It's a nice, healthy distraction from depression and anxiety I think. If I can, I'll post up pictures either to this thread or to my album of the work made so far, but it's really not much. I thought it would be best to just work on the character graphics first before I dive into anything else.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hiya! I'm working on my own project as well. Though I can't say I do everything myself. I write the story, draw the sprites, and generally put together the ideas... but a friend of mine does the programming that brings it all to life! I'm also doing the sound for now, but I'm hoping later on I find someone with more musical talent than myself.

Currently we're using Unity. It's a little space pirate cat game that lets you explore the system in your ship, and land on ships/stations/planets to continue on foot from there. Heavy WIP, but I probably can't go too into detail or post screenshots without breaking site rules. (since it'd be pretty obvious who I am when it's a game with two devs, haha)

At the moment... the ship controls, dialogue UI, basic ground controls, and basic space enemies are all in. I've got the "skeleton" of the derelict ship's stage drawn, however I'll want to go back and improve all of the art before publishing it. It's more of a hobby than a job, so I don't expect to be publishing it anytime soon either.

#2 Kira, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  3. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm tentatively trying to work on a visual novel game, but, uh, it takes a lot of time, which I don't have, so it's going veeeery slowly.
    I also have a few ideas for a game I'd make with RPG Maker, only these are still too vague for me to do much with them.

4. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was around 5% developing an RPG in RPG Maker VX Ace when all the files decided to corrupt including the back-ups i had made of it (I don't think it would have happened had i saved onto the cloud)

5. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's awesome! It's an incredible feat for a handful of people to accomplish, especially if it's just a hobby. I'm the only one working on it, so it's gonna be a very looooong time before it's finished, if at all. But I found another program called SRPG Studio which essentially allows you to create tactical, strategy RPG games, much like the Fire Emblem series. And this is mad useful because I'm working on a fanfiction sleepy beauty!AU that is kinda made into a game as well. It has all the mechanics of those Fire Emblem games and is a crossover with New Danganronpa v3. I just have so many anon messages about imagines in the story to fulfill that it gets kinda overwhelming.

6. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh wow, I'm so sorry that happened :'c Do you have an idea of the root cause? Or maybe it was just a glitch in the program? It's interesting and very concerning that even the backup files corrupted.

7. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not 100% sure of the course but a few hours before i found out they were corrupted there was a power cut so I think that might have had something to do with it

8. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Still, it sucks to see all that work go, even if it was 5%. Were you able to rework on it to make up that progress?

9. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan to re-start work on the game either Friday or Saturday if i'm not too busy and I still remember the plot for the main story of it (at least the first quarter of it) and I have no idea when it's gonna be finished (With something pretty major happening to me next month i'm not sure how much free time i'll get)

10. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish you good luck!

11. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but I have made working props from the Fallout 3/4 game world: specifically, a terminal you can really hack to open a safe, and a working Sentry Bot ( Nerf blaster arms for weapons)

12. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    After a long break from game development, I've been getting back on track.
    I use Unity mainly because I enjoy programming, and I'm a control freak.
    I've been using MagicaVoxel for creating 3D assets but the high poly count and lack of mesh optimization sucks.
    I have to import them in n=blender and manually optimise the meshes.

13. Litebrite

Litebrite Guest

I actually work as and artist in the industry. I do a bit of blueprint in unreal as well but nothing like a designer, tech artist, or programmer. Be happy to give any art critiues though.

14. Litebrite

Litebrite Guest

Whoops critiques