1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why should I?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shallow waters, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have came out to my mom and a couple best friends, thats it, I used to feel a big need to come out but since then its really just gone away, I dont like talking about sexuality to anyone not cause im scared to, but it feels to personal, I was thinking that id just “come out” by just being with my bf, like instead of talking or saying I am gay, id just not even say anything about it, just act like it isnt a thing to come out anymore just show up with him and let people just find out.
    Does anyone think I should rather go down the path of telling people, or continue my it doesnt matter really path and just be open without having to say so? Is there any perks to normally coming out? Im still confused about my dads views, he wouldn’t disown me though (said he wouldnt care if my brother said he was gay, they thought his annoucement to move out was gonna be him coming out xD)
    Tl;Dr: Is there perks to normally telling people your sexuality vs just simply letting people find out themselves

2. Caraldo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You should only tell those you feel need to know. It is personal. If you don't feel like you are hiding it, that should be enough. IMO.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Shallow waters.....If you feel comfortable just being yourself and letting people find out on their own...then do it! The LGBTQ Family looks forward to the day when no one needs to come out...you are just getting there ahead of the rest of us!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Pink Blue and LoveisLov like this.
  4. Pink Blue

Somewhere on this tiny rock we call Earth
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Exactly! Straight/Cis people don't need to come out, so why should we?
    I also don't generally tell people about my sexual orientation or my gender unless they ask, because it is personal. The one problem I do have with this approach is that it does lead to being misgendered or misidentified as having a sexual identity different from the one you do have. But to me that's a relatively minor annoyance, and I prefer being misidentified over having to tell everybody all this personal information about myself all the time.