1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old do you have to be to donate your eggs and get a hysterectomy?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ken867, Jul 19, 2018.

1. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So a bit of context before I ramble on. I am a 14 soon to be a 15-year-old trans boy. I am not on hormones or hormone blockers. I have been out for almost a year now after struggling with my sexuality and gender for literally years.

I have talked to my mom about possibly getting a hysterectomy and donating my eggs in the process. I want to donate my eggs because I do not want to get pregnant and my chances of getting pregnant while on hormones would be decreased over time. I want to donate my eggs in order for someone else to have the chance to have kids and enjoy being a mom or a father. However, I would need to donate my eggs before I'm put on T. I've looked this up but have found little to none information on the topic but how old would you have to be to donate your eggs? I believe you need to be 18 years of age to get a hysterectomy but do the same rules apply to donate your eggs? I know very little on this topic and would appreciate whoever replies.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you mean having your eggs removed and stored for future fertilisation treatment so that you're able to have your own kids someday? If so then you'd need to be 18 to go through the procedure which is extremely invasive. If you're talking about egg donation like you have sperm donors then I've actually never heard of this before and but I'd assume that, like sperm donors, you'd have to meet very specific criteria to actually be able to donate e.g. no hereditary illnesses, no physical or mental illnesses etc. they'd run blood tests and scans and they'd have to give the all clear for everything before you actually donate. Honestly mate, you being trans may well be a straight up no from being able to donate in the first place but don't quote me on that.

Essentially you have to inject yourself for a few weeks with oestrogen, they put you under with general anaesthetic and remove the eggs. Youtuber NoahFinnce went through the procedure to get his eggs freezed pre-T recently and made a few videos on what he had to go through etc. He's British but the procedure is the same everywhere so just research up on it and know what you'd be getting yourself into.

#2 Aberrance, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  3. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A hysterectomy would make it where your ovaries would dry up and become useless. So, whether you're on T, or not after that surgery you can't get pregnant anyways. For the first few weeks I think you can though freeze your eggs, but it's a deadline. Also I think you have to be 18 to freeze your eggs. Also donate eggs??

4. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would want the hysterectomy after I donate my eggs. I don't want to freeze my eggs to have my own biological children because my family cant afford that. You do however get around $20 000 if you donate your eggs. With that, I would be able to pay for surgery and hormones which is why I would like to do that if I'm able before I start testosterone.

5. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for (not be able to have kids by getting pregnant). But I would like to do it before I start T for that same reason.

6. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The age requirements for egg donors differ based on where you go to make your donation, but the most common age minimum is 20 or 21. You also have to be a non-smoker/drug user, have regular periods, and be free from any medical, mental, emotional, or reproductive disorders. I am not sure if being a trans man would be a deal breaker, but it very well might be at some clinics.

In any case, the process is NOT easy, especially if you are already suffering from dysphoria. It takes upwards of 6 months during which time you will be put on extra female hormones. These can often increase breast and hip size in addition to further triggering emotional dysphoria. It's basically going in the opposite direction of medically transitioning to male. Make sure you are ready to tackle all of that before committing - the money sure would be nice, but not at the expense of your mental health.

ken867 likes this.