1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Trans Men Do Drag?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ken867, Jul 14, 2018.

1. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know drag is for everyone and that some transgender men were drag kings before the transitioned, but could they also do female drag after they've transitioned? I've never seen trans men dress up in female drag before. On RuPaul's drag race in season 9, Peppermint made a point of saying that drag is for everyone and that she still does it and identifies as a trans woman. However I've never seen a trans man dress up in female drag?

2. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the reason a trans man never dresses up in female drag has to do with culture. Like in women culture there are tomboys masculine women. In the traditional men culture this doesn't exist. My best friend is a cross dresser he's received all sorts of hate, been abused physically for it. As a birth born female before I accepted myself as trans I was just a butch woman and though girls looked at me odd and said rude things they never beat on me. To other guys I was just, that cool relatable tomboy chick. It's harsher dressing up as a woman while being a man. They do it when they haven't transitioned yet bcuz it's not quite drag, they're just being themselves. And for trans women doing drag as a man, it's less dangerous for them. If you consider the fact that they've faced hate before previously by transitioning into a woman, then doing drag isn't a big deal to them, what more hate could they face? (Sorry, if this statement seems a bit excluding of some people, or stereotypical. It's just from what I've seen being bigender at first, and living in both gender worlds. This is the perspective I can offer.)

ungaynly and ken867 like this.
  3. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You also have to considerthe trans people that fought so hard to be themselves, they don't want to walk around looking like the imposter they felt like their whole lives. They'd rather be the trans woman and trans man they always were in their heart.

ungaynly, ken867 and Secrets5 like this.
  4. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely understand this. I'm not meaning that they should walk around as the imposter they've felt like, but would it rather be ok for trans men to do drag? That's all I'm wondering. As a trans boy myself, I would never want to be misgendered in my day to day life. I'm also not saying that they shouldn't be who they are, I was just wondering if it would be ok for a trans man to do female drag is all.

5. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just think trans men should be able to do drag as well but I feel like they wouldn't be accepted and labelled not trans enough.

6. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know you're right. Why can't trans men do drag? Just cause they wouldn't be labelled trans enough? Maybe they should. It would show people how much ourselves we really are. How even under makeup and contouring and clothing we are still a man. Even without the surgeries. We're a man and that will never change. I mean..why should we have to go to excessive lengths just to seem man enough? Why does any cis man have to either? I agree with you, they should, if it's for them, give drag a try. I just wanted to answer your questions on why so many trans men don't do drag.

ken867 likes this.
  7. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes of course and thank you for your replies.

DreamerAsh likes this.
  8. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not only can trans men do drag, I'd say we're better at it, because as FtM we already (unfortunately) look feminine enough. If trans men want to do drag, fucking go for it.

Pink Blue, ken867 and DreamerAsh like this.
  9. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And often trans men, before questioning gender, felt obliged to try to be feminine, so they might have more experience.

ken867 likes this.
  10. juxlia

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Trans men should totally do female drag! I also love RDPR (big fan of Peppermint) and I do agree with the other replies. For example, Peppermint, as a trans woman, is probably comfortable doing female drag as she identifies as and is comfortable being a female. If Peppermint was AFAB, and transitioned to male, it may make her uncomfortable doing female drag. It really depends on the person, and how comfortable they are doing that type of drag.

ken867 likes this.
  11. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a trans man and I am a drag queen! I also know at least 4 others in my town. I have had zero problems being accepted in the drag scene, though admittedly, it's extremely rare for someone to clock me as trans unless I tell them. I'm happy to share experiences and links to my social media if you reach out via private message!

ken867 likes this.