1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did the LGB meet the T ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CuriousLad, Jul 14, 2018.

1. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've come to understand how separate gender identities and sexualities are. But I'm still curious about how they began campaigning together in countries where they've succeeded. So I guess something about their shared history, and how united we currently are (After what happened at the London Pride)?

#1 CuriousLad, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think because a lot of straight trans people came out as gay first it sort of just blended.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simply because you can be trans AND gay or trans and bi. They also suffer from similar problems regarding, discrimination, erasure etc... While gender and sexuality are different issues, they are very often entertwined.

4. smurf

Its actually historical. In most countries, trans people have been at the forefront of LGBT rights. They were the ones creating spaces for other LGBT people to be in. The trans community adopted gay people and were the ones in many ways fighting for us. Its tough because the LGBT community has had a tough time making sure our whole history is being recorded in large part because many of the people died to the aids crisis. Then you have movies like the recent Stonewall movie who made it seem like it was a white cis gay men who prompted the riots, when in reality it has always been the dragwueens and trans women ready to fight for their lives.

It wasn't until a bit later where gay white cis men started getting more palpable to the larger community that some communities started to advocate for the separation of the two groups. The main fallacy is, like mentioned above, trans people can also be gay so the separation doesn't exist 2) sexuality and gender are actually not that far remove from each other in terms of where the discrimination comes from.

What happened in London is horrible and I hope most gay people will educate themselves as to what they are actually fighting for

#4 smurf, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  5. LoveisLov

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Having a minority group (LGBTQ+ community) is very inpowering to me and makes me proud to be gay and apart of the community. ️‍