1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can lack of affection lead to a spike in bi/gay feelings?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Danabutton, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely can see my feelings ebb and flow....when I’m feeling good about myself I pull out of the online dating thing then when it becomes triggered I’m back on it again...

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Danabutton

I can totally relate to this! What attracts me most to a guy is if they want me.

In my case, I think it comes from a need to be accepted by other males. I was a lonely child even with lots of younger siblings and never felt accepted. I longed to be one of the guys. Sometimes my attractions to men get entwined with this need.

I found that men find me attractive and it is intoxicating.

Danabutton likes this.
  3. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You hit the nail on the head sounds like me to a T except I was an only child....when I get a compliment from a guy it drives me over the edge like a rush....whereas I don’t find them physically attractive I like when they comment on my appearance...and then I flirt and so fourth....I’m a mess

4. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol

Then, I'm a mess too. I've even been Intimate with guys because they want me even if I am not attracted to them.

I thought it was about exploring and finding out what I am attracted to. But, it's not. It's feeding my low self esteem.

You can learn to work around it. I'm working hard to develop platonic friendships with men and being very selective with who i share intimacy with.

Danabutton likes this.
  5. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In a way I tho k you guys are lucky to a degree. I wish more people found me attractive. As far as I know, no man has ever hit on me. A few women, but no men Or I could just be oblivious, who knows

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hit on super hot guys! Maybe you're too good looking!

7. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No I don’t think so It’s probably better this way. I may not have the best impulse control. I don’t want to turn into a slut

8. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good point Nick I know my self esteem sucks

9. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish more women would have hit on me...but it seems to be the direct opposite...I don’t know if I come across a certain way or what, but it’s been more from the same...I do know I am intimidated by very attractive women

10. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Danabutton

It may be that we are seeking that approval and that is part of the reason we are getting it!

I was a pretty extreme athlete up until I hurt my back skiing at 56. I had put a lot of my self worth into my physical prowess and fitness. I felt I went from stud to dud overnight.

My psyche did, but it took awhile for my body to follow. I, desperately, was seeking affirmation that I still "had it". In the course of a few weeks, two guys and two women propositioned me plus a husband and wife. Wow! That had never happened before...maybe a couple women way back.

I am sure I was putting out signals subconsciously. Maybe you are doing the same?

Or, Is it possible this is also a way of rejecting our same sex attractions. We can get it and we turn it down?

I've wondered if I do that.

#50 Nickw, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Danabutton likes this.
  11. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you have made a very valid point there Nick...
    I definitely have always felt the need to be validated I guess due to being extremely self conscious of perceived flaws...
    That said I can’t help think and possibly regret not acting on some of the opportunities when I was younger

12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At 21, I had an opportunity to deliver a sailboat to Hawaii with this hot guy. Completely my type. He's the guy who one late night told me he was bisexual and it was the coolest thing ever. I had never told him about me but he could tell. I often regret not doing that trip and the sexual exploration that would have been a part of it.

But, this was 1980. My junior high boyfriend eventually got HIV at a time most died...he didn't. He looks like he's been through a war though having lost so many friends.

Life cannot be about regrets. I'm learning at 59 how to embrace the gay side of my sexuality. I make mistakes, and I am learning some things about myself I didn't know and building on the good and trying to fix the bad.

I've got more than a decade on you. You still have a life to live.

13. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A lot of things look different in. hindsight. I had no idea at the time, but looking back now I realize a friend of mine was hitting on me when I was in my 20s. I was completely oblivious. It wasn’t obvious I guess. At the time I didn’t even know I was bi, but I suspect I would have been intimate with him if he had just asked. Not sure how life would have turned out then. It’s probably better this way

14. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    T
    Thanks Nick....I am trying to come to terms with this side of myself, I realize I have long denied it....
    I guess as one grows older they become more introspective in things...I guess In a way I just wish maybe I would have been more accepting when I was younger, there were some missed opportunities, they were all significantly older then me but at times I do wonder what it would have been like especially during my androgynous period from like 18-25

15. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do agree with hindsight always being 20/20...I am grateful that I got to experience being married before...I was only engaged three separate times, I guess maybe that means something there in that they all fell flat and I do find women very attractive...
    I just can’t help but wonder how it would have felt to have given in to the opportunities when they presented themselves especially during my naive years

16. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Danabutton

I was where you are, sort of...each of us is different...a couple years ago.

There were several things I decided about myself. The first was that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with my wife. Secondly, the only way that was going to work was to be completely honest with her. And, finally, my same SSA are a part of me and I better start nurturing them in some way.

These can be at odds with each other. Had my wife not accepted my SSA, I would have had to continue to hide them. Had I not embraced them I would continue to live a lie. If I had lost my wife because of this I would be devastated.

We each need to decide this for ourselves. But, it appears that you are missing a part of your life as I was.

I will say this. You, likely, won't resolve the issue of your SSA. When we awaken to them at middle age they are not easily put away. So, we have to come to terms with how they will affect our lives going forward and make the best of it for ourselves and those we love.

17. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think some of my attraction to gay sex is that I perceive it as kinky. It isn’t “normal” and that’s what I like about it. I don’t like to be like everyone else. And yes, I know there is nothing freakish about gay sex. I’m just trying to explain my attraction to it not judging anyone. There are many “kinky” activities I like to do with women as well. I’m
    Afraid. I didn’t word this right, so if I’ve angered anyone, I apologize in advance