1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can lack of affection lead to a spike in bi/gay feelings?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Danabutton, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you are right that many guys experiment with each other. My experimentation led to oral sex as well, not sure how common that is

2. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See that’s where I’m confused....I am physically attracted to females ....I have been touched on two separate occasions by the same sex; once when I was ten. And once when I was 21....both incidents involved above the waist and never ventured below that....
    However both situations did effect me in a way that I not proud of and the second situation which I believed really crossed ethical lines inhibited me from engaging in intimacy with the girl I was engaged to at that time....

3. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m more attracted to women as well. In fact if I’m never with a man again, I’m fine with it. I’m just acknowledging what I’ve known most of my life, that part of me is attracted to other men

Danabutton likes this.
  4. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Physically the attraction is for females but as weird as it sounds ; it’s the emotional connection with men and being touched that way again

5. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe the physical attraction would grow if you accepted it. I realize now that I’ve found some attractive all of my life. Not as often as women but it’s still there. My attraction to women is just more intense. Maybe you are mentally blocking yourself from being attracted to men There is nothing wrong with being touched. That feeling being tied to an incident you found troubling could cause some mental blocks I would think

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Danabutton

Do you have any close male friends? Do you touch? Hug? Pats on shoulders?

When I came out I got some counseling to try and understand why my same sex desires had become so strong when they had been a part of me my whole life...why so intense?

The therapist asked about my close male friends. I started describing my three best friends and just started weeping. One was sick, one was living abroad and one was my brother in law who was estranged from my wife.

I missed them so badly and didn't even realize it.

I now touch my friends and family. I'm not afraid of my emotions any longer since I came out. Some of us need platonic male touch. I do.

Danabutton likes this.
  7. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I had very strong emotions for at least three male friends growing up that I can recall

8. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am also loyal to a fault

9. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely think that it has
    ink t

10. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people

11. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry for being crude, but for the most part, what I’m most attracted to in men is between their legs

12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Danabutton

Do you, currently, have any close male friends? I find any touch with another person, man or woman, can cause all sorts of emotions. Sometimes it's sexual and sometimes it's much deeper.

That feeling of having another man really share his feelings through touch can be electrifying.

Biguy45... It's sorta funny, but I don't care what's between a guys legs. Penises do nothing for me. Now, sharing a deep intimacy with another person, man or woman, does. What parts get used to get there doesn't matter to me.

13. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What can I say. In some cases I’m pretty shallow. Not particularly proud of it, but what the hell. Now that doesn’t mean I run around groping guys or staring at their crotch. It’s just what I find attractive

14. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey

I don't think there's anything wrong with being attracted to the "parts". Not at all. I think I'm an anomoly. How I can find guys so sexually stimulating but so little attraction to penises is probably pretty odd!

Destin, Biguy45 and Danabutton like this.
  15. Himo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @Danabutton
    I am in a 11 yo relationship with a woman (I'm a 30yo man). In the last 2 years we had maybe 6 times sex. I always initiated it. She lost pleasure and i always (secretly) blamed her. I told myself, that there is something wrong with her. And i began to recognize, that gay men find me sometimes attractive. I recognized that it is easier to have sex with a man, than having sex with a woman. So I was looking for that “kick”... Then I told my GF and we are in therapy now.

I asked our therapist the same question: Can lack of affection lead to a spike in bi/gay feelings?
    And she said: No. :slight_smile:

As Biguy45 said, i believe also, that a lack of affection can lead you to your true feelings.

I don't blame secretly my GF anymore for me changing. Maybe we had not a lot of sex, because i couldn't give her what she was looking for...

Now 2 things are holding me still back:
    • I love my girlfriend

• I can't imagine myself being romantic with a guy.
    How can i change that?

• Seeing my GF more as a best friend and building a relationship out of our situation.

• Beating internalized homophobia with time and patience... Seeing actual gay people, going away from stereotypes...
    So this is my situation and how i see it. Maybe it can help you a bit to understand yours... I wish you the best.

Danabutton likes this.
  16. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bisexual and I can tell you out of experience that if you are bisexual and in a heterosexual relationship with a boyfriend that doesn't go too well and then coincidently you notice this woman you are clearly attracted to it can make you panic and think you're gay even though you're not (and even if you considered before that you were gay and concluded you were not). So I would say yes, a lack of affection can lead to a spike in bi/gay feelings. That's what happened to me. But I already was bisexual. It's not that I became bisexual because of the lack of affection.

It's one of the things I find hard being bisexual. Heterosexual people have a manual living their life, called heteronormativity. We don't and we have to find our own way. That's definitely an advantage in my opinion and interesting but it can also be very confusing. So I spend a few days thinking that I was probably gay (because I was at that point not attracted to men whatsoever, I was done with men, but I was clearly attracted to this woman) only to discover that my attraction to men came back a few days later (much to my own regret at that point in fact because I was still very angry at my BF!). Heterosexual women are probably done with men too at some point because of bad experiences, only they don't crush on women instead and don't think they are suddenly gay...

Danabutton, Nickw and Biguy45 like this.
  17. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok. I was afraid I went a little too far and came off like a pervert. Probably because I’m not used to telling people that I like penises

18. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well said. When I first acknowledged my bisexuality it was so intense and all consuming that I was convinced I was gay. Over time it has subsided to the point that I now think I’m closer to straight than gay. It does ebb and flow though. Jason momoa with his shirt off still does it for me

19. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me it’s I like them being attracted to me as stupid as that sounds...I like flirting is there something wrong with me?
    no worries Bigguy45; I appreciate your honesty....I hope I don’t come off as some kind of weirdo

20. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    N
    not at all. We are all just trying to make our way in the world