1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Pride in London sorry after anti-trans protest

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Calf, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-london-44757403?__twitter_impression=true

Where to begin with this?

For all the differences, people of all sexuality, gender, race, ethnicity and even religion manage to come together at Pride. So why do a handful of extremists try so hard to ruin everyone else's efforts? What is wrong with these self-serving miserable people?

I'm not saying that these extremist man haters (posing as feminists) don't deserve a chance to have their say but not here. They just helped our whole community take a step backwards - including themselves.

I think I'm safe to say they don't represent most lesbians, gay women, women in general or feminists but the media love this sort of sensational in-fighting and so prepare for the social backlash.

2. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's terrible that even now some people can't accept trans people. I understand many people believe gender is assigned at birth, but even, if that is so in their minds. For a person's mental health they should call people by the pronouns they prefer and let them transition and accept them. Do they not stop and think how miserable they make the trans people, and how they hurt them? All because, they're so focused on them not being born that way? If, you're going to be against something, at least consider the people your hurting..at least that's how I feel in regards to anti-lgbt people..

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a disclaimer I do NOT support what those women are preaching and I am strongly supportive of transpeople and their journey.

From my understanding though, those women base their stand on sex not gender. They do not believe that gender is assigned at birth I think they just believe that gender is irrelevant and that what matter is the sex and chromosomes (and therefore genitalias) someone is born with.
    They base their hatred on the fact that the definition of a lesbian (legally) is based on sex, not gender, and by that definition transwomen cannot be lesbians and women who date transwomen aren't lesbians. They also claim to be harrased and feel forced by trans activists to date transwomen, what I think is happening is that people trans or not, pull them up on their transphobia and bigotry (as they should be) and therefore they feel cornered (as they should be).

It's sad that these ladies chose pride to convey their bigoted message but I think it's great that they received so little support from the crowd (though I do know quite a few women who agree with them.) there is definitely a rise in transphobia in countries like England and it's quite disheartening actually.

#3 Lin1, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is possibly a perceived rise in transphobia but likely only because as trans rights and openness in society advance, objectors become louder and more aggressive (like cornered rats). It would be wrong to say it's a good thing but it indicates a step forward on the path to equality.
    However, these protesters seem much more concerned with trans women than trans men and so it suggests that there issue isn't truly transphobia, it's the idea of men 'pretending' to be women to somehow trick them into relationships. Their argument is truly nonsense.

Let's face it, they're just men haters, reinforcing a bad lesbian stereotype, misrepresenting feminists and damaging our whole community. Great that they got little support at the event but that didn't stop the media pushing their agenda to sell headlines.