1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are gay men so fascinated by Kylie?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Devil Dave, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Nachtmahr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So you are actually and seriously stating every gay man who doesn’t like that type of pop-music only pretends to doesn’t like that type of female pop musicians to differentiate themselves from other gay males? Interesting theory you got there man. *facepalm*
    I have another one. Not everyone likes that kind of music or can relate to those women in any way because all people are individuals who like and relate to different things without them trying to or needing to prove anything to whomever.
    I like completely different genres of music (metal, aggrotech, classical etc.), I usually prefer male voices in music (shocker) and I can’t relate to any of these chicks in any way at all and don’t care about them. Why would I? And why would I even feel a need to distance myself from them when I am not affiliated with famous female pop-musicians in any way in the first place?
    Also, your friends and acquaintances don’t equate all LGBT people but your personal circle of friends who apparently happen to like and relate to pop-musicians a lot because that’s the type of people you surround yourself with. Ask LGBT people in the metal or goth scene and you will get completely different answers in regards to those female pop-musicians from them I can promise you that :wink:

2. smurf

Phew, lets take a breather.

I never said every gay man who doesn't have a diva is faking it, but I am sorry that you interpreted like that. I never meant to make you feel like I was dismissing your experience as a gay man :slight_smile:

What I was saying is that a lot of gay guys try to distance themselves from divas on purpose. Look at my quote, I say a lot of them not that every gay man who doesn't have a diva is faking it for the sake of staying in the closet.

But yes, one of the things that a lot of closeted guys do as soon as they come out is distance themselves from LGBT icons who might be seen as too flamboyant and gay. If it doesn't apply to you then great! The LGBT experience is diverse as fuck and valid.

Okay so this is a great point and its interesting because those spaces can be SOOOO queer already. Goth and metal scenes already cater to people who for the most part are in the outskirts of mainstream music and sometimes lifestyle, which also attracts a lot of LGBT to it so yeah you are right it doesn't apply, but that said the friends who I have who like that music do make it a point to find LGBT artist who they follow and those artists do have a large LGBT following because of it.

3. Nachtmahr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read the general tenor of your first post as going into the direction that those women just were important to gay men and LGBT people as a whole and that those men who disliked their music most likely had to be pretenders with ulterior motives. That made it come across as rather judgemental and as refusing to acknowledge and to dismiss individuality and diversity in LGBT people’s experiences, likes and music tastes to me.
    I am glad that this apparently isn’t the case and it was just a misunderstanding though.

Yes both the metal and the goth scene are alternative music scenes/subcultures outside of the mainstream and I have been part of the metal scene for many years and Kylie M. and similar musicians are not what people in the metal scene usually care about or like.
    However the metal scene in particular has its own female musicians who managed to stick out and gain great respect and are well liked in the scene that’s predominantly a male scene. There are only very few women that exist in the metal scene and metal music to begin with and they are those of the few who had and have the talent to leave an impression and to create a legacy in metal for themselves.
    Doro Pesch for instance is commonly referred to as the queen of metal, she is old enough that my dad has already liked and listened to her music when he was young and then there is Tarja Turunen for example.

4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a big fan of Tarja Turunen. I'm not goth, I do like a bit of metal and a bit of classical, and the way Tarja brings those two genres together just blows me away. Her music definitely means a lot more to me than a lot of the mainstream pop divas. And again, I don't dislike mainstream pop. But I do have a preference for artists who haven't been shoved in my face all the time either because they are the big thing at the moment and appear on all the morning chat programs and perfume adverts and making guest appearances on TV shows, or because the clubs play their songs back to back. (Seriously, I used to work at a gay pub where one night they played Kylie songs back to back and it was a fucking nightmare:tired_face:)

I do agree with what Smurf said about SOME gay men distancing themselves from the usual pop divas, but to me it does go a little bit deeper than simply trying to "not look like the other gay guys."

When I was in the closet, I still blatantly had a preference for female artists. I was into Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morrisette, Courtney Love, Jewel and other less well known artists. And there were male artists (mainly rock) who I listened to as well. When I came out of the closet and started socializing with other gay men, I quickly realized that a lot of gay men were all about certain singers and certain types of music that I definitely had not been spending my free time listening to.

Now there was no way I was going to suddenly drop all of the singers I had grown up listening to and just start playing all these divas and dance tracks, just so I could fit in with the other gay guys. My artists were giving me comfort and solace during my awkward adolescent years where I was struggling with my sexuality and feeling isolated from all of the other boys my age, and unsure about whether or not I was ever going to admit that I was gay and worrying about how my family might react and thinking I might have to keep a secret my whole life. The music I listened to gave me a place to escape and to not have to worry about those things. Kylie Minogue wasn't comforting me during those years. Neither was Madonna or Whitney Houston or any of the other pop divas that a lot of gay men worship. I wasn't purposefully avoiding those artists, I was just focusing intently on music that I had discovered on my own terms.

When I came out, I didn't want to listen to music that basically said "la la la we're all gay and fabulous" I still wanted to connect with the music I had grown up with. But every now and then I will hear a pop song that I heard a million times when I was younger and suddenly think "hang on, it's been a long time since I heard this playing in the background and I actually kinda like it" so I'm definitely not as anti-pop now as I used to be and I don't listen purely to one or two genres.

5. Justinian20

I'm going to be honest, the real mainstream artists I like to listen to are certain pop divas, I don't really listen to modern music targeted towards guys unless you go into Australian music and independent music and some LGBT mainstream artists. But I do not agree with the point made previously by another person that gay men have to like one of the divas. It's kind of silly to expect every gay man to like diva pop music, some gay men just like metal music and others like different genres.

I personally do listen to pop music but I'm also a lover of weird music as well..

6. DreamerAsh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I listen to everything, but I'm waaayyyy into pop music and like pop divas and female singers fairly well. But, like the others I don't think it's necessary to prove your gayness lolz. It's just something that happens for some groups of people and some people it doesn't. That's just how it is. And I think some guys get into bcuz yeah other gays are, so they're curious to see what all the hype is about and they wind up liking it. It's not cause they want to fit in. They just were curious and interested to see what the new trends were. Same as if the newest phone came out and everybody wanted to buy it and check it out.

7. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh well, I may not be a Kylie fan, but she's a damn sight better than a lot of other music that seems to be big in the gay scene these days. Went to my local pride event at the weekend, and I don't know what the hell they were blasting out it was just a load of noise. I was like WTF is this?? Can they play some Kylie and Madonna now? I guess I just can't keep up with the gay scene!