1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to become independent?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thexboxguy, Jul 7, 2018.

1. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello guys, How are you doing? I hope you're doing well. Let me start by saying I'm bisexual, well practically I'm gay, since the pattern of attraction to women is weak and it's not as strong as it is to men. However, I was wondering if you could give me advice on how to be/become an independent.

One of the reasons I want to leave home is because all of the members in my family are homophobic and sexist. I have two brothers, one of them is a 16 year old girl and the other one is 23, the thing is that I've heard them making bad comments about LGBTQ people, I really hate my father, who is very sexist and homophobic and my mother is homophobic and sexist, too. I'm quite sure great part of it has to do with the fact that she is extremely religious and she can easily be brainwashed by people, in fact, she's a codependent woman, who is not willing to seek help for her mental health, which annoys me and I hate her, too if you ask me.

To be honest, yesterday I had an argument, which led us to a fight. Whereas, I've been struggling to find a job.
    As I have a degree in electronic engineering, I've applied for many jobs at some companies with no success, although I have a degree in electronic engineering. As you can see, I just want to rent a house or apartment, leave home and never see my family again but I have no job and money.

Any advice would be really helpfu and appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you applying for jobs relevant to your degree? How do you feel in your job interviews?

If you are feeling a great amount of pressure to leave home, this may be causing you too much stress when applying for jobs. You may be coming across as desperate for the job rather than genuinely interested - just my first thought based on your post.

When you leave, do you plan to live alone or with a friend or housemate etc?

Once you are earning, I would strongly encourage you to stick it out at home a bit longer at least until the end of any probation period. This will give you confidence of security but most importantly the chance to save every last penny to build up a moving out fund. Life away from parents can be expensive so you will need to prioritise. You don't need to have everything new and expensive right away if it is only going to delay the most important thing - your independence.
    Most popular financial advice says that you should have savings to cover at least 3months of living expenses but more is better.

Having said all that, you don't have to take life too seriously just because you're maturing. Adults need to have fun too. Just don't be fooled into thinking you can only do that by spending a load of money.