1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTAQ immigrant-friendly countries? (No xenophobia pls)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CuriousLad, Jul 4, 2018.

1. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not asking this just for myself; I'd like to live and work in a society that largely accepts all queer people. There's no way that's happening in my own country in my lifetime so I'll never truly be happy here, regardless of how successful I am. Oh and it's alright if someone doesn't want me in their country. That'll just give me an idea of that nation's level of acceptance and help me shortlist others.
    I will say however that like any legal immigrant, I'm prepared to work hard. I'll likely be in the medical profession or research. And of course I'll completely integrate myself in the foreign culture too. Really I'll just dissolve into that awkward brown guy in the corner that no one knew was an immigrant. English is my third language but I consider myself as fluent as a native speaker (barring the funny accent every now and then). I learnt very basic French in school too.
    I do know that the Scandinavian and Western European countries, the UK, Ireland and Canada are the most LGBTAQ-friendly. The US would seem ideal because I've got some family and friends there. But I'm apprehensive about the rise of their right in a way that's marginalising the minorities. But all that's just an outsider's opinion.
    So any suggestions for countries I can possibly emmigrate to in the future?

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I cannot say much because I have never been much of a traveler... but I can tell you what I've heard. I have a few friends in Canada. One immigrated there from India. He tells me that it's a very diverse place for the most part. It's still flawed, but a huge step up compared to places like where I live. He tells me it's accepting of immigrants and most of the population is much more mature, accepting of individuals who diverge a bit from the norm. It seems like a place with lots of equal opportunities. It's main problems would probably be finding a place with a lower or decent cost of living, colder climate, or being sometimes difficult to gain entry to.

I can't tell you much on the UK or Ireland. I've never been to either, and I don't have any current contacts there.

Some parts of the US seem decent from what I hear, maybe Seattle or California. But I wouldn't trust it as a whole, it's largely crumbling. And if you go to the US, ESPECIALLY avoid the Bible Belt. Homophobia, sexism, racism, xenophobia to the brim. I know it well, because I live in it. I was pretty much indoctrinated to hate anyone who wasn't a clone. I may have been able to escape that mind trap, but it seems few do... That mindset is rampant. I think the country as a whole is greedy, judgemental, and violent but the Bible Belt is the heart of it's problems.

alwaysforever likes this.
  3. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate a native's perspective. Also I'm just really glad that you're able to call out your homeland when they're wrong. If I try to discuss any of India's problems, like our rampant misogyny and the associated rape culture or even the rise of bigoted Hindu nationalism, people pounce on me for being 'anti-national'. It's ridiculous. My country has a great deal of things to be proud of, but that doesn't nullify our shame! Ugh we've got so much to learn from the West, even if liberalism is under threat, as you say.

4. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really dangerous to be an immigrant in the United States right now. While I am not an immigrant, there are many people where I live who are. A lot of them are rightly worried about what is going to happen to them. It's really horrible. As citizens, a majority of us don't agree with the administration, but our current government is an oligarchy. Only a handful of policy decisions, around 10%, are made out or public interest, and the rest are decided based on which corporate lobbyist openly bribes which politician. This has been coming ever since the court decision on Citizen United where they determined that corporations were "people" and money was "speech." Long story short, the people of the United States are scrambling to attempt to get some sort of representation back, but Washington has not been listening. Until we fix these problems, the United States is not a great place to live, and I couldn't say that you would be safe.

5. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Most of Western Europe is super liberal. I would research countries there that interest you. Myself my dream is to move to Spain and live there with a beautiful man or woman and get out of the shithole that is America.