1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is EC becoming less active?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mihael, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I was in this situation, but it confused the hell out of me that I’m bi and have a difficulty changing habits, because I had my first boyfriend early and really like masculine looking men at the same time. I also had a feminine outfit mania as a child. *embarassed* So it would be and was no big deal to come out. It’s more of an internal problem for me. And in which I need support.

I don’t post on Facebook at all. I’m signing it with my surname after all.

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't speak to why, but yes it seems to me that there's considerably less traffic than there was even just a couple years ago.

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The current political situation in the United States is such a mess that a lot of people in vulnerable situations feel less safe to speak. I don't know if that has a direct correlation to lower traffic on this site, but I wouldn't be surprised. Millions of poor people who had access to internet through government programs no longer have access because of deregulation too, or they lose access very shortly. Naturally what this administration is doing has a chilling effect on free speech.

4. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've noticed a drop in activity in the less than one year I've been here as well. I just assumed it was because it's summer and people do things in real life more during warmer months. The same thing happens every year on a video game related forum I moderate, then it picks back up around October.

5. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it probably is less active than even when I first joined here but if I remember right, a really similar conversation was brought up last summer too so it seems like a trend of there being less active users during summer than in winter.

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's definitely less active.

When I joined the site in 2012 through 2016, there were dozens of people posting daily along with multiple pages of new threads.

I wasn't on this site for most of last year and a lot of this year and noticed a significant drop in traffic when I started browsing on EC again. As others have mentioned, I just think message boards in general are much less popular.

#26 Mike92, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. Ben35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I thought Facebook Groups for gay people were dying out to. Do people actually meet through Facebook groups?

8. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought so too! It’s weird. I’ll admit that I was less active in the past year and a half because I had a lot of stuff going on offline but I’m going to try and post more now. I joined just over 3 years ago and I think it was definitely more active back then. A lot of people I used to know aren’t active anymore.

#28 Spot, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  9. Pole star

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is more than a year since I joined but the traffic is significantly down these days. Same time last year was so much busier. Also I think there was a bunch of women who were very active on EC and now suddenly they are all gone. Guys have always been sporadic apart from a few.

#29 Pole star, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think sometimes members are a bit shy about creating threads and posting responses, especially in the support area. They feel as though they have too little experience or understanding to say anything meaningful, even though that's not true in reality. Sometimes it just takes a few kind words to make a difference and touch another member quite deeply. Of course, it's entirely up to each member how they participate, but if more of us prefer to lurk than post it will have an effect. It also depends on your motivation for being a member. If you only join to get help and support while you personally are coming out you may not stick around in the long term. You might be active over a period of weeks and months while you are working through it all, but then you'll move on. It happens and we understand that. On the other hand, you might be motivated to help and support others who are going through a hard time (like you once did), so you could more active over a longer period. All of these factors + time of day/week/year have a bearing. The numbers of people visiting and signing into EC seems pretty stable though.

11. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I assume people come and go. I know I do. I can be very active for a few days, then I may lose interest for weeks, then I come back. Not sure if it’s boredom, or because sometimes I feel more gay than others abd I need to talk about it. Who knows. I imagine a lot of people are like that

12. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who? Me? Or the general "you"?

When it comes to me, I feel depleted lately so I barely have the energy to cope with myself, let alone others. But I doubt one person can change this much. It would take at least a couple of active members who feel depleted to decrease the activity of a site and newbies.

13. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    YES. I was so hesitant giving answers in the beginning because I thought I didn't know anything, especially when it came to gender identities. Almost everything I knew about queer culture came from the Internet and the media, which frankly aren't always reliable. Half of the time, they're busy fetishizing us.

14. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not like it was I'm thinking of leaving EC barkey any activity

15. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  16. Nimmer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Possibly, but I've only been here a year or so, and I come and go (same pattern in everything else I do, no surprise here), so I can't really tell. Summer is traditionally 'quieter' for a lot of online places, too.

I'm not keen on FB groups and the likes either. But yeah, it looks like forums, like blogs, are more like a 2000s' thing, rather than a 2010s', so to speak. I used to be on plenty of forums back then, and none has survived.