1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on dating sites and long distance relationships

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by warthog, Jul 4, 2018.

1. warthog

Heyo,

So I'm trying to "get out there", but it's a bit complicated due to logistic reasons.
    And what I thought is that I should try to get to know someone online like on a dating site and form some sort of friendship or whatever.
    Did anyone ever try that? did it work ?

Just assume that IRL is not possible and this is the only thing that may work.

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm clueless on dating site or apps, I know two people who found their spouse using a big website that begins with an E... but they are both in hetero relationships.

As for long distance, it is doable, many people have and are currently in successful long distance relationships. It takes a lot of communication and trust, but I would say that when they do work they are some of the strongest relationships.

3. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think fully long distance relationships can work for more than maybe a year. If you never see someone in person it's going to be frustrating for both people when they realize how much they're missing out on compared to in person.

Dating sites I think are fine though, it doesn't matter how people meet as long as they like each other.

#3 Niagara, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally couldn’t do a long distance relationship. I would get too lonely and would feel like I was missing out.

As for dating sites I know some people who have met their spouse online. I myself have not had much luck on dating sites and am trying to find local meet ups instead.

5. Trixi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve seen both work out really well. Personally I have never tried dating sites, but I know a few couples who met online, and are married/engaged.

As for long distance, I was in one, and it worked better long distance (I was away at college), than when we we’re closer. My parents are also long distance, since my dad had to move for work. Their relationship has never been stronger. They see each other on weekends, and instead of being able to talk 24/7 they have to actually put aside the time to talk to each other each night. And since they don’t see each other often, they started doing more on weekends togeather.

6. smurf

So couple of things.

Most people in dating sites are not looking for a long distance relationship. Most people will expect you meet you fairly soon.

Long distance relationships usually start in online communities like EC where people start liking each other after they talk and become friends. I personally was in one from a guy I met here on EC almost 8 years ago. I had fund and learnt a lot, but long distance relationship will not work out long term unless you decide to meet in person at some point.

Some studies about it show that a lot of people can handle maintaining a long distance relationship without physical contact for about a year. After that you have to have a plan of either coming together at one point or have physical contact every so often.

All that being said, I think some long distance relationships can be good practice while you can have a relationship in person. Some people I know have made it work and moved with each other after dating online for a while, but those cases are fairly rare. The vast majority of long distance relationships will end if there is no physical contact.

7. warthog

Hi smurf, thanks for that.
    Yes I totally understand that long distance relationships are almost impossible to maintain, but like you said it's practice, or who knows, I sure travel a lot.
    I just want someone to share with and as there is no alternative I'm going for the long distance thing, but so far it's been daunting.