1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hook up app safety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ECMember, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What tips would give out?

I upgraded my Iphone to Iphone7. Previously my old one couldnt update to a new ios and couldnt download new apps.

Now I got one and Ive downloaded apps like spotify and iheart, and a hook up app Ive used in the past. I used that pariculae hook up app in 2016 to explore my sexuality. I met mostly guys that lived on campus at my college. I told them what things Id do and we met. It was safe, no perverts or psycho paths or rapists or killers. Just college guy guys. I did meet this one guy that lived a distance from me and took the bus to my college. He spent the night with me and we cuddled and stuff and left the next morning. He didnt hurt me or rob me or anything. He was a nice guy.

Now I got a problem. I live now with my parents and older sister. I want to explore my sexuality but I cant do at my house because Im not out yet and still trying to label myself. I dont have a car and cant have a guy At my house. If i do meet someone, Itll be out of town somewhere and rent a hotel room.

Once i get to know someone on the app and we plan to meet up. Maybe ill meet up

But I want to be safe though when I meet a guy up. I have preferences on age and what Ill do and wont do in bed.

2. AJ Mendes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That app your talking about and others like it, people are not always what them seem, so be extra careful.

3. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't give out your address or where you work. Don't go to his place and don't get picked up at your home, work, or close by. Meet at a public place so you can confirm its him. Go to a decent hotel rather than some crack hotel where nobody will care if you scream for help.

4. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When meeting someone from a dating app or site in a public place it's best to take someone you trust with all your life or since you mentioned that your not out yet make sure that there's someone like a police officer in the area where your meeting the guy.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Solid advice here.

I do prefer to meet in a public place for the first time and avoid going to bed/staying alone with the person on the first date, and i recommend that you also do it. Sure, if you are only looking for a hook up, that may not be possible.

I also would let a friend know where/when/with who you are going out, and ask your friend to contact you at a set time, if you don't say anything until then. I always do this with at least 1 friend. It may sound like an exaggeration, but when we are talking about safety, an extra layer of protection is never a bad idea.

There are also some apps with emergency buttons you can install, which will send a predefined message for friends you put on a list. Worth looking into that.

And, also, let's not forget about condoms. Regardless if that person is tested or not, regardless of how nice he/she is, condoms are a must, and it is a non-negotiable thing.

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the safety tips are great advice, but at least in my area it's pretty much impossible to get anyone to do those things. If you won't agree to host and won't let them pick you up to go back to their place instead, they're gone almost instantly. Nobody wants to meet in public first, they just want to hookup right away and then go back to their lives. Request anything more complicated than that and they move on to someone else.

So yes doing that is safe...but it'll also make it nearly impossible to find anyone on an app, assuming it isn't just my area that's like this.

7. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    And for any clarification to you guys:

I am not giving my address out to any guys “on that app.” Nor am I looking to go to their houses. Some guys tease or suggest the idea “to host” at my house, since I dont own the house I live at(my parents own it), I just ignore these guys.

I already made my mind up that I rather meet a guy in a decent(non crack head) hotel. Though I rather meet the guy at a cafe or resturant beforehand. At least see if its the same guy in the pics from the app, and not some grown ass man thats 30 or 50 years old. And at least talk to the guy at a cafe or resturant, before any action happens in a bed.

8. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going straight round somebody's house just after a couple of messages is a bad idea.

You don't know if they are dangerous or not who they say they are. And if they are the sort of person who will invite a total stranger into their home, they are not very concerned for their own safety. they don't know if you are using fake pics or if you're a criminal. Common sense applies here.

Make it clear that you want to meet in a public place first and get to know a bit about the person. Make it clear that you are unable to accommodate so that they don't invite themselves over to your house. If they are put off by you saying these things, don't worry. Let them get offended. They are not worth the effort if they don't respect your wishes. It's not worth risking your safety and well-being for a shag.

Even if they are sincere, you still don't want to go straight round their house. That means you are making the effort to travel to where they live and they are just waiting for you to turn up. Like ordering a pizza. Don't be a pizza.

Meet in a public place. and let a friend or relative know where you are going so that somebody has an idea of where you are.

If at any point you feel uncomfortable on the date, just make an excuse and leave.

9. smurf

Really good advice here, but I want to touch on the amount of fear happening. Yes, you should use caution when meeting complete stranger, but the app isn't full of serial killers, rapists and people wanting to do harm. There is a fairly small percentage that anything bad would happen to you if you live in the US. This is not to minimize the risk, but to put it in perspective.

Since you are new to this, I would definitely ask them to meet in public. It literally just has to be "Hey, lets meet up for coffee to get to know each other before fooling around" And that's that. A lot of people would be down for that.

All that being said, meeting random people isn't as risky as people would think. The risk of you getting killed or raped from one of this people is way down compared to other risks that you take everyday. Take caution, but also don't let the hysteria of it all get to you.