1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't be around my boyfriends parents or be at his house

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Raydar0110, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Raydar0110

Me and my boyfriend have been together a little over a year but for the past 4-5 months I have not seen his parents or been at his house. We are 17 (both almost 18 and about to go to university) and we spend most if our time together at my house. I used to go to his house but I can't anymore.

I can't be around his parents. I disagree with them on everything they do and don't like them on a fundamental level. I always get stressed and dont like how they treat my boyfriend or their other children.

Last night I think I had my first panic attack over thinking about seeing them. It has always made me angry or frustrated or nervous thinking about it but I couldn't control myself and it was the worst it had ever been and I almost ended up the same way tonight. I had pains in my chest for the first time and couldn't controll my breathing.

They think I don't go to their house because I can't sleep on the air matress they have. We are 40min away from each other and need to take 2 buses so whenever we see each other we spend the night.

He said his mother was having a really hard time not being able to see me and wants to build a relationship with me but I don't think I can be in the same room as her. Family is very important to them and I want to be a part of it byt even if they changed completely the mories of the things they have done in the past and what they were like are still there and I don't think I can ever get past them.

What can I do. It's caused us to almost break up twice which is the last thing I want to do.

Sorry if my post has been a mess and hard to read. Any advice will be amazing. I can't keep living like this.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you mean by not liking how they treat your boyfriend and his siblings? Is he aware of this or not? What is his opinion of the situation? Have you told him your reasons (can't stand the parents, disagreements, etc.)? They are unlikely to change for you.

Also, you should probably see a professional counselor about the attacks; that could be serious anxiety that impacts your life both as a student (there will be many academic stressors) and day-to-day things.

3. Raydar0110

He does know about it and he said that if it comes to it he would chose me over his family but I couldn't let him do that.

Whenever I go to his house his parents always end up shouting at his siblings and they also don't respect our time together. Over the Christmas holidays we were ment to see each other and his parents knew about this. The day he was coming to mine they said he had to babysit and couldnt see me because they wanted to go out. This came with no warning and I had a full on meltdown because I couldn't see him.

They are also massive hypocrites and put themselves before their kids.

Again at Christmas, the said they didn't have much money so would give my boyfriend his Christmas presents when they could afford it. They spend atleast £30 a week on alcohol yet he still hasnt gotten anything. Then they get angry at him for not having much money and spending all of his money on the two of us when it comes to buying birthday presents for his family.

It's just loads of small things that stress me out and have gotten me to the point where I can't see them.

They don't know any of this and I don't want to say the true reasons as the will just blame my boyfriend and get angry at him for it. Or they will make excuses. I'm afraid that if they find out they won't let us see each other.

Also I think a counsellor or therapist would help allot and I will have a look into it.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What they do with their lives is their own responsibility, and while your boyfriend doesn’t need to make a choice between them and you, you should at least be honest with him (and maybe request he not tell them the full reasons). The problems you describe won’t go away easily, but your boyfriend is an adult who can (or should) make his own decisions.

5. Raydar0110

I know.

We talk about it allot and he agrees with me that they shouldn't be told.

The problem is that I can't go the rest of my life not seeing them If I want our relationship to continue.

I can't cope with the constant anxiety and stress because of it.

6. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My situation's very different from yours but I'd still like to share what I did wrong. This girl had been my friend since the 3rd grade. Just a really good friend who helped me whenever I had problems with my own uber strict and conservative parents. She was also the first person I came out to, as Bi then, (I was unsure).
    But things turned ugly for her from High school. Her father walked in on her and her boyfriend kissing and that completely ruined her relationship with her parents. They became very, very strict and unreasonable and she'd come to school just to cry and get away from the mess at home. We're family friends so I visited her house often and one day her dad slapped her because she flunked one physics assignment. Right in front of me. I'd heard stories but this sent my blood curling and I went and defended her pretty aggressively.
    The next day, she seemed normal, as if nothing had happened to her, but I kept bugging, trying to help her, thinking I could. I later realised that even with the constant emotional abuse, she was still on her parents' side, and considered them victims rather than culprits. Yet I stupidly continued criticising them. She eventually snapped and called me a bunch of hurtful stuff (things like f*g). I backed off, but I still visited her house a couple of days later. My face triggered her parents' anger but strangely hers as well.
    She outed me then and there. I was in shock but still managed to laugh it off as a joke and somehow left. I haven't talked her since, and the worst part is, that I don't feel bad for her anymore. Wrong as she may have been, she was a really precious friend and there isn't a day when I don't regret what I did.

I could only suggest you continue to maintain a safe distance with them. Your relationship is obviously the most important thing right now. Avoid anything that you think could trigger a breakup because I think you'll not only feel hurt but also guilty if that happens. What I've seen happen with my sister is that kids become really independent in university and start relying less on their parents. It'll definitely happen to your boyfriend, even if to a lesser degree. And so he'll be less bothered about the lack of communication and contact between you and his parents. This will never completely solve the problem. At most, you can give it a few more shots and if you still can't tolerate them, then get used to being uncomfortable with them. It sounds rough, because it is. The one thing that'll keep you going is how much you love him and how much he loves you, and that's precious.
    All I can is that if you're smart about it, it'll get better. It always does.

7. Raydar0110

Thank you for sharing.

I know that saying something would be probably one of the worst things to do which is why I removed myself from the situation as much as I could. I was always on the brink of saying something and would have to try and block everything out to do so.

How did you get over the stress and bad feeling that it caused?
    I feel a mixture of anger, guilt, stress, and anxiety because of it.
    It has gotten to the point that for the past few nights I haven't been able to get to sleep because of panic attacks.

I will have to see them at some point but I'm worried about what will happen when I do. I might say something or get into an argument or even just shut down completely.

8. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My situation was nowhere else near as intense as yours. But to avoid these feelings, I simply stopped thinking about what I'd done and focussed my other friends, exams and my other commitments.

Your anger, stress and anxiety probably stem from you feeling helpless. How you feel you can't change your boyfriend's family dynamics without making everything worse. You'll really have to give up thinking you can do anything to make it better. Now it's all about damage control and preserving the relationship you already have. And I don't know anything about you, but I'm sure you've done nothing to be guilty for. Your first priority is your boyfriend so you're just looking out for him. After all you're dating him, not his mother.

As for meeting them, take it as some tough challenge and reward yourself if you succeed.Try your best to control yourself, fake your best smile, talk about random topics and look at them objectively as a middle aged couple you're trying to talk to. If you do end up saying something, tone it down with some reasoning and change the topic. Remember the more comfortable they are with you, the more you can influence them to change how they treat their kids. Right now to them you're just some person who's dating their son but doesn't like them. And you've got to change that.

Your panic attacks sound serious though. This might not be the best time for it, since you're leaving for university, but try to contact a therapist for it. Those things prove damaging later on.