1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it ever get easier?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Monocyte, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Monocyte

Monocyte New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out to my brother today. He was the first family member I told after having come out to my queer friends, my childhood friends, and my school community.

He generally accepted it really well. I told him while we were walking our dog; just casually slipped it into conversation. He told me that he had briefly suspected it but had forgotten about his suspicious. He was shocked, but we were able to move past it and have a good, normal conversation about fish.

Despite his positive reaction, I’ve felt terrible all day. This happened the last time I came out, too. So my question is this: the stomach ache, the nagging anxiety, the fear that they’ll look at you different - does it ever go away?

I want to come out to my cousins soon. I have a time and place planned, but its generally a nice, light-hearted time and place, so I’m worried that the announcement will make the experience of being with my cousins in this time and place less enjoyable, even if they accept it (which I’m sure they will).

Does coming out get easier after everyone who matters knows? Will I always have a certain degree of nerves and anxiety associated with my coming out stories? Should I come out to my cousins and risk ruining a perfectly good memory? Does being queer really “get better”?

2. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think its always nerve wracking coming out b/c you're sharing something very private and personal and you don't know how they will react. I think it gets easier as you tell the important people as others might not be as important.
    If you have these feelings you can tell your cousins another time or maybe near the end of the event

LoveisLov and KatRainbow like this.