1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to end life/needing 2 move country

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jogos, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good morning/afternoon/night to all,
    I am typing here as an ultimate resort because i am beyond much repair depressed and rather suicidal, i am 23 and live in Portugal, i moved from london 10yrs ago and i HATE IT here, i cannot be myself, i went through pure hell in highschool then moved town in university only to have to live with my father who is a horrid person, here is 1% of how mean he really is, he says "gay people should be locked in a room full of toxic gas" moving on.. he has tried kicking me out before over nonsense and the only thing that kept me going especially this awful year was thinking i might be able 2 move 2 london again. I have a passport and am british but not much $$$ and nowhere to stay.. my life is at a terrible low.

You cannot imagine how i feel. I have an uncle in england was is gay but he wont help something along the lines of "i suffered in life so you can to" i really have an awful family, all i wanted since i was young was to be loved, to find a bf and feel like myself. In portugal i have to hide who i am but people caught on via social media and treat me awfully. Now university is over and i have to face the consequences of still living here, all i want to do is kill myself. Because i see nowhere out

Please, this is my last resort, help me somehow, anyone.. how can someone like me 2 to the UK and start fresh as himself? I hate living in portugal and i am 23 imagine since being 11 wanting to be free.. its messes up.

2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    HEY JOGOS, First there are all kinds of reasons to stay alive, you are not the only one that has, is, or will suffer from depression and hard times. I have been there myself, but it does and WILL get better. Depression REALLY gets in the way of a persons ability to dream and think about all the great things in life.

If you need someone to talk to in real life is there a suicide prevention hotline you can call in your area?

Message the staff, I know there is at least one advisor in England, maybe he has some ideas to help you, cheap housing, where to look for employment.

Do you have a counselor or access to one?

I promise you, you are not alone for you have found a family here on EC. We may not be your blood but do often blood does not equal family.

Dean

juxlia, Mihael, quebec and 1 other person like this.
  3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jogos.....I was overcome with depression and self-hate when I made my first post here on empty closets begging for help. The people here saved me from suicide that night and those same people plus even more are here for you too. As @johndeere2030 (Dean) said...reach out to some local resources for help. Depending where you are in Portugal there should be some LGBTQ groups, hotlines, etc. available. Google those and make a connection with them. It's possible that some of those organizations have offices in England also. They could perhaps help you make contact and arrange for a place to stay. If you're a British citizen, you should be able to get some help there. Don't give up...tackle the problem and fight for yourself...you deserve to be you and live fear-free! Please keep us updated...we do care and want to help!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I'm going to be honest with you here, your family are the real problem right now, you need to become financially independent and cut them out of your life. Where you're living might not be ideal but your family are just making it worse at this point. If you had friends that treat you like your family treats you would you still be friends with those people? Get rid of them, they are toxic. People who grew up with a good family probably wont understand it, but just ignore those people. Don't worry about anyone else for now, just focus on becoming successful so you can cut your family out of your life for good.

Maybe try and make some new friends. When you have new friends don't let them talk to your family. Your family may have brainwashed you from a very young age to have low self esteem and may have turned other people against you as well. Eventually you will probably need to see a therapist who understands what you've been through to repair some of the damage that your family has done to you.

5. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is not the country for me at all. I have been here over 10 years and am completely more than completely saturated, or in other words: HATE IT TO DEATH! :frowning2: I understand because no one knows me personally they dont owe me anything or can help but i have suffered for so long and I have never been indifferent to others pain :frowning2: I am trying to email lots of places, even government soon lol

6. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And now what am I to do? By the way I apologize for spelling mistakes, it is because i type wayyyy 2 fast.

7. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,
    I am terribly sorry you felt suicidal and believe me when I tell you I am sending you a massive virtual hug. So far I have emailed so many LGBT support websites even some mental health ones most from the UK, the only one I emailed from Portugal i typed the message in English... just how fed up I am of being in Portugal. I did speak face to face with a social worker but (like 99% of the people here) she brushed off the whole situation and i didn't even mention i was gay, god forbid, i dont feel comfortable around her... for me to tell a Portuguese person i am gay, i just feel so put off, to an English i am the opposite. Do you know of any specific websites? or do you think i should try and contact more portuguese ones instead of English? Yes I am a British citizen and I composed rather well detailed emails so I am surprised why no one has been able to give me an answer yet, I am persistent now on time as it is only a matter of it until i get my degree and once that happens my father is giving me to boot (well not literally but i will not have much time at all once I get it)

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jogos.....I really think you should try and work through British groups. You are a citizen of the UK living in another country and having problems. I am sure that there are groups out there who would help you. I live in the United States and don't really know much about what might be available for you. Here's an idea....there is a staff member here on empty closets that is from the UK. His user name is@PatrickUK. Make a post on his profile page explaining your situation and ask him to help you find some groups that could possibly help you. Don't give up on this...you can find a way to make your life better...it will be a battle...but we are here to help in any way that we can.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When do you get your degree? It seems like that is very important to getting a well paying job whether you're in the UK or Portugal, so you can live independent of your father and other unsupportive members. What you're uncle said was horrible, and you should try to find some LGBT friends and straight allies so you don't feel so isolated. Also, you should consider working now so you can build up some savings when it comes time to move out (not to mention minimizing the time you have to deal with your father).

10. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, I get my degree tomorrow :slight_smile:

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only just seen this thread and I'll be signing out very soon, but I just wanted to let you know that I'll send you a personal message tomorrow. As a British passport holder you should have few problems coming to the UK and settling here, but you may need to lower your expectations and look beyond settling in London in the first instance. London is one of the most expensive cities in the world for housing, even if you are renting and you just can't hope to live there with limited funds or be accommodated in social housing by one of the London borough councils or housing associations.

Now that you have your degree you may find better employment opportunities, but if you are coming back to the UK from Portugal it may be necessary to do some lesser value jobs for a while.

I hope the suicidal thoughts have subsided and you feel a little more hopeful now you have your degree.

I'll write more tomorrow.

12. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Surely if you are from the UK and over 18 you can just move back?

You may want to keep in mind that if you have moved from the UK when you were a kid, you might have a bit of an idealized vision of the country which may not be an accurate representation of what living in the UK now would be.

With brexit on its way and the rise of vocal extremism even within the local LGBT community (look at london pride) I am not fully sure that UK is necessarilly an haven for gay people. England is also extremely expensive, so you have to look at where you want to settle and how you can manage to maintain yourself financially there and what type of job your degree can get you in the UK.

I personally would recommend moving to Spain. A) it's much closer, B) the weather is nicer, C) it is extremely gay friendly AND D) it is as cheap (or even cheaper) than portugal and with your knowledge of English and Portuguese you will find a job easily.

13. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi, yes I am over 18 and have British citizenship. The reason I have not now yet is because i have no idea where i would find a house or cash wise, i have some cash but no bank account, so i am asking my university for some help but not sure how much they really can. I understand london isnt heaven but I miss talking english, proper english not just to my family or when i am asked to read because no one else in the room can as well as me, I think the UK are much more open (please correct me if i am wrong) So many people have spoken of brexit, and i really do not want to care about it, i understand i have to think about it but .. how would it benefit me? will it really change my chances of happiness? my number 1 goal is to find love, so sure that is a major reason why i want to move, also because portuguese people (from my personal experience) are VERY rude, arrogant at least in highschool and university they were incredibly arrogant assholes who speak down to me and have big issues with anyone who doesnt like to joke around and act in a typical way I.E women say "ah men are stupid haah" and like men to brag about drinking and just in general i want a change you know :slight_smile: Spain to me is too much like portugal, I have been many times there on vacation, i genuinely dont find spanish attractive, absolutely nothing against them but for me to live there, i kinda just want to go home, be myself fully something i havent been able to

14. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I shall check my message now

15. tystnad

tystnad Guest

hey jogos,

our situation is not entirely the same, but i too have lived in various eu countries, one of which had a culture that was not compatible with me AT ALL. people sometimes underestimate just how different attitudes and cultural values are per country (especially considering how small europe is) but it really is true that not every country is for everyone, and if you feel like the UK is the place that worked best for you, it makes a lot of sense to want to go back there. i do want to warn you of one thing: you say you left the UK ten years ago. memory and unhappiness with our current situation can make the past look more glorious than it really was. you need to be careful not to see moving back to the UK as the ultimate fix for everything because it is very well possible you have unconsciously romanticised that idea a lot and then when you actually get there, it’ll just disappoint you. make sure to go about this with your expectations in check, and be aware that some of the problems you think it will solve will reoccur. depression isn’t solved by moving to another country, for example: it can help, but what helps more is getting actual help for that. if you aren’t yet seeing a therapist i would really recommend you do, not to talk you out of it but for you to tackle problems right now instead of waiting for them to be solved only after certain requirements are met (ie moving to the uk). also, if you haven’t yet, find a temporary job for the time being to get some savings started. none of these things mean settling in portugal and accepting your fate - they just mean you’re not just sitting around waiting, but rather actively working on yourself and your future. the future isn’t going to magically fix us if we don’t do our best to make the future the best we can make it.

those things aside: speaking from experience, it is shockingly easy to move from one eu country (and for now the UK still is) to another if your demands and expectations are right. especially as a legal national of that country! but do expect to start low and struggle a bit in the beginning before you can actually live the perfect life you envision. as in, you can find a job as a cleaner or at a callcenter or a fast food chain somewhere without a problem, these jobs are generally always available because people look down on them and don’t want these jobs. with the money you earn with that, you can afford to rent a room given that your standards are reasonable (if you’re looking at a city with a university there should be a market for rooms of some sort: i’ve managed to find rooms in highly competitive cities without physically being there at the time of my search and i can guarantee it is possible. frustrating? yes. but possible. london is probably the toughest and has the most scams so also consider other options for the time being). is being a cleaner who lives in a 10m2 room ideal? absolutely not. but it’ll get you to the uk as fast as possible, and then from there you can build up! you can apply to jobs you actually DO want then, and if/when you earn enough, you can upgrade to a better living space.

of course, that’s not the dream plan... but it is the most realistic. the truth is, you need a job to be able to afford to live there - and if you only apply for jobs you really want, the chances of getting one are minimal because being abroad, you can’t go to interviews, and not everyone is willing to cater to you by having skype interviews instead. i definitely encourage yoh to apply anyway but don’t see it as the only option. housing is also a lot easier to get if you’re already in the country, because then the landlord can meet you (and you the landlord too to make sure you’re not being scammed) and they generally do prefer renting to someone already in the country, with a british bank account.

if getting back to the uk is your number one priority, you need to make sure to not demand too much immediately, because it’ll just complicate matters a lot and make it much harder to get there as soon as you want. but i want to repeat that you need to be careful not to regard the uk as a fix to all your problems, because you’re likely to have tomanticized it a lot in your mind. that’s normal, and we all do it, but it can just make any problem you encounter hit extra hard so it’s important to look at your ideas here very critically as well.

16. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for your understanding message. I agree with you I have romantisized about it but I will say this, my options are: 1- live in the small town where I was bullied, where people i didnt even know looked at me with disgust and/or laughter; 2- keep living with a veebally abusive father who i have tries lately being extra nice 2, i cleaned my room, the toilet but he just exploded simply because i took my top off at the dinner table (here temperatures lately lot really high and im not very strong in general with the heat) he said though that his week he wants me out of his house, 3rd option (hardest one) - going to london to work. I would be willing to work as a cleaner, my ultimate dream is to find a boyfriend but worse comes 2 worse i think i can be myself in london. Here in portugal if i so much as give off a gay vibe people are already uncomfortable around me and treat me like "oh your one of those" plus i miss speaking english so much. I was bullied in primary school in london for being quiet and playing with girls but realistically which option do you think is best?

1- go bk to my mothers who is loving but she said there is nothing for me in the town i was bullied and she said she understands why i cant live there.

2- somehow convince my verbally abusive and emotionally draining father to stay, get a job whilst living there with him, knowing he is a money hungry, abusive, manipulative, control freak l.

3- someone live in London, work and try to start a life. I am not sure what my coping mecanicisms would be as i have been INCREDIBLY SUICIDAL and I completely understand what you meant by romanticising, still i know london is hard i just think from the 3 its the best

What do you think and if i may ask, what would you do in my shoes, if say a family member actually let you live with them in london?