1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DID & gender fluidity/incongruincy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Secrets5, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

DID - dissociative identity disorder (formerly, multiple personality disorder)
    Gender fluidity - going between 2 or more genders
    ---- incongruincy - scientific hypothesis for those who go between male and female gender (link is avaliable but I found it a year ago and didn't save it so will have to find.)

Some people with DID have reported switching gender when presenting as a different 'person'.

I was wondering, since there'd have to be something in the brain for someone whose DID to switch mental gender in the psychotic state, could it also help explain non-DID-non-psychotic gender incongruincy?

Thanks.

#1 Secrets5, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno, mine shifts with the monthy cycle :shrug:When I ovulate, I feel more fem. And more into dudes too.

I can’t speak for everyone, of course, but normally, gender fluidity refers to something vastly different from psychosis. It’s offensive to compare the two, I’d say. I think you should take a less literal approach to gender and more of a humanistic one. It’s self-expression. It’s feelings.

Then again, I think a bandwagon of teenagers spoils the inage a bit. Teenage judgement is a bit poor, and finding your gender is a normal part of growing up. So maybe let’s not blame teens for sounding strange and a bit delusional xD Accurate judgement stems from experience which they obviously lack.

#2 Mihael, Jun 26, 2018
    Chip likes this.
  3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't saying gender fluid people are psychotic or have DID, I just wondering if the gender "brain maps" of those with DID who switch is the same sort of switching in gender fluidity/incongruency.

Guess no one has the answer and that people don't really like learning about biology and brain functions (I do - we all are different). In other words, I'm not that humanistic, rarther I like to study things top-down i.e chemistry > biology > psychology > sociology. But unfortunately I can't pass a chemestry/biology test and I can reel off Bourdieu (1985 forms of capital).

I wasn't calling teenagers delusional either, although I'd say they lack critical thinking but that comes in time.

Though I'd say calling gender an "expression" is mis leading - as some fem. Men or masc. women think they can't be their gender due to being of more opposite expression.

Personally I see gender as the way the brain is structured, in conjunction with hormones, that prioritises certain types of thinking. It also correlates with sex (although refers to different things). Of course every socity comes into play and understands these differently (some societies have four genders where UK would see the same concept as two - cis/trans men and cis/trans women).

I personally do not see gender as an expression, to me it is a fundamental way of thinking and fortunately in my case it mattches my sex. I definitely have more female coded ways of acting and speaking. I am more comfortable in mostly female groups. I don't respond if someone calls me dude even informally, not in protest I just don't realise they're talking to me since dude is male coded. Although what's weird I always get masculine on tests. Probably because I see myself as a dominant personality - but reality only when I know what I'm doing (why make a fool of myself when I don't). I felt dysphoria in places that (3yrs ago) "knew" I identified as agender, like my brain was telling me I'm a girl even though I refused to believe it (although in one way I don't regret this as I met my best friend there).

But different people will have different understandings and I probably offended some people, but then you may offend someone else so anyway.

And I so deviated away from what I sent this out to ...

Aberrance likes this.
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you are asking if it is essentially the same thing. It is not. Ugh, I thought your judgement about gender fluidity being in fact the same as delusions stems from observing the teens and judging them by adult measures. We get an awful lot of teenagers in the internet trans community. Which is understandible, of course.

I don't understand how you have such good/deep understanding of the topic and still compare gender to psychosis.

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, then my next question is how gender switching not under psychosis differs from gender switching in those with DID?

I don't mean to offend with my comparison, I was just wondering if the switching is the same/different and how.

Well, psychosis is a mental state of not having insight (I think) and gender is ... confusing as ***.

"Judging teens by adult measures" ... What's your definition of teen, as if strictly by the prefix I've only been "adult" for about 2 months.

And in regards to your last question: I think of questions and then it goes round my head until I get an answer and I get stressed. But then the people I ask get stressed as I don't think theybe answerd or understood me.

Also in regards to your last questurn, I think your response may be due to your disagreement with my asking question. Maybe??? I don't think I have a deep understanding (of what?) Anyway.

I just write/talk a lot using theory and opinion and people think I know stuff but I don't. Like if I were rrally smart I'd be doing biology or chemistry or music, not education with a love for class based sociology.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion I have a "good/deep understanding"

For I wasn't attempting to compare psychosis itself and gender or at least it wasn't my intent I don't think. It was more about the gender switching.

Sorry for stressing you.

But ... I still ain't got my answer since I don't know why you say "it's not" apart from you just answered yes/no. So stress is reduced a bit thanks.

But I guess you don't have links to articles on gender fluidity/incongruity and the switching that occurs in terms of brain functioning and systems.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, psychosis is a state when your brain produces too much neurotransmitters. In most cases. Therefore, you see random things that are not there. Like when you take hallucinogenic drugs. That induces a temporary psychosis. It has to do with extra neurotransmitters stimulating neurons that should not be activated. I'd like to point out that this is one kind of psychosis. Mania, or excessive happiness, drive and optimism is called a psychosis as well. Although it's a bit different. But its cause is also too much neurotransmitters. There are also induced psychoses that have nothing to do with chemistry, like mass hysterias or like when you has a psychotic family member and believe them.

It's very far from lacking insight. Psychosis is a technical (medical) term. Being stupid or not knowledgable does not equal being mentally disordered :wink:

Yes, I don't like the way you framed it at all.

Well, I don't think it matters how much you know, more how you get to your conclusions.

No problem, I'm not stressed. Just annoyed :wink: But apologies accepted.

The problem with doing research on gender is that first we need a firm and concrete understanding what it is, but all we have are people's opinions and subjective experiences, judgements. And gender expression, such as stereotypical gender roles, sexual orientation, the way people dress, feelings they have, their skills. There is no research on gender fluidity because there is nothing concrete to work on. Gender identity is a subjective experience of one's body and expression.

I am no brain expert of course, but the topic fascinates me. In my opinion, if people with multiple personality have different circuitry in the head involved in each personality, and adopt different behaviour in the process then the separate circuitry may very well be the material representation of these sets of behaviour.

Psychosis is a story of its own. By definition, the person with that sort of condidtion can't tell truth apart from lies. Therefore, their gender switch with all likelihood is as much of a lie as the personality switch.

^^ this is what I call understanding. You have some experience and insight into this, clearly.

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See my therapist used the term "insight" to describe why psychotic abusers cannot be held responsible but my depressed mother who abused me can be held responsible because (quote) "she had insight into her behaviour" .

So that's where I got the word "insight" to mean knowing what is happening and an understanding of the behaviour.

See I think you know more than me as you have what you want to say clearly laid out and I could read all of it.

And I am annoyed with myself that I cannot do more research on ''neurotransmitters'' as it would "stress" me which I hate to do and maybe SSRIs will help and they have done but I don't think I should. Maybe I can now that I've clinically gotten away from what I said above about mother but anyway.

Now I'm stressing myself since I always go back to that when I get stressed.

You're not a therapist you don't need to comment on this I am just closing. It's lovely talking to you.

8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not the same kind of insight. Mental health professionals use this word this way, indeed. That's right. But the ordinary meaning of this word is different.

Nothing to stress about. It's just technicalities.
    What is so stressful about neurotransmitters?
    They are substances in the brain that take part in signal transmission in various ways.
    ... and maybe you can work on relaxation techniques, meditation... it helps...

Well, I'm glad I could help.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No comparison whatsoever.

DID is a severe mental health disorder brought about by very severe abuse that typically only happens in people who are of unusually high intelligence. It is essentially a high-order coping mechanism to allow the individual to escape severe physical/mental trauma by the creation of separate identities, some of which are "walled off" from the others (meaning, do not know the others exist and do not share common memories/knowledge) and some of which share common awareness. It has absolutely nothing to do with gender identity.

Well... you can study it that way, but it's not that cut and dried.

Teenagers typically do not lack critical thinking skills; what is generally still developing in the adolescent brain is impulse control.

Um, that's simply misinformation or ignorance on the part of the people who believe that. Gender is a social construct, not a biological thing. This is pretty widely accepted by just about every major mental health organization and probably the majority of countries.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but your opinion doesn't match the overwhelmingly prevalent thinking.

#9 Chip, Jun 26, 2018
    Mihael likes this.
  10. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have to look at how vastly different they are based on what they’re internally caused by.

Genderfluidity is just 1 example/expression of gender dysphoria, which is a somewhat mild reactive-condition (meaning, it’s a reasonable response to a situation where someone feels ignored or dismissed about something they know to be intuitive to their identities).

DID is a severe condition cemented over many years and in all parts of the brain, often by trauma, where a person’s psyche and personality becomes fragmented, leading to severe dissociation triggered by stress and trauma, PTSD, etc. Those with DID -SOMETIMES- have systems or alters, which are multiple facets of their personality that have been fragmented into their own personas (not everyone with DID has “multiple personalities”). Sometimes, these fragments or pieces of their personality can attribute their own gender separate from the “main” personality in the body, but overall this is rare and DOES NOT affect the gender identity of the person who has DID. Not everyone with DID experiences full blown psychosis, however psychotic symptoms are common or can be triggered by stress and reliving trauma, but dissociation is not the same as psychosis, and most people with DID are aware of the identity of their alters and how they are separate from “themselves”. Overall, DID is not necessarily having multiple personalities, but rather having 1 personality that has been fragmented into multiple “pieces” can can only be accessed idepdently, so they attribute their own traits and names, and this is a coping mechanism for deeply pervasive trauma.

I have a friend who has DID who is also a transgender man and they have been pushed to transition regardless of their condition, and can separate their condition from their transgender identity. I find this post to not only be incredibly misinformed towards non-binary people, but also those with DID.

#10 EverDeer, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018