How do I avoid being outed?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mclyric, Jun 27, 2018.

1. mclyric

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In the 11th grade, I told one of my best friends (and my current major crush at the time) that I like both boys and girls. I trusted her not to tell anyone, but in 12th grade she told a boy who had a crush on me that I only like girls. Not only was this not true seeing as I'm bisexual, but at the time I was not out and didn't want everyone knowing this information about me. I was living at home and afraid of what my christian parents would think about their daughter being bisexual; I was scared, obviously. So, I had to tell her she misunderstood and that I only like boys. My crush for her slowly died out because I could no longer trust her after the incident, but we remained friends and talked every so often while attending different colleges.

Now, we flash forward to nearly two years later. She writes articles for the Odyssey Online now, and recently wrote one about her newly discovered bisexuality. That's great and all, and I'm happy that she's found the courage to come out, but she wrote about me in it. Apparently, she had a huge crush on me back then and had her heart broken when I took it back and told her I didn't like girls. She wrote about the entire situation as an example of her heart being broken by a girl.

I'm still not publicly out, and I don't want people close to me reading this article and figuring out who she's talking about. Despite keeping my name out of the article, the description fits me perfectly. My best friend has already guessed that she's probably talking about me, and has asked me about it (to which I have not responded because I have no idea what to tell her).

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Do I talk to her about it and explain my side of the story and how much she hurt me by outing me? Do I not say anything and hope for the best? I'm not even sure how to feel at this point. Any advice about this situation would be great.

Thanks for the help!

2. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can ask her to remove the article. Unless its very descriptive about you and the fact it took place in high school it might just seem its about you b/c you know it is.

3. mclyric

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    UPDATE: My mother read the article and called me and asked about it. As in, specifically asked if it was about me and if I'd ever questioned my sexuality. I told her no and she proceeded to kind of badmouth people who are gay or bisexual, etc. A confirmation that coming out might not be a good idea yet.