1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Mars A, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Mars A

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. I'm new here. I think everyone kind of already knows why I'm here. But I just want to tell what's bothering me.
    I almost had gotten enough courage to out myself to my family. But then I was sitting in the car with my sister and my dad and they coincidentally had a discussion about homosexuality. My dad says it's an aberration, an anomaly. I feel like these words aren't the complete right translation for what he said, but I can't find any better. My sister was telling him that he couldn't say that, but he kept saying it. For just a second I wanted to tell at them to say that I was bi. But I don't think I'll ever be able to tell my dad. He's a good dad, but he's very stubborn in his way of thinking. His brother is gay. He says he can live with it, but compares it to a handicapped person. I don't want him to think like that about me.
    I'm hoping I van find some kind of friends on here. People who can relate.

2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi im Jake welcome to the EC family nice to meet another bisexual

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

I'm sorry to hear about your dads attitude towards homosexuality. That must be really difficult for you to hear.

EC is a really friendly and supportive place, so hopefully you'll make some friends and get useful advice.

4. kara123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey! I’m sorry to hear about your dad, hopefully he should eventually be able to change his attitude but it is difficult. Thankfully there are lots of people here who seem to be going through similar experiences so we can all support each other

5. HDIGH

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC and high-bi-five!

I'm sorry you're facing troubles with your dad. Hopefully he'll see that his perceptions are wrong someday. But never forget that those perceptions are on him and NOT on you! It's toughest when we face such opinions from those we are close to. On the positive side, it sounds like your sister is much more accepting.

I hope you find the support you need here and keep us updated!

6. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @Mars A and welcome to EC! I'm sorry to hear about your father's views on homosexuality.
    Are you out to your sister? If so, it's great that she stood up for you! And if not, it's nice to hear that she's more accepting than your dad is. I've met many people who see homosexuality the same way that he is and it's heartbreaking, especially when they're close friends or family members. I hope your father will understand one day. If not, it's always great to have someone to talk to! If you know your uncle well, it might be something you could talk to him about. It may seem weird, but the two of you are in very similar positions because of how your dad impacts both of your lives. I have a cousin who's bi. She's a lot older than me, but talking to her made me feel much more comfortable with my sexuality, even though we're not quite the same. Even if you choose not to talk to your uncle about it, it's always nice to have someone to talk to, especially if they've been in similar situations. Allies are great too!
    Good luck! I hope you enjoy your time here on EC :slight_smile:

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mars A.....Hello and welcome to empty closets! Sorry that you had to hear your father say those kind of comments. It's almost always difficult to come out to family, especially parents, but when you hear those type of statements, it just gets worse. You don't mention how old you are, whether you are living at home, if you are financially independent, etc.. If you are dependent on your father/family for housing, school, food, etc. then you should be very careful about coming out if you feel that your dad would not accept you. It may just take time for your father to come to understand that being LGBTQ is a natural, normal variation in humans, something that we have no control over. I would hope that his love for you would be stronger than his prejudice opinion about the LGBTQ Family. Perhaps talk to your sister about this as she appears to be defending us. Keep us updated on how this goes...as I said, you are part of our LGBTQ Family, we do care and want to help however we can!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

8. Lex M

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I’m sorry to hear about your dad but everyone on this site will support you. And don’t feel like you need to tell him if you never come out to him that’s okay. Also welcome and if u need to talk to someone u can message me