1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feeling very alone

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GreenRoses, Jun 26, 2018.

1. GreenRoses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :hand_splayed: everybody! I haven't been on the forums as often but it's good to see everyone!
    I started working part-time cashier at a fast food restaurant and even though I'm around people for 4-6 hours/day, it makes me feel more alienated than normal.

I've been at this restaurant since the 1st full week of June and when I'm not restocking, cleaning or taking orders, no one really talks to me or asks how my day's going often.

I messed up so many people's orders in the lunch rush yesterday bc I didn't ask if they wanted dine-in or take-out. 1 crew member who's always nice to me got really angry with me for the first time. I just wanted to go home. My clock out was supposed to be at 4 & somehow they kept me there until 4:30 because no one would let me count my TILL and clock out.

Thinking about it still makes me want to cry. :disappointed: And atm I don't have anyone to talk to. I get that I'm adulting now, but tbh I feel like crap bc I'm tired of derailing the service. Anybody got advice or just nice words that could help?

- GreenRoses

2. Mindy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It happens to everyone at one point or another. How about you ask a coworker how his or her day is going. Maybe they need to you to initiate the discussion. Who knows, maybe they are feeling the same way. Good luck.

GreenRoses likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone has bad days at work, particularly when it's all new. Try not to take their reaction personally. They've probably forgotten what it feels like to be new. As long as you're learning from your mistakes and trying your best, then you'll get there eventually.

I agree that making an effort to start conversations is a good idea. It can be hard to break into work place social groups. Try something like "you're really good at [insert task], would you mind giving me a few hints?", or offer to help somebody else out? Make yourself part of the team!

GreenRoses likes this.
  4. GreenRoses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Both of you are right; everyone has days where they're off. And I've only worked in food service for barely a month. I just have to take it all in stride and learn from my mistakes.

And it is a little awkward getting into a new social group especially when they've all worked together for who knows how long. I'll try initiating conversations more in the future. Thanks for the advice Mindy & LostInDaydreams!!

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  5. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. Everyone or almost everyone has this experience. haha. Stay there long enough and you'll probably have this experience again with reversed roles. I've worked in restaurants before and sometimes it can get hectic especially during rushes. Being new and not use to the layout of things can be difficult especially in these situations, I can recall feeling the way you're feeling on several occasions. The person who seemed to get angry with you too probably meant nothing by it and didn't even recognize they were doing it. Everyone gets a little bit grouchy sometimes especially in high stress situations and I imagine considering the weather that it's hot as well so I'm sure they meant nothing by it. Also when I worked restaurants I never got out on time, I was always behind time counting my register because my managers would always make me finish the evening rush before. I disliked it so much sometimes, but overall it was a great experience. I encourage everyone to work a restaurant at least once, it's good job experience, and it really makes you thrive for more and appreciate things a little more, because it usually isn't as easy as it seems. I say to you that you did well, good job adulting, keep it up :slight_smile:

GreenRoses likes this.
  6. GreenRoses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thnx @Kyrielles! I guess it makes sense that I felt bad when everyone's in a high-stress and time-sensitive situation. Plus I was new at the beginning of June. Thnx for letting me know that it happens to everyone at some point.