1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your high school experience like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chierro, Jun 17, 2018.

1. noahjerich

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    • Were you in or out? - I was in the closet. I was trying to figure myself out. I've always been attracted to guys but I have been oblivious to my feelings. I told myself I was bi senior year but by the end of my first year of college, I accepted the fact that I was gay.
    • What extracurriculars did you do? - I was heavily involved in my high school. I was a member for Key Club for 3 years, CSF for 4 years, Link Crew for 2 years, Asian Club for 4 years, Cross Country and Track for 4 years
    • Parties or nah? - Nope. Didn't go to a single party at all. Never drank or did any drugs. I was very sheltered haha. However, I did go to a lot wholesome birthday parties if that counts lol
    • How were your friendships with members of the same sex? Opposite sex? - I was mostly friends with people of the opposite sex. I had many close relationships with people of the opposite sex. It was a little more difficult for me to become friends with members of the same sex.
    • Did those change after you came out? - I didn't come out in HS. As a matter of fact, I came out for the first time yesterday to 3 of my close friends. And me coming out did not change a single thing about our friendships :slight_smile:

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For anyone who wants to answer, some questions to consider:
    • Were you in or out?
    Oh very much in. I knew I wasn't straight since I was maybe 14 but fought it for the next 12 years. Even going to a progressive school in California, the George W. Bush years were a terrible time to be an LGBT teen. People who actually did come out weren't treated badly, but there was a lot of negativity toward people or things that were perceived as gay, which kept me and others in the closet. I hoped I could just be bi and ignore the part of me that liked guys. Turns out that wasn't going to happen.
    • What extracurriculars did you do?
    School paper, choir, martial arts, Jewish studies classes
    • Parties or nah?
    Nope. Not until college.
    • How were your friendships with members of the same sex? Opposite sex?
    Pretty much all of my friends were guys, although I got along fine with girls.
    • Did those change after you came out?
    I definitely have more female friends now, but I'm still able to make friends with gay and straight guys. My interests range from stereotypically male (sports, hard rock) to stereotypically female (cooking, musicals). I didn't lose a single friend after coming out or turn into some kind of stereotype that wasn't true to myself, which were my biggest fears. I guess when you come out in your mid-20s people are pretty much over being judgmental.

3. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I didn't really realize I was gay until college and I really did nothing. I showed up, sat in class, ate lunch by myself, went home, did my homework (sometimes), and repeated that the next day. I still jokingly refer to my high school as a juvenile penitentiary, because that's what it felt like at times, and it kinda looks like a prison from the outside. The only after school activities I participated in was going to football games on Friday night. Only home games (except away games at the school near my grandma's house).

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    • Were you in or out?
    I was closeted for most of high school. In senior year I was doing online public school so it was all through the computer, and there I joined the GSA secretly.
    • What extracurriculars did you do?
    In freshman year I played volleyball. Outside of that I didn't do much.
    • Parties or nah?
    Not until I went to college. In high school i was a loner shut-in type... didn't get out much and had no interest in parties.
    • How were your friendships with members of the same sex? Opposite sex?
    Most of my friends throughout my life have been girls.
    • Did those change after you came out?
    Not really, I still end up being friends with girls. Something about guys I just don't tend to click with on a platonic level.

5. blogger100

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Were you in or out?
    Closeted and very concerned about anyone finding out about me.

What extracurriculars did you do?
    In Brazil, where I was born and raised, schools don't really have extra curricular activities to the same extent as in the States if at all. So I wasn't involved in anything other than classes

Parties or nah?
    There weren't many but I would avoid all of them, I knew the talk at those parties were all about sex.

How were your friendships with members of the same sex? Opposite sex?
    Good for the most part, throughout high school I had an even number of male/female friends. I didn't feel uncomfortable around my guy friends as none of them were really attractive for me.

Did those change after you came out?
    After high school I lost touch with basically everyone, only touch with one guy who I consider to be my best friend. I still haven't come out to him though, I have come out to two girlfriends I have met in my mid 20s.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only lasted 1 semester before I switched to online.

I was in the closet. I didn’t do any extracurricular activities. I didn’t get invited to any parties. I was friends with both genders and it was fine. I haven’t spoken too pretty much anyone since I left so they don’t know.

7. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Practically nonexistant. Was pulled out of school in 9th grade due to family issues, lost contact with everyone I knew, 10th grade at a new school. Dropped out of school for a year due because of family issues again. Tried online high school for a year, dropped out due to family issues yet again, gave up on high school and got a GED instead. I honestly wish I had just done the GED after 9th grade. It's an incredibly easy test and would have saved me 3 years of wasted time.

#27 Niagara, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018