1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

outed to a family member

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by e6000, Jun 5, 2018.

1. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been outed to my older brother. I don't know by who. I don't know what to do next. I don't know if I will be able to remain at home. I have nowhere to go and no one will hire me for even entry-level position jobs. Is there any way I can make light of this situation or get out of it?

2. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has he confronted you yet? Will he be ok with it?

3. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, he has. And no, he won't. And furthermore, I'm not ok with him knowing. I've been counting down the days until he graduates college and is out of the house so that I will be safe. I'm verbally and emotionally abused at home by him already, and this is just going to make everything so, so much worse.
    He hasn't up-front asked yet. He knows I'm asexual, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. Someone told him about the long-term relationship that I was in, and if I don't find a way to cover it up, I may not have a place to live anymore.

4. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a tough place to be. Guess its good that he hasn't really confronted you about it.

5. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess. For the time being, I'm holing up in my room and hiding food in there so that I don't have to leave my room as much. I'm going to be applying for what jobs I can online, writing scholarship essays, and doing a good spring cleaning to try to appear to be a model child. The less he sees me, the safer I will be. I just don't know how I'm going to get through the whole summer.

#5 e6000, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    aroacetech.....Ok...sounds really bad and I hope it can be worked out. You don't mention your parents at all. Are they in the picture? Could they "mediate" between the two of you? Or are they negative like your brother? As you're 17 and a minor, your parents/guardian can not legally just put you on the street. I'm sure there are some LGBTQ groups in your area who could help you. Do a google search and contact them for support. Don't just sit there and wait for something bad to happen....reach out for some help...just as you've done here on empty closets! Keep us updated....we do care!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

7. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not a minor, so yeah, they could.
    And, my parents are negative. They're less negative, but they're still negative, but my brother alone is enough to make the living environment hostile. I don't really know what their reaction would be, but at this point I'm not telling any of them my sexuality without telling them that I'm trans, and that's an issue that frankly, they'd react terribly to.
    I can't look for LGBT support in the area. I'm not allowed to leave the house without telling someone where I am and how long I'll be gone. There's honestly no point in trying to get help in my hometown, but I don't know if I can get through the whole summer with my family to get help in the city I go to college in.

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    aroacetech.....Please don't mis-understand me...I am VERY concerned for you and want to help as much as I can from a couple of thousand miles away! Sorry I somehow thought you were 17. I guess the person that I was replying to before you was 17 and I got it mixed up. OK...sorry if it sounds like I'm prying, but it would help if I understood your situation a little better. You're an adult but you have to: "I'm not allowed to leave the house without telling someone where I am and how long I'll be gone."? Do your parents threaten you with being kicked out? And the food thing...is it to avoid seeing you brother or your parents or are they holding food over you as a threat too? It also sounds like (now that I read more carefully :old_smile: ) that you and your brother are in college...so is it a financial type of problem that would be held over you if they found out? Sorry about all the questions, but they all have a bearing on what you are dealing with. I did a quick search for LGBTQ resources in the Troy/Albany area and found quite a few. There were 11 therapists that are actually gay. There were also several LGBTQ support groups and organizations in the area. So do your parents monitor your computer usage or is it because you have to tell them where you're going that you can't connect up with some of these people or groups? If you feel comfortable answering these questions, get back to me and I will try to help out in any way that I can. You are part of my empty closets family and part of our great big LGBTQ family and we do care! Empty closets literally saved my life and I will really do everything I can to help.

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to take things one day at a time with your focus on the goal of going to college. You might try to find public places where you can spend time safely away from your brother, like a library or park or just walking around the neighborhood.

10. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents don't threaten me, I just know it's best to follow their rules to avoid making more conflict than there needs to be. The food thing is because my parents tried so hard to not give me an eating disorder that they ended up giving me an eating disorder, and now I'm not comfortable eating around them. It's also so that I don't have to see my brother. I only live in Troy during the school year, and while I do plan on seeing a therapist very close to my campus in the fall, I really need to focus on how to even make it to fall. I go to a private school, and my education is very expensive. I cannot afford to take on $13k of debt every year, so yes, I need to stay on good terms with my family or I will not be able to go. If I come out to them, we will no longer be on good terms. My parents do not monitor my computer usage, but they do monitor all of my daily activity, so I cannot meet with any groups. I can barely meet with friends while still being allowed to keep a word of the conversation that went on private.

11. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope so, but it's hard to even be allowed to leave the house alone sometimes.

12. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    aroacetech.....So sorry....I can see how you are stuck until school starts again. Any chance that you can convince your brother that there was a misunderstanding and you’re not in that relationship? Since you are in college, are there some Summer classes offered that you could take to be able to get out of the house for a while? Even a temporary fast-food job would give you a break from home....just trying to brainstorm some ideas!

13. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been applying for jobs for about a month, and haven't heard back from anywhere yet. I can't take classes over the summer, because I did not apply to take any, and I don't attend college in my home town. My brother seems to refuse to believe me. I'm currently just trying to stay out of his way and take it one day at a time, avoiding suspicion as best as I can.

14. Guywest79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh...I don't know if you live with your parents too, hard to follow fr what I've read. Seek out an lgbt group maybe. Oddly...im much older than you I assume and live on own but I have a sister wholikes to be mouthpiece for all my matters.. now she'
    Blocked on f^^^b^^k. Good luck

15. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do live with my parents, but they're much less likely to pry into my life. I can't seek out an lgbt group in person, because I'm not really allowed to leave the house. I left the house for a 20-minute walk the other day and got scolded for it.

16. DRobs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. DRobs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  18. Guywest79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm..im not sure situation where you're sounding so controlled..friends? What do they say....you are sounding like you're in your teens..more under parent control as a teen vs adult....just curious if you are- say- under 21 as it poses some challenges. I'll pray it'll work out for the best

19. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really have that many friends because I was in a pretty abusive relationship where I was accused of cheating on my partner with all of my friends, so generally, I cut off ties with the people I was close with over the years. I posted on one of my private social media accounts that I'm worried about not being able to live at home anymore, and they said I could live with them if I really needed to.
    I am in my teens, and I'm a college student. I have to do everything I'm expected to (such as staying indoors and being cis and straight) until I graduate, or else I risk not being able to attend the school I'm at anymore.

20. e6000

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd like to go at some point, but Albany's not really that close to Troy if you don't have a car, which I don't. I don't live there during the summer, I live with my family, but I do not have access to any in-person resources for LGBT+ people in my home town because I am unable to leave the house.