1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does internalized homophobia impact mental health?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ellyy, Jun 19, 2018.

1. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm curious about the psychological (and physical as well if someone can think of any) effects it can have. And if any of you would like to share your own experiences, that's welcome too.

And I know I personally have it and am aware of some side-effects it's given me but I'm not sure of the extent of it. So this is essentially a question I ask to hopefully become more self-aware about this shame.

P.S. I don't know if this is an acceptable thread in this forum. It was difficult to know where to post it.

closeted13 likes this.
  2. ravingclaw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on how much one is affected by it. I think a lot of people to at least experience symptoms of stress bc of internalised homophobia. I know that for some people it can actually seriously affect their mental health in a negative way. I suffered from depression for a long time m, i also had issues associated with anxiety. Currently, i don't have depression, but i still have a rather low self esteem, and i'm prone to worry.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Internalized homophobia can cause a wide range of mental issues, some worse than others, and not everyone experiences them. IH is often associated with difficulties with self-esteem, causing a low self worth, self-hate, and suicidal ideation. Depression and anxiety are also common results of IH. Those who self-medicate to avoid many of these cognitive issues also suffer from addiction problems as well.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ellyy.....I had never heard the term "Internalized Homophobia" before I joined empty closets. However, I certainly did not like the idea that I liked guys. I suffered from serious depression, self-hate, shame and guilt. For over 40 years until I finally accepted myself. In so many ways, I am not the same person I was before I came out.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  5. closeted13

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Denial and LostInDaydreams like this.
  6. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I severely repressed being gay and even when circumstances pointed to it being an inevitability I denied it to the point of severe depression. It wasn't until I admitted to myself that I was gay that I was able to see the light and shed the shame I had carried my whole life.

I definitely felt like it was a dirty secret that I wanted no part of for many years. But what a relief it was to allow myself to be me and accept my reality.

quebec likes this.
  7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Broods.....Been there and didn't even get a tee-shirt. Denying my sexuality caused depression that almost killed me. Like you when I accepted myself, I was finally on the road to being free of depression and loving myself. I hate that society did that to me. I so hope that kids today won't grow up feeling guilty about their sexuality....ANY orientation of sexuality!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

8. female33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is interesting, I've never heard this term before but i suffer with long term depression brought on from childhood trauma. I've had anxiety at various points in my life and right now as im dealing with the situation of "am i gay" i think do i have this ? I think i feel shame that i dont know and i feel like i should x