1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’m confused on my gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nosnibor77, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Nosnibor77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, recently I’ve been having random moments of questioning if I am really a girl? Like for the past 2/3 years now it’s linngered in the back of my mind. I have a typical “boy” hairstyle and have always wore men clothes since I can remember. I’m confused as to if I’m just really masculine or transgender...help???

2. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well the main way to tell is to think about how you're feeling.

Having a boy hairstyle and wearing men's clothes doesn't necessarily mean anything. ask yourself why you wear them - are they comfortable, easy, or you just like the way they look and feel it's a style you like? If it's one of those and that's the only reason you're questioning your gender, it's very unlikely you're trans.

Do you feel like a boy? I know that's not an easy thing to know how it should feel, but do you want to be a boy, do you want a flat chest, do you have dysphoria, etc.? For me, when I'm unsure of my identity, I just remember how badly I want to have a penis, and it assures me I'm trans. If you however, just have short hair and dress masculine without any of these feelings, it's pretty likely you're just a tomboy.

3. AshDee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something that might help is noticing when you feel gender euphoria. A lot of the time people focus the trans experience on dysphoria. But sometimes it's hard to tell what makes you dysphoric because it's so normal you kinda just get used to the fact that you're constantly uncomfortable with xyz. Euphoria (great pleasure) is more easily noticed. Maybe considering the following things might help you a little.

Do you feel happy/excited/good when...
    • Someone uses certain pronouns when talking about you
    • You present a certain way
    • You are read as a certain gender
    • People avoid using gendered terms in reference to you
    • Specific honorific terms are used for you (Mr. Mrs. Ms. Mx. etc.)
    • It appears you do/don't have features you do/don't want

4. Nosnibor77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’d say 80% of the time I’d want a flat chest. I kinda hate it, I wear sports bras now to try reduce the bulk. People mistake my pronouns as he/him daily... and it doesn’t phase me at all?? It seems normal in a respect? I don’t like my face shape at all, I have a rounded full face, and I deem it too feminine for how I feel. I notice, and people around me too, that I deepen my voice when meeting people for the first time...they say it makes me actually “be a lad” but I don’t notice I’m doing it ?? Idk it is all very confusing