1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Annoying?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Silver Snow, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I made a new friend, and I like to talk to him on Snapchat and in person when I run into him. I feel super connected to him. He actually told me that he knew I was “different” so he made a point to be my friend. And something just clicked. I’m lesbian he’s gay, so not in a romantic way. A friendship way. I’ve never had a friend like that. No one has ever tried to be my friend. I have to basically throw myself at people. Constantly do nice things, invite them over, initiate the text convos. And usually I have to hide certain parts of myself from them. The weird sides, the gay side. With him I don’t have to, and it makes it fun to talk to him.

Problem is, I don’t want to annoy him. Make him regret giving me his Snapchat username. Or ever talking to me in the first place. How much is too much? How often can I message him? I don’t have any friends and I’m always out running errands by myself so I get lonely and just want to chat, but I don’t want to be annoying.

2. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I definitely know what you mean.

If you're really concerned about it, maybe wait for him to message you most of the time. If days go by, say 3 days, and he doesn't message you, just send him a message and see how receptive he seems to you. I know this is hard to do when you're lonely and don't really have that many friends/people to talk to, but that's also why it's a good idea to try and have other friends and not be overly-reliant on one.

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep, I would echo the comments above. Aim for parity in communication. If it seems you are doing most of the messaging or always the one who initiates it then you are probably doing it too often.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're asking, chances are you're worrying about it more than the reality. However, you can do things like space out online conversations or do activities in person that have a naturally limited time (i.e. going out for an event, restaurant, etc.). Also, I would suggest keep looking for more potential friendships like with this guy so that you don't feel too reliant on one person.