1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheDude, Feb 5, 2012.

1. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Birdcage is pretty stereotypical, but it's funny. If you speak French, it's interesting to watch the original (La Cage Aux Folles.) Before moving to the middle-east, I went to a fairly progressive high school, and we did a musical production of the Broadway show! I know I'm biased, but it's a good watch.
    For series, I'd recommend Everything Sucks! on Netflix and the Handmaid's Tale on Hulu. The Handmaid's Tale doesn't have a direct focus on the LGBT community, but it includes some characters (two so far) in it who aren't straight. It's based off of Margaret Atwood's novel and is an eerily realistic dystopian story of the future of the USA. Everything Sucks! is a heartwarming story about love, friendship, family, and sexuality in the 90's. It's short and sweet, especially since season 2 was cancelled, but it's definitely worth watching.
    The Color Purple is also really good (and intense.) If you're ready for a sad and heavy movie with a happy-ish ending, I think you can watch it on Netflix and Amazon (don't @ me!) Like the Handmaid's Tale, it's also based on a book.

Also, anyone know where to watch Love, Simon online? I've heard great things about it and would love to see it, but it's been rejected by cinemas in my country due to its homosexual content (homosexuality = illegal). Thanks!!

2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's coming to DVD in June, so it might be online, either Netflix or Amazon around that time probably.

If you can't see the movie, you can also read the book it was based on: Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

#662 BothWaysSecret, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  3. RebeccaK

RebeccaK Guest

The Handmaiden is a great but pretty dark wlw movie, not for the faint of heart. Directed by Park Chan-wook. Beautiful and captivating storytelling.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw it as a play first and think it's better on the stage, but Sordid Lives is hilarious

5. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    #665 kkou, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Watched Disobedience recently and for me it was greatly disappointing and not at all what I was expecting... But on a positive note at least no one dies in the end.

7. DRobs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was surprised by how many full length gay movies there are on youtube.

8. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still waiting to watch My Days of Mercy and I've been waiting for quite some time now. I have this strange feeling that it's going to be a decent LGBT movie and magnificent compared to the other L movies I've watched this year. Speaking of, I really really dislike when a lesbian movie is crazed to be so good just because of the production/budget, then you watch and are like, "ahh, I've seen better." Better lower budget movies from companies you've never even heard of, and yes Carol and Disobedience I'm talking to you. Carol was only good due to the cast, specifically Cate Blanchett, the only reason I've watched it twice. lol

9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has anyone seen Blue is the Warmest Color? I really want to watch it because I've heard good things. Is it good?

10. azzi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That movie was one of the most sensual lesbian movie with a story that I've seen. I didnt know anything about it prior to watching and i was shocked and had to frantically reached for my earphones to watch it lol It was ok. It's kinda heavy though so maybe watch another movie after that, like Imagine Me and You.

#670 azzi, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  11. azzi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recommend this Filipino movie Kasal (Wedding) that's still in the theatre. It has english subtitle so you guys could check it out.

12. azzi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The english version of that is Fingersmith, which for me is better and more realistic. Just my opinion of course.

13. agarcia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but there is a really cool tense movie on netflix called take me to the river that I would highly recommend

14. Elfedor

15. Kamaline

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I enjoyed the movie "Imagine Me& You", it was really sweet:slight_smile:

16. nicolettek

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    D.E.B.S is so bad that it's good. Lost and Delirious made me cry way too much, but I'd still recommend it. But I'm a Cheerleader is a must see queer classic. Same for Imagine Me & You, which imo is the best lesbian rom com of all time (not just because I'm in love with Piper Perabo). Love, Simon is cute and heartwarming; I'm so glad that this film was made in the first place. I didn't actually finish Call Me By Your Name since I nearly fell asleep within the first twenty minutes due to the lack of dialogue/action/or really anything, so I won't share my opinion on that... I just saw Disobedience and I think that the number one reason people leave disappointed is because they go in thinking that it's just about lesbians. Disobedience has so much more depth to it, and it brings up the scary, yet important fact that there are hundreds of Esti type orthodox men and women living an unhappy life. The film was beautiful; it left me at the edge of my seat until the every end. It feels so cliché to say this, but there is so much more to this film than it's dialogue. RM and RW were spectacular and I was also blown away by Nivola's performance as well. It's a small point, but the juxtaposition of the sex scene's tells a whole story without saying a single word. Plus the chemistry between RM and RW is off the charts. The film is dramatic, yes, but there is a bit of dry humor as well. Sorry for the rant, the film hit me harder than most because I have two close friends who may never come out to their parents due to similar religious circumstances.

17. agarcia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The summer of sangaile and carol are both really great.

18. agarcia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is about three hours long so you are going to have to be ready and prepared to sit through a really long movie, but I do think it earns its long running time. I think it is a very powerful portrait of coming out and first love that stayed with me a long time after I watched it.

19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cool. I ended up watching it. I loved it! I watched it in small sections so it didn't feel that long, it felt more like a story just broken into chapters. It went by very quickly! I thought the two main actresses were amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it. Next on my list, Call Me By Your Name.

20. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like going old school; Rope and Strangers on a Train by Hitchcock ....Hitch was a master at creating tension between protagonists