1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Girlfriend- how can I go about this?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Asking, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, I'm sorry if this seems a bit nonsensical, but I have a friend I things escalated with that I'm certain is straight (I know her well)- she really doesn't mean to be stringing me along, but I don't want to be a jerk and knowingly let her first date (I was already her first kiss) be with a girl and feigned to herself. I really don't want to hurt any feelings though, also. Do you folks think I should let her deal with it in her own space and not say anything, or is that wrong as it probably means that she'll have regret and guilt later? Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for over complicating this so much, I just want to hear what people without a stake in this have to say.
    -Sarah

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I just want to make sure I understand you right. You have a friend that you think is straight but you have become really close and you have already kissed is that right? Do you like her or not?

3. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like her a lot. We mainly got close through being in the same friend circle, then things kind of just escalated.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does she know you like girls? Do you know for sure she is straight?

gravechild likes this.
  5. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She knows I like girls, and I do know for sure she's straight. Weird circumstances I guess- I'm just not really sure I can be objective about this, I'd be grateful for any input.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe she is experimenting, which also means you should be careful about possibly getting hurt if she doesn't return your feelings. Have you asked her if she still considers herself 100% straight? Maybe you could tell her about the Kinsey Scale to see where she fits.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale

gravechild likes this.
  7. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're right, I should probably tread carefully. The thing is, knowing her well, I'm sure she's straight but really just wants a romantic relationship. We're in an all girls religious school, so she doesn't really have many opportunities. I think I'm a bit of a rather-this-than nothing option. This makes her sound bad, but again, I know she really doesn't mean to string me along. I'm just wondering what the best thing to do would be, as later on she may regret this (especially if it starts to heat up.) This is all information I probably should have mentioned from the get-go! Sorry. But thank you, seriously, for responding.

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder truely how many 100% straight girls are interested in a romantic relationship with a girl because in my mind that would be none. Now that doesn't mean I'm saying you should go for it, rather that just because she says she is straight doesn't mean she isn't questioning or doesn't have doubts it's just that sometimes we are not ready to accept or share them yet. I do agree you need to tread carefully, it's easy to get swept up in the enjoyment of a situation like this and then all of a sudden her pull away and you get a fall from grace. Perhaps you could talk to her about how you are worried if you get closer and closer she might end up feeling that things are weird between you and that you don't want to make her feel uncomfortable and see what she says.

gravechild likes this.
  9. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I guess the best thing to do here is just try and talk it out- not my forte, but probably just the best way to get everything out in the open. I'll probably just try to bring it up and play it by ear. There're no magic answers.
    Anyways, thanks, folks!
    -Sarah

10. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries, let us know how it goes.

11. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, so status update. This may be a bit long.

Anyways, I brought up the topic of orientation, figuring that if she wants to express any doubts she would, and if she doesn't she wouldn't. As I think I mentioned, we were friends for a while before things became romantic, so she knows me well and saw where I was headed pretty quickly.
    She pretty much said (paraphrasing) that after we kissed she realized that she couldn't feel anything at all with a girl, though she originally thought (quoting) "beggars can't be choosers, but still." Again, I was pretty much the only option, all girls religious school. So I asked why she kept me hanging around. Apparently she figured I wouldn't find anyone else anyways, and didn't want the conversation. I was a little bit dazed, so she kind of just kept talking and said she wasn't sure that being gay is actually a thing since she tried it and saw for herself and that I'd eventually wake up like her, hopefully.

I'm not really sure what to say at this point. I know she's not malicious and she's actually really great in so many ways, and I know she figures we're still going to be fine as friends. I don't really think she realizes how upset I am.
    Jesus, I feel like a real teenager.:expressionless:. Sorry for pouring my heart out to you strangers on the internet, its just that I can't really discuss it with people in the flesh and feel lonely. Thanks.
    -Sarah

12. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This would be funny if it wasn't such a dumb thing for someone to say.

"Hey I don't like pineapples, I guess that means nobody else likes pineapples, therefore pineapples don't actually exist" is pretty much the brilliant logic going on in her mind.

Your friend sounds really rude to say things like she figured you wouldn't find anyone else anyway and "beggars can't be choosers" like she would have picked anything else if she could have.

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww hey don't be sorry, have a hug. I'm sorry that she said those things, I agree she probably didn't mean to hurt you intentionally but it is a really dumb thing to say. The good thing to come out of it is you know exactly where you stand and this way you can protect yourself from more heart ache down the line. I'm not saying you can't be friends with her but I think for the moment at least you have to have some clear boundaries. Hope you are ok.

Niagara likes this.
  14. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm
    Thanks all. I'm just going to go along with it, avoid her a little for the next few days so I'll be civil. It's just a shame since she's actually a really wonderful person on so many levels, I know she sounded like she was saying something stupid, but you'd really have to know her- she isn't like that. She just didn't really have many options. I just hope she changes her mind, not very likely but I'm not going to give up yet, and anyways, what's the rush? Thanks again. Have a good one.

Niagara likes this.