1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I wear for prom?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by staries, Jun 5, 2018.

1. staries

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, my senior prom is next year and I plan on going. I've been dreaming of this day since I was a little child, but now I imagine myself wearing a tux instead of a gown.
    What are some decent quality, non-expensive tuxes I can buy? Does it have to be a tux, or could I just wear a formal suit?

Also, I have really long hair. My hair is one of the things I am most dysphoric about, should I cut it? I'm really nervous to since I grew it back for ballet. (My teacher made me wear a bun, even though my hair was too short at the time.)

2. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! It is not necessary to wear a tuxedo to prom, any formal attire would probably be sufficient! If you're still nervous that you might be breaking the event's dress code, I would recommend talking to someone who's in charge of running the event at your school so you can double check.
    If you want to wear a tuxedo, perhaps look around on the internet for cheap local tuxedo rentals!
    I would also say that if your hair makes you dysphoric, you should cut it. It's all up to you, though. Prom should be a fun event and you definitely shouldn't feel anxious because of your hair during it. You shouldn't have to feel nervous about expressing yourself through your hair!
    I hope I could help lol, have a great time at prom!

staries likes this.
  3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If your hair makes you feel dysphoric...then cut it! Its prom, you only get one. Do whatever makes you feel confident and at ease. For me, in general, cutting my hair was the best decision i have made yet. I feel so much more 'me' and confident with short hair. I never went to my prom, so i don't really have much advise to give. But i've heard that rentals are a thing. So perhaps look into that? At least by starting to think about it now, you've got all year to figure it out.

RavenWing and staries like this.
  4. Hillary B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wear whatever makes you feel beautiful, proud, real and true to yourself. Sounds like this may be a tux, or DJ (dinner jacket) as we call them in the UK. I bought a very inexpensive (suit) for what would equate to 100 USD over here in a Marks and Spencers store once. The irony being I guess that I kinda wished I was on the other floor of the shop looking at ball gowns! It's complicated isn't it but I guess I like that complication and I know I am lucky in that I manage not to feel too dysphoric most of the time although it really hurts when I do.
    Anyway, just as important as anything: enjoy the prom you have always dreamed of and have a brilliant time; you deserve it and you deserve to be you!

#4 Hillary B, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018