1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muslim and Bi

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Askiah, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Askiah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi all,
    I wanted to talk about something kinda iffy. I am a Muslim--fairly religious-- woman, who happens to be Bi. I don't have anything against the identification of my own sexually in its self, I am who I am. It is actually my first time telling anyone(you all) and something I have come to realize over the years. I have no plans of coming out, my mom probably already knows, and I am still growing. I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there in a similar situation, I would love to talk and share thoughts:slight_smile:

2. Iley28

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi sadikah. A bit of advice, just be happy and enjoy your life. Do good always. Be proud what you are. Its difficult to open up to your family and friends because of religion. I know you can find some ooen minded friends that would help reach you out and will understand you...be happy

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not Muslim, but I am a Christian and bisexual. I came out and it had its ups and downs, but my parents (thankfully) accepted it as a part of who I am, and sat me down and told me that all they want, is for me to happy - regardless of who I end up with. It was such a beautiful moment and at the end of the talk they both said they love me, and we hugged and carried on with our lives.

I know you said you don't plan on coming out, but you also mentioned that you suspect your mother already knows... Why do you say that? Have you given any hints, or reason for her to suspect you being bisexual? Do you think that you might change your mind about coming out at a later stage/when you're older and more certain? Do you think that you won't be able to practice your faith if you chose to be with a woman?

Myself, and many other (gay/bisexual/pansexual) religious folk here can tell you that yes, you can still practice your religion/faith and still be (out?) bisexual/gay/whatever. It's not a case of one or the other - it's a case of being true to your god(s) and true to yourself at the same time. I believe that our Creator doesn't make mistakes - He knew before we were even born, what our lives will be like, and yes, that includes our sexual orientation. Nobody will willingly CHOOSE to be gay/bisexual/pansexual/whatever. We were BORN that way. It's how we are wired. It's a part of us, just like we cannot change our eye colour, skin colour, etc. we cannot change who we are attracted to. Just be yourself, that's the most important part of it all. Be true to yourself. I hope this helps you feel a bit better :slight_smile:

4. Askiah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I appreciate this a lot thank you:slight_smile: I believe my mother knows because I have had many talks with her hinting at it, and she usually picks up very quickly on things that I feel but can't say. She would most likely love me either way. In the Islamic faith, the perspective of homosexuality is a bit different than other religions. Surely God doesn't make mistakes, so I'm not saying that I am a mistake. How I feel/who I am is completely valid, in regards to my attraction to women. As you mentioned I didn't willingly choose it, so I am true to myself in this aspect. However to practice a lifestyle in which those interests play a role is not allowed. This can be compared to how we ex: do not drink, gamble, or date before marriage. It's not that the desire is wrong but rather only the action. Muslims are very obedient to God in that respect. If he allows he allows, and if he forbids he forbids and there is a benefit in all of it. And I have never questioned this benefit because my religion is everything to me.

It does get hard sometimes, but if it came down to it I wouldn't hide it from my loved ones and people I trusted.
    I feel that hearing about others experience and yours is really helpful and brings me a lot of comfort to just get it off my chest from time to time.

5. Askiah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you, and same to you friend:slight_smile: I know I do have some people in my life who I can definitely open up to. I will do my best!

6. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Askiah,
    first of all you are awesome! socond of all i m haooy you have a close loved one who knows and not being difficult about it.
    I myself is a practising muslim and have taken time to come to terms with my sexuality and my faith and practices as well as traditions that have become a part of me.
    You can be who you are without compromising your values, if you are bi or gay this does not mean you cannot practise your faith in the way that it gives you peace and makes you feel grounded, It doesnt write it off in any way.
    It took me years to come to this conclusion and now I dont feel like a hypocrite because, and i m using this as an example, I have a significant other who's a woman but i still pray, fast, dress conservatively, pay my zakat, perform Umrah and believe in Allah.
    Losing my Faith will mean losing myself so i had to work on that diligently to come to where I am and enjoy a loving relationship with a supportive partner, my partner herself is a practising Christian and that helped us copiously in relating to each other's spiritual needs.
    I wish you luck and happiness in the form that your sould needs