1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone use both male and female pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Long Road, May 29, 2018.

1. Long Road

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sometimes I feel uncomfortable when people refer to me with "she" and would like to hear "he", sometimes I like "she" and don't want "he" and other times I feel like I like both. I never felt like "they" or other pronouns suited me, it's alright if they fit some other people.
    Does anyone use both "she" and "he" or knows someone who does?

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know a guy who does. He is a guy but he looks naturally androgynous and also wears feminine clothing. He says he "just doesn't care."

Long Road likes this.
  3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bi-gender, and I use both pronouns. I'm afab, and "she" is never dysphoric, I like to hear "he" while in guy swing, and I hate "he" when I'm on a girl swing. "They" is always dysphoric, because my genders are both very binary, and I feel "they" invalidates both my genders, sticking me in a dysphoric androgynous middle.

Long Road likes this.
  4. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I don't encourage it or insist on it but it wouldn't bother me if people used either pronoun to refer to me, just as long as I knew they were referring to me, I don't really see language as anything more than a tool and have a pretty indifferent attitude towards it all.

#4 fadedstar, May 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2018
    Long Road likes this.
  5. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

Having said that if I could sense a malicious intent behind the usage of a pronoun I wouldn't be okay with it. So for me it's the meta-communication or intent behind what is being said that really matters.

Long Road likes this.
  6. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not publicly, but I do sometimes called myself "Lauren" in private.

Long Road likes this.
  7. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am starting to think that my pronouns may be situational. That is, my work persona is male based. I developed how I work and interact with others in a professional environment based on pretending to be a boy... so "He" feels comfortable and not even dysphoric there.

With my friends, I reeeeeally like they/them. I feel a closer bond with people who know and actively use "they/them" pronouns for me. I very much appreciate it because not everyone is comfortable with it.

but, in trans* events and some parts of online I prefer "she/her". Mainly because I don't really get it anywhere else but I do like fem pronouns too.

I have not come out at work yet... when I do come out, I may find that asking those who work closest with me to use they/them works but I am not sure. For now it doesn't bug me if they use "he"... so I'll have to see.

Long Road likes this.
  8. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my friends uses he/she/they and another friend uses he and she but not they. So yeah there’s people out there and at the end of day you should use whatever makes you most comfortable

Long Road likes this.
  9. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I technically do. They is fine with me, although I prefer he and she.
    I am so androgynous that I get called both he and she IRL without asking for it.
    Mostly, I get called a dude and a he in contexts where I "count" as "one of the guys".
    But I am a girl, so? I get called she, and that's alright.
    I guess I'm just very "whatever" about pronouns.

10. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For about 2-3 years I didn’t like how they/them felt on me so I typically either let it slide and went by my perceived gender (she/her) or told people to use he/him. Nowadays I guess if I could care less and don’t have the time / energy to explain, I just let people assume I’m a girl and use she/her, but now I prefer they/them because it’s just the easiest and gives me the least dysphoria and all of my close friends use they/them for me.... but sometimes I think it’s fun when people use he/him as well, my girlfriend does this sometimes as she’s the only one whose really cool w/ that kinda thing. So they/them or he/him are fine for me, but honestly if you’re nonbinary or bigender or whatever and you just happen to prefer only binary pronouns that’s totally fine!!

11. E H Wildflower

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've met a fair number of people who say you can use any pronoun for them, but it seems that most of them usually get called by the pronoun associated with the gender they are typically perceived as.

#11 E H Wildflower, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  12. Weird Dog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I go by 'them' because it's easier for most people, and because 'she' can cause dysphoria in the wrong moments. Ideally people would be able to tell what gender I am at any moment without me telling them or correcting them, but I can change genders over a period of 3-6 hours, so it's just not viable for the average person to pick up on that when I can't pass currently and can't shape shift my face or clothes to project those signals.
    It also means people can't default to 'she' if I leave it open-ended.