1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like the place where you live?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BadassFrost, Mar 10, 2018.

?

Do you like the place where you live?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Hard to say...

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there anyone here from California? I've always kinda fantasized about moving out there. Is it nice? Is the weather good? Is it really as LGB friendly as people say?

2. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not particularly. Too many people. I’d prefer some solitude

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The weather on the coast is nice but good luck being able to afford to live there. The valley is hot af and the Sierra where I live is nice most of the year but it snows in the winter and there’s not much to do.

Way too many people.

Homophobia is everywhere but it’s definitely better here than elsewhere. Just like most places, the cities are liberal and small towns have small minds.

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love it and I hate it here. It’s beautiful but also lonely.

5. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My other post was a reply to you.

6. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm blessed to live in a place where it's not only OK to be gay, it's looked down upon when you treat someone poorly because of their sexuality. Everyone is open and accepting.

7. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sounds great. Even when I thought I was straight I always believed that it’s none of my business what people do and it’s not my place to criticize or condemn. In other words, unless you are committing a crime or hurting someone, who the hell cares. Enjoy yourself, life is harsh enough already. Why make it worse?

8. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's so many angles that I can take answering that question.

Nice weather? No, at least not in my opinion. I prefer cooler weather. It's hot and sticky here a lot of the year. Winter is pretty nice though.

In terms of LGBT acceptance? Hard to say, I'd say FL is about 50/50 overall. In my particular area, I'm not really sure. The east coast and Key West is great though, so I've heard.

I currently live in a suburban area, which I prefer over a big city or a small town. I used to live in a small town, and one thing I hated about it was that everyone knows you, and a lot of people are close minded. Having gone to high school there, rumors would spread like wildfire if the wrong person got a hold of new information about a person. That's why I remained in the closet for quite some time. It wasn't until my senior year that I really came out, and even then I was careful and only told trusted friends. I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I've never lived in a big city, and I'm not sure if I could.

Overall? Hard to say. There are certain things I do like, but there's also things I don't like.

9. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's going to be a mixed bag. CA is huge. You always hear about it being LGB-friendly in LA and SF, but go other places in CA and you probably would be shocked at the conservativeness and homogeneity.

You couldn't pay me to live in CA, to be honest--like, anywhere there. My mother hated it when my parents and sister lived there (SF area). And their weather-related issues creep me out. The mudslides, the earthquakes, the fires. No thank you. Also, not being from a "real" major city, I used to romanticize them until I lived in some of them. I've found that they're not really for me (too overwhelming in many ways), but college towns are. College towns are like the best of all worlds. Because of that, I am a little intrigued by Berkeley, as I've never been there. But other than that...you might like certain parts of CA, depends what you're looking for.

10. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in the bluest part of an otherwise VERY red state. I like my city and neighborhood but it's still Kentucky so there's definitely some fear of homophobia. I'm protected against discrimination by city law but not state law. People are generally pretty friendly here, there's a ton to do, and the cost of living is really reasonable. We have AMAZING food and bars. Traffic and crowds aren't bad at all, and in a half hour you can be out in the country. Winters are mild and summers aren't too oppressively humid. I wish more major concerts came through here--usually I have to drive to a larger city for those.

The thing I like the least, and what ultimately may not keep me here, is that my family is in California. It's hard to get home, and with the three-hour time difference it's hard to even find a time to talk on the phone. I wouldn't move to a big city, but I'd eventually like to move somewhere in the western part of the country. Closer to family, less humidity, more progressive, more sunshine. We'll see if/when that happens.

11. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I currently live in the Northern Suburbs of Auckland. Beaches very close by and a lot of friendly people. Quite different to the southern parts of the city where I grew up.

Other than that, not much happens in New Zealand. Can't argue, nor can I complain. Pretty good place to grow up I reckon.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mainly live in Montevideo, Uruguay. Montevideo is a city with a lot of potential, but nothing ever happens. Things are pretty much exactly as they were in the 80s or so; it gets boring, and annoying when it has to do with our city's public transportation infrastructure. We only have slow, high-floor buses and probably will never have anything else.

On the plus side, Uruguay is a quiet, stable, socially progressive country with nice beaches. Neighbouring countries like Argentina offer more opportunities (I love Buenos Aires with a passion) but actually living there can be difficult. Argentina and Brazil have been politically and economically unstable for decades; on the other hand our next-nearest neighbour Chile has achieved stability, but is prone to natural disasters, particularly the strongest earthquakes anywhere on Earth, and the climate of Santiago is terrible. Anywhere else in Latin America tends to have much lower living standards than either Uruguay or its neighbours.

13. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I quite enjoy it! I'm by the Atlantic so there is a very nautical feel to everything (the neighboring high schools have mascots like Navigators and Crabbers) and there's a Week Long Pride Month Event this month that I am SO looking forward to!! Also the food is good. My only gripe would be the stark race gap but that's everywhere in the US, I think?

#73 18breanna, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  14. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I quite enjoy it! I'm by the Atlantic so there is a very nautical feel to everything (the neighboring high schools have mascots like Navigators and Crabbers) and there's a Week Long Pride Month Event this month near the beach that I am SO looking forward to!!

Also the food is good. My only gripe would be the stark race/class gap but that's everywhere in the US, I think? Also the traffic in the Northern part of the state is some of the worst in the US, not exaggerating, because of its proximity the US capital, a large metropolitan area. But the homes and schools in that area happen to be the best due to the prevalence of high-wage government employees living there in the suburbs just outside the capital.

...plus they have IKEA and as a lesbian that gives me life

15. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in a kind of rural area in one of the most northern southern states in the U.S. I love where I live because of the fact that I was born and raised here so it's home, and I also very much love the scenery and the weather. (we get to experience every season in itself) The mountains, lakes, streams, and rivers are beautiful and the night sky is a wonder to look at without all the lights, buildings, and sounds of a city. However. My hate trumps my love for where I live. I really hate the politics here, my state is very much red, there's not really any major interests for the LGBT community on a state level, in fact I feel like the politicians here have no general interests that are good for the people only ones that a good for themselves. The poverty in some areas make you think 3rd world country. The animal laws are horrible, the governor is a crook. Pollution laws are never enforced, so some areas and streams that could be beautiful are jammed with pollution. There are tons of racist people, but actually not as many homophobes as you'd think. The drug problem is way out of control and nothing at all is done about it. And the law enforcement are super discriminative, not discrimination on a race level, but more of discrimination based on class.

Overall I'm going to have to go with no, I do not like the place I live. haha

16. Iley28

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in a conservative place. Its hard to find other LGBTQ member here..all are in the closet..

17. caustic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in a cliche small, dead end town in North America, so while I can appreciate the good things that come with that, I do really want to get out (yet another cliche, I know). Having been born and raised in a city in the UK, where I am now couldn't be more different, and that has a lot of impact, too. I felt like I fit back there in a way I don't here, and it's a suffocating feeling, so yeah; I'm not a huge fan of my current residence.

18. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I quite like Chicago. I came here for grad school and never left. It's got big city resources but a very active civic life which gives the various neighborhoods a sort of small-town feel. Plus where I live you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a gay person...

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My area is marginally accepting of LGBT people, and I can’t wait to get out. For a couple years I lived 150 miles west in Kalamazoo, which is a very progressive city that voted overwhelmingly to adopt an anti-discrimination ordinance back in 2009. I’m not sure where we’ll end up after college, but I sure wouldn’t mind going back there.

Michigan has no hate crimes law or discrimination protection so it all depends on which county/city you live in. Obviously things could be a lot better, but it could also be a lot worse. I’m just grateful that I wasn’t born somewhere even more conservative, like say, Mississippi.

#79 AwesomGaytheist, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  20. Generic Potato

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i live in melbourne and i like it here. Its a great place to be gay as everyone is generally very accepting of
    lgbt. the weather here is literal trash though.