1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell my parents I’m their 3rd child in a same-sex relationship?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by U03kjm059, Jun 1, 2018.

1. U03kjm059

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey there, I’m a 26 year old female who has recently moved back home temporarily whilst moving to a different city. I’ve always dated and been interested in men until a few years ago when I found myself feeling attracted to one particular girl and girls in general. This girl also identified as straight but we became close and then fell in love and now we’re in an exclusive relationship. (5 months official, so still fairly new)

Because I’m back at home, I want her to come visit and she wants to come to me also.

I don’t have a close relationship with my mum, and we don’t talk about personal things like boys/feelings. What makes it harder is that I have 3 siblings, 2 of whom are in same sex relationships. My brother has always identified as gay, and my sister is kind of the same as me - loves a girl for the first time. When she told my mum she had a girlfriend, my mum just said “we’ll i’ve been through it all before” but in an unpleasant, slightly passive aggressive way.

I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for a situation like mine where I’m one of several siblings in a same-sex relationship, and also just in general about sharing things with family I don’t generally share with.

As a side note: I am very open with my friends/my sister/strangers with regards to my girlfriend, it’s just my mum and dad I’m finding it hard to talk to.

Please feel free to comment and ask questions.

Thanks a bunch,
    Kathryn

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No matter what you're going to say, they're going to be upset, but this is who you are and this is something that they have to get used to. There's no easy way around it - you just have to tell them. Be firm, be honest, but be gentle. Parents just want the best for their children and most will feel like homosexuality isn't the case.

There could also be an issue of wanting grand-children, but there are many options for same-sex couples nowadays.

But stay strong. Rely on your other siblings for support, or whatever support group you have.

Who knows, though. Maybe they'll just laugh at the coincidence and take it easier than you expect?

Best of luck~

3. assassass

assassass Guest

Wow, here I was feeling weird for already having a lesbian sister and you have two LGBTQ+ siblings. I can't imagine how much harder that must be, although I certainly can relate. Personally I`m kind of just waiting to be in your sort of situation where I can come out by simply introducing my parents to a same-sex/nb partner.

While your mom's reaction to your sister's choice in partner is not particularly encouraging, your coming out may actually be what pushes her to grow up and truly accept her children for who they are. On the other hand, she could have a similar reaction to her past ones, but it doesn't sound like she would behave any worse either. Of course, you know your mom better than any of here do, but if you aren't risking a close relationship with her given what you've already stated, I think it would be worth being open with her about your sexuality.

Best of luck!

4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This may seem strange, but I am actually really jealous of you! I wish I had a queer sibling. I only have one sister and even though we are super close being bi is probably the one thing about me that she can't relate to. I wish I could share my experiences with her. If you are feeling unsure I would maybe try to talk to one of your siblings, they will get what you're going through and then they can help you open up to your parents. I am sure you're parents will love and accept you.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have to focus on yourself and not become distracted by your brother and sisters sexuality. If you pay too much attention to the fact that they are gay, you'll take your eye off what's happening with you.

My best advice would be to confide in your sister and brother first and just be as honest with your parents as they have been. It may not fill them with joy to hear that you are gay too, but you cannot be responsible for how they feel. They will need to go through the stages of processing and understanding, just as you have done and that's really quite normal. Often the initial reaction that we get from our parents isn't the final reaction. In the heat of the moment words are uttered and comments made without lots of consideration and forethought, but after a period of reflection and settling most parents adjust, adapt and come to terms with things.

Perhaps the best thing to do is share the news and leave it there. Don't get involved in a tit for tat exchange with either of your parents if they are not immediately receptive, because it will not help. If things go south, just leave the room and allow things to settle down. You'll have done the important part of sharing the news and the rest is largely up to them.

I notice you are in the UK, so I would recommend you check out the website for FFLAG. It's a good resource for parents and other family members who need help and support.