1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice to help guide my son through his journey

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by MamaIcePup, May 8, 2018.

1. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My 15 year old son came out to me about a year or so ago. He also came out to his friends, but no one in the family. His grandfather was dying at the time and, while he seemed to want to come out to his father, decided the timing was a bit off. He wanted to let his dad deal with the loss of his own father before asking him to digest more.

His father and I live together. We are not married. His father is a bit more old school, well, a lot more old school in his thinking and views on the world. He has never said anything mean, but has made a few ignorant comments about homosexuality. We are all Catholic, but I am modern and progressive, as many Catholics are. I practice, his father and that side of the family do not, for the most part. Maybe that is why they are more behind in their thinking, but my son has since back peddled and no longer wants to come out to his dad.

I believe he actually does want to, but is afraid. I truly believe his father would ultimately be fine, though not sure of his initial reaction. I want to guide him to come out, but don' want to push. I guess part of me feels he will be unburdened in some way if he does, and, if the reaction is bad then he is better off knowing than living in secret. I really don't think it would be like that, though, but admit it could be rough initially.

To compound the problem, he goes to Catholic school. Again, progressive Catholics embrace all, but not all Catholics are progressive. Plus, it is his first year in high school, so he doesn' know anyone really. I believe the atmosphere is more accepting than he thinks it is, but there is ignorance everywhere.

The public school in our town is not really an option. My son is straight A+, honors classes, principal's list, heck, even an academic scholarship. The public school has about a 40% proficiency rating and a not-so-great reputation for crime. And, to switch schools, we would have to tell his father something, so we're back to the does he or doesn't he come out question.

I have reached out to a few resources looking for a teen support group for him, PFLAG, Fortunate Families, a priest who works with the LGBT community, but either I get no response (the former) or they are unaware of a local teen group (the latter).

I will continue my search for resources for him. I am here, I suppose, looking for support and, perhaps advice, for myself to help him.

I didn't realize how long this would be. If you've read this far, thank you for listening. Sometimes just writing things down helps. If there are no responses, I'm OK with that. I've unburdened myself a bit. And, if there are responses, thank you in advance.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, you're simply an awesome parent, and your son is incredibly lucky to have you in his corner.

It wasn't clear whether PFLAG was a resource you didn't hear back from. If so, I'd reach out again, or perhaps contact a regional or national office. They are almost entirely volunteer run (as we are) and so sometimes things slip through the cracks.

As for school, do you have a sense of how accepting the school administration is? That has a huge impact on the experience students will have. One other option to explore might be charter schools or one of the home/charter school hybrids. Some are excellent, others not so much, but if your son is a high-performing student that could actually be a good fit for him. The only issue there will be making sure he has opportunities to socialize, which are often a problem for homeschooled kids.

The situation with your husband is complicated. My guess is he will probably be fine with it, but may take some time to adjust. You might explore with your son whether he would want you to tell his father (if you were willing). There are pros and cons to that, but sometimes it can be the right thing to do.

I wish you the best, and encourage you to stick around and continue to use EC as a sounding board. There are a bunch of other parents, as well as later-in-life LGBT folks who are also parents, that are part of this community.

3. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

4. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow! I sure wish my father was as open minded as you are, it would have made so much of a difference in my life.

MamaIcePup likes this.
  5. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, Chip. I will try PFLAG again. And, thank you for the advice on school. I am not so sure about the home school thing, though.

I have offered to tell his father if he wants me to, but it is his decision and I'm sure he'll make it when he's ready. I think finding him a group to speak to would be helpful.

Oh, and, as for his current school, it's hard to tell the atmosphere. He has specifically asked me not to nose around. Again, his decision in his time.

Thank you again!

6. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I hope you're father has come, or will come, to be more open-minded. Good luck to you!

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As Chip said, you really are a great parent for everything you're doing for your son.

With his dad, you can talk with your son about if he would want to come out to his dad, but ultimately it is his choice of how, when, and why. Will he be okay with it? Going off of what you said, probably, but it is still his choice. Sometimes it's hard to come out even knowing the outcome will be okay, that's what happened with me.

You mentioned he came out to his friends a year ago, do these friends not go to his school? That's my guess since you said it's his first year at his school. If they are there, you could remind him that he has a support system in school, if not, then he still has a system of friends outside of school.

I definitely would continue checking on things for him, but respect his space and make sure he's only doing things because he wants to. Like you've even acknowledged, it's his decision in his time.

Just keep being awesome!

8. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! The friends I mentioned were in his Middle School and now he is in High School, so, yes, new kids. But, he does still speak with his old friends, even if he is not with them in school anymore.

9. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He died the day before Thanksgiving. It's ok, a part of me is still angry but a part of me feels free.
    I like Chierro's response above, if I had a son in the same situation I would have him take the lead because its his life. Then I would do everything in my power to help him fulfill his needs and wishes.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The homeschool thing definitely has pros and cons, and isn't for everyone. For super self-motivated, high achieving kids with a good teacher/mentor, it can be awesome, in that they can learn faster and more deeply than what even the best private schools can do. The catch is finding the right combination of school and teacher/mentor. One of the models that seems to work well is where students go on campus one or two days a week, meet with a teacher/mentor and other students, and do work on their own the rest of the week. Other models involve meeting with the teacher on a regular basis (once or twice a week) for an hour or two to review work and get guidance, and then doing assignments online. Again, it definitely isn't for everyone, but if it is something that appeals to you and to him, it might be worth exploring.

PFLAG are really good people in general, but the chapters are very loosely connected, and so much depends on whether the voluteers are staying on top of inquiries. You might also check to see if there are any local PFLAG events (meetings, socials, etc) and just attend one. Very welcoming environment.

Finally, you might let your son know about EC. An awful lot of the people here are in situations similar to his, though often in positions where *no one* knows, so we are their only support. And there's a lot of compassion and empathy here.

11. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again, Chip. You've been really helpful!

I did tell my son about EC. I am hoping he joins.

12. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry, John. Strange about Thanksgiving. My father died a few days after Thanksgiving (many years ago) and my father-in-law died a few days before Thanksgiving. It's not easy to lose a parent.

13. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would be good. ECs is a very positive atmosphere for people. It's turned me around 180 degrees.

14. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Turned you around in what way?

15. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After much reflection, fact checkings, comparing info and stories with other ECs members, I can safely say I am an extreme case. Between the ages of 14-16 I as so "brainwashed" I had no idea I was gay. (I was basically exposed to proxy "conversion therapy".- we'll leave it at that for tonight.)

16. MamaIcePup

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does sound like a struggle and I am glad that you found EC. Stay strong and true to yourself.

17. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    EC does help. I’m a middle aged bisexual man, and I have been helped by many of the members here. I think high schools are a little more accepting these days. Coming out would have been very difficult in my day

TrevinMichael and MamaIcePup like this.