1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian relationships not for the faint of heart

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SoulSearch, May 29, 2018.

1. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So ... wow! I'm experiencing the beginnings my first lesbian relationship and this weekend I discovered that when two women with strong feelings and some personal insecurities get together it can be INTENSE. My relationship is, of course, complicated by me being married and her being thousands of miles away and not wanting to date a married woman, but I'm imagining that this isn't uncommon with women who are finding real emotional connection for perhaps the first time in their lives.

I told her I was going to try to back off and get over my non-friend feelings for her and she freaked out and totally shut me out for the entire day (we normally chat online throughout the day). I spent the day in tears and having to tell myself to put one foot in front of the other and breathe just to get through my daily routine. It was horrible. I missed her so much and couldn't figure out why she reacted like she did. We finally talked late last night and I think things are OK now. It's a shitty situation. We are committed to being friends, but we also acknowledged the other feelings that we can't act on. So we're in this weird relationship-not-relationship situation and both of us have decisions to make before we can move forward.

Just venting here, I guess, since I have no one to talk to. I feel really alone sometimes with these feelings.

2. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds familiar. That middle paragraph does, anyway.

She does not want you to get over her, and that's why she reacted like she did.

SoulSearch likes this.
  3. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And I think I'm kind of ok with that at this point. I'm trying to just let things be what they are without labels. I'm not good at that though.

4. SweetT80

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds very familiar. My trigger crush rejected me, but we talk and text more now than ever before. Saying goodnight to each other. Flirting more, touching, eye gazes, etc.

I asked her did she want me to be good and STOP flirting/making sexual comments with her since we are both married. Her comment was " That's not for me to decide". Wtf?? I think she is in denial about her romantic feelings. We are defiantly emotionally attatched.

I feel your pain as Im going through it right now too. Are you in love with your husband still? Do you want a divorce?

5. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me, neither! And it is soooo hard to be friends with someone you have feelings for, especially if you can't really be together.

6. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like you get it.

I’m not in love with my husband, but I do love him very much in a non-romantic sense. We’ve been together since high school and he’s a wonderful person and an amazing father. I’m comfortable with him. He makes me feel safe. I rely on him and for the most part I really enjoy being with him. I feel like a fool to even consider leaving my marriage. It’s a good partnership. So, I’m not sure if I want a divorce. It breaks my heart imagining a life without him. And there are children to consider. I feel a lot of guilt.

But her ... these feelings aren’t going away. They get stronger every day and I wonder if we are somehow meant to be together, if she’s what’s been missing from my life. I have strong physical desire I haven’t felt in years about her. When I’m with her I feel happy. If I could somehow know that we could be together then divorce might seem like the next step, but I’m not sure there’s a realistic way for me to be with her. I’m so torn. It’s agonizing.

7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has she expressed a desire to leave her husband? She is married too right? I have no idea if this would work or if your husbands would be okay with this, but have you considered merging your relationships together, and doing some version of nonmonogamy? Could you both stay married if you both still want to be and be together as a couple? Would your husbands accept that? Because then you wouldn't have to break up your family or leave your children but you could also be happy?

8. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She is single and doesn’t want to be with a married woman. That’s part of my dilemma. She’s alone and very much wants a committed relationship. It’s not fair for me to pursue her if I’m not ever going to be available. When I told my therapist that she doesn’t want to be involved with a married woman, the therapist said, “but she is.” So there’s that. Nothing physical has happened, but we are definitely emotionally attached and attracted to each other.

9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with your therapist. It sounds like it is too late for her to pull back now. Like it or not, she is involved with you emotionally. Why is she so bothered about you being married?

10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is she only looking for a monogamous relationship with you?

11. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How does your husband feel about all this? If you could convince her to be with you while married, would he accept this arrangement?

12. idsm

As harsh as it sounds, at some point you will have to make a decision.

Love4Ever and LostInDaydreams like this.
  13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's unreasonable of her to not want to be in an official arrangement with a married woman. I'd be wary of trying to persuade her otherwise. I'm sure she has her reasons, and if you were to persuade her, you might be setting yourself up for more pain in the long-term if she were to change her mind. She may want something from a relationship that your situation won't allow. It's sometimes easy to overlook these kinds of differences at the beginning of a relationship, but they often crop back up later on. If she arrives at that decision on her own, then it'd be a different matter, but I still think you'd need to be cautious.

#13 LostInDaydreams, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    normalwolverine likes this.
  14. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have you ever actually met her in real life OP? If you've not then its not a relationship, its an online pen pal. The person could be anyone winding you up,having you on,stringing you along etc.It could be a man, a teenager an 80 year old, anyone.
    My advice would be to try to come out and meet gay women in real life and work through what you are going to do about your husband as well.

15. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The OP has said that she knows the woman in real life. If I remember correctly, they were friends first but now are more.

SoulSearch and Poppy43 like this.
  16. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I see, o.k then in that situation I'd ask her what she wants to do after I'd thought through a few ideas about what I wanted as well.Thanks Love4Ever.

Love4Ever likes this.
  17. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She is looking for a monogamous relationship in general. She's been alone for 20 years (realized she was gay about a year ago, so that probably has something to do with why she wasn't succeeding in male/female relationships). She has some insecurities stemming from childhood (abandonment, etc.) and wants to be someone's first choice, which I understand.

normalwolverine likes this.
  18. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see. Well, that does complicate things some. I guess this really comes down to how much you want to be with her. Since she wants to only be with you, would you leave your husband to be with her? Could you and your husband separate, and only remain as a "couple" for your kids? Could you just be married in name and just become friends? Or would she require that you completely separate, i.e. divorce and move out of your home without your husband or kids? How much are you willing to give up to be with her?

#18 Love4Ever, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    SoulSearch likes this.
  19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do either your kids or husband know about your feelings for this woman?

20. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My husband knows I'm attracted to her and feel a connection with her and that nothing physical has happened between us. I haven't gone into detail and I don't think he understands the extent of my feelings for her. He seemed to sort of understand that the feelings came out of left field and have left me pretty confused. He doesn't want a divorce. Pulled the "how could you do that to your children" card on me fast.