1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name changing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MartyMcP, May 29, 2018.

1. MartyMcP

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Soooo..

Sometime next year, I plan on making the move to have my name legally changed (I'm still a ways away from surgery but the name really needs to go)

For those of you who have changed yours. How did you tell your families? Anyone to any creative/cute name reveal??

Really not expecting this to go overly well with my family and most of the people I know, so there's that too.

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my family when I came out, by signing the coming out letter with my chosen name. For me that kind of solidified my choice and that was when "Alec" really became my name.

Planning on getting my name and gender marker legally changed in the next few months.

3. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out to my family, I was living with my mother. I had a habit of writing my name on whatever food I hadn't finished and stored in ziplock bags, kind of like how kids do. My family had a habit of taking that food and eating it. I'm not quite sure why I wrote my name on it, I suppose it made them feel a little guilty before they opened it and ate it anyway. So after I came out to them I started writing my real/preferred name on the bags instead. They were a bit confused at first and would ask around 'whose is this?' before I snatched it from them and told them it was mine. It at least stopped them from eating it for a while. Eventually, however, I found my food disappearing again so I assumed at that point they had gotten used to my name.

Obviously this might not work for you, but that's what I did. I'm planning on legally changing my name sometime in the next few months.

RichieCat likes this.
  4. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've told my mom about 6 or 7 times now lol... she says she didn't know or understand each time... then I tell her again later after she uses my birth name... ** shrugs ** nothing special... usually it's a discussion and me trying to politely remind her that we've talked about this stuff already.

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my family first and hadn't decided on a solid name, I let them give me ideas and then just let them know which one I'd decided on when I'd chosen. Albiet it turned out to be one that both my parents don't really like but hey, it's my name not theirs.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was a minor when I changed it, so both my parents actually signed the name change document to allow me to change it (otherwise, I would have waited about 6 months to do it. I would not have been able to enter post-secondary education with my name :\ )

Let's just say they knew at that point x)