1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Abortion now legal in Ireland

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Loves books, May 26, 2018.

1. Loves books

The name of the referendum wasn't exactly that but that is the end result. The whole country put it to a vote and the yes vote won. So we repealed the 8th amenment which held the unborn baby's life to the same value as the mothers. It was the reason abortion was illegal in Ireland. Today the Taoiseach assured the no voters that late term abortion and abortion because of disability would not be allowed. I voted yes for the baby's and mothers who wouldn't survive the pregnancy, for the young teenagers who get pregnant and the women who where raped. I didn't vote yes for people to not use contraception because they can just get an abortion. I don't really agree but I'm not the one who would have to raise a kid who wasn't wanted. Apparently 66.4 of the country agreed. No more 8th amendment and no more deaths like Savita Halappanavar who died due to sepsis because doctors wouldn't abort her baby.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't know abortion was illegal in Ireland.

3. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    66.4% voted yes? This wasn't all that controversial then. It would be like if the U.S. would've just legalized gay marriage by popular vote.
    I'm confused on how abortion is legal now. If it's only legal in the case where the mother's life is in danger, or the baby is going to die anyway, it's common sense that abortion should be legal in those cases, and I find it a bit disturbing that that wasn't legal beforehand.
    If that's what we just did, then I'd be surprised it wasn't a greater percentage that voted yes.

#3 Tritri, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  4. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Let's face it: If men had babies then abortions would be legal everywhere.

I am surprised that abortion was not legal in cases of rape and incest in Ireland though.

#4 KyleD, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's probably true.

I hope Brazil takes examples like this and allow women to decide in the future. However, i'm not too positive that my country will advance like that in the near future. = /

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If men had babies then men would have vaginas then they would be the ones associated with childbirth giving them the name the "wo"mb of "man" I.e. woman

If "men" had babies then they would be the physically weaker sex and then "women" would be the ones with higher tesosterone and more physical dominance whilst the "men" do the home domain. Then "women" would be the ones taking the professional roles in law due ""men" not being mentally capable" due to higher estrogen levels and to "men" having to stay home with the babies he carried.

Basically, men won't have babies unless they were called women in this alternate reality and women were called men in this alternate reality - but then itd just be women and men as it has been.

Unless I've flawed somewhere ....

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    There are cultures where men stay at home and women "work" so that is not particularly true.

Furthermore, I'm just trying to point out that the illegality of abortion is partly due to the attempts of men to control a woman's body. 14 years in jail? That is ludicrous.

8. Loves books

But the majority of the country voted, men included. I just think it's stupid to have a man on tv talking about how great it is abortion is legal when he will never be pregnant. It is also stupid hearing men talk about how bad abortion is. There was a priest on the tv also, and he said that the catholic church's stance would never change on abortion. But then again the Catholic Church seems resistant to change of any kind. It was a bit weird to see people celebtrating a law that technically allows the murder of babies, in a Catholic country which teaches abortion is murder. However it wasn't that hard to get an abortion, most people travelled to England to have one.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that's good. Keep abortion safe and legal.

#9 Andrew99, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  10. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good news for Ireland, then. I’m fine with abortions in the first trimester. I wish my state would legalize it too. I’ve read the accounts of women who received “back-alley” abortions and it’s so awful, much better to keep it safe and legal.

Also if the people protesting care so much, why don’t they raise the child themselves?

11. Gamer77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m glad to here that. I think options are important for people. I’m also in the middle of debates. I don’t think I would ever get an abortion but that doesn’t mean other women shouldn’t have the choice.

12. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot was made of the UK's more relaxed abortion laws during the Irish campaign. What didn't fully emerge amid the hyperbole was a simple fact... that women from Ireland would make the journey across the Irish Sea to have an abortion in the UK. The assistance offered to Irish women by the UK has been one of the reasons for our historically higher rates.

13. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My country has a similar abortion law to what Ireland had and trust me; there is nothing wonderful about seeing a 12 year old girl who has been raped being forced to deliver a baby.

#13 KyleD, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  14. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's something similar in Poland like it was in Ireland... in Poland, abortion is still illegal, except for some situations like a rape, but their politicians even wanted to strengthen that law, so that only women in a very critical life endangering situation would be able to have a legal abortion (or maybe not even then, I'm not sure about the details). Fortunately it did not pass, and only because of the strong voice of public. But to this day, Polish women, when they want to have an abortion, usually travel to the neighboring countries like mine to have it legally done.

15. Ethan2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ireland is changing for the better really freaking fast and I love it.