1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon music is has be figured OUT

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by KayNB, May 26, 2018.

1. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last night I looked at suggested playlists in Amazon Prime music and the top result: "Boss, not Bossy" which is an all-women playlist full of empowering music ♥ Then I look down the list at other suggestions and I realize it's got my current music tastes pegged

Here are some of my favorite playlists showing up in my suggestions
    • Boss, not Bossy
    • Never Give Up
    • Miley Cyrus and More
    • Powerful Women of Pop
    • Survival Kit
    • Best of Kelly Clarkson
    • Pop After Work
    This paints a picture of me that really matches who I am trying to express myself as being. It's literally the me I imagine myself being as I open up and come out/transition more. A powerful feminine person who can out business the boys any day. Someone who loves her inner lioness and doesn't hide her love of pop culture and maternal side just because she works in a masculine-person-dominated professional environment.

What are some of the songs/playlists that your music services recommend and what do they say about you?

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s great that the music you like reflects who you are.

Spotify suggests that I enjoy an eclectic selection of music that is mostly of poor taste.

3. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never really pay much attention; they rarely get my lists right as far as what I like or want to hear. I think that's because my musical taste is so eclectic and inconsistent that it really confuses algorithms. I create my own playlists from my music collection, and I have playlists for just about anything you can think of--practically every genre, playlists for different moods, favorite songs right now, favorite songs of all time, etc. Put a lot of work into the playlists.

I'm getting ready to check out some of the playlists you list, though, because I do like a lot of pop.

And I like your self-description. What industry do you work in? I work in IT, so my work environments have generally tended towards male domination. My current one, luckily, doesn't because I'm the only technical employee where I work.

@Totesgaybrah, love your username, lol.

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Same.

Thanks!

5. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think my recommended playlists basically are trying to tell me I'm difficult to figure out, and that's probably true.

6. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work for a utility company, lots of ladder-climbing tool belt wearing men who drive big utility vans lol... but they're good guys :slight_smile: I am just not like them is all.

My musical taste is a little eclectic but I definitely go through phases. Usually I rotate between EDM, hip hop, and pop music... sometimes I go on 90s mainstream and alternative benders ** giggles ** generally as I switch it'd be pretty easy to figure out. Like I've been listening to artists like Lenka, La Roux, and Rachel Platten the most which when combined with my shopping history is probably why queued amazon to figure out "girl power please" lol...

7. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would guess you're quite a bit younger than I am, and I have noticed that younger people seem to really rely on music streaming services to listen to music and don't really own much music. Do you actually have a music collection? Just curious, don't mean to change the subject of the thread. Owning my music has always been pretty important to me, even if I didn't actually purchase it (lol), so that I can always have it, and I find it interesting how younger people are fine with their music being playlists on Spotify, YouTube, Amazon or whatever.

8. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 36 but certainly a techie... my music collection is blended...

In my early 20s I was a professional DJ playing residencies at seedy gay bars... So I have a case and a few boxes full of CDs. I'd estimate volume of about 400-500 disks total. I've burned about 10% of these CDs to MP3s that I keep copies on my main computer and my main laptop.

Then I got into streaming and purchasing digital music. So my amazon account I have somewhere in the neighborhood of like 2000-3000 songs. probably about 80% of those I also keep copies of on my hard drives as well.

Then I usually use the radio and streaming services as a way to find artists that I am interested in purchasing more music from.

Of all of the music above... it's 100% legal. I am deeply opposed to piracy. There are only very rare situations where I consider it to be acceptable (The key one being if a publisher has stopped selling an important / rare work and there is no other way to get it).

#8 KayNB, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  9. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, well then we're basically the same age. Your background is very cool, and I also have cases, boxes and bags of CDs. It was hard to manage because I used to move every few years, it seemed, so it was very important to have the best songs from them on some "mp3 player" and now my phone.

A lot of the music I have is hard to purchase anymore. I like a lot of old remixes and radio edits that are hard to find. I've bought as much of it as I can on sites like Discogs, MusicStack, Gemm, etc, and have even bought albums on eBay and gotten a DJ to "convert" them to mp3s for me.

I'm not opposed to piracy. But in my early 20s, I was a "struggling musician" of sorts, i.e. music production and songwriting, working with singers, and the "up and coming" musicians would often talk about their views on piracy. Many of us kind of felt like the one line you said, i.e. we just wanted our music out there for people to discover us and feel like they wanted to purchase our music, and if it meant they originally downloaded it then okay. Music streaming services weren't really a thing then.

There are also particular artists who always make high-quality music, in my opinion, (or they're a guilty pleasure or whatever) that, no matter what, I'm buying their music. If it's an expensive international-only release that has bonus tracks on it that aren't available in the US, it doesn't matter. So, we used to talk a lot about piracy and quality/worth of music.

10. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually got involved in DJing because as an EDM artist it's how you play live and I wanted to make EDM... I've composed a couple hundred songs and remixed about half as many. Definitely they were my struggling musician days and they ended very badly with lots of pain. The lessons I learned have done me well in my professional life later though :slight_smile:

Rare tracks that you can't get anywhere else... to me... that's proper justification for piracy. Especially if it's a remix of a song you've paid for... if the remix is a bootleg, then the remix artist doesn't really have much right to their derivative works IPR....so like it does get messy... but like for example Bodak Yellow by Kardi B it played a lot on the radio when I went back home to Las Vegas last year... I loved the song, and wanted to be able to play it whenever I wanted so I bought it no hesitation ♥