1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BlueLion, May 11, 2018.

1. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fair enough. I was wrong.

Just as a side point, Russia is in Europe, I would say.

I still think it was an outrage that the winner said that the next Eurovision would be in Jerusalem. It should be in Tel Aviv.

2. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Tel Aviv would a safer option. However, Jerusalem has more potential locations to hold the contest.

Anyway, the decision hasn't been approved by the EBU yet.

3. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I thought that it was a very politically motivated decision to announce that when she found out she'd won. Israel did host the competition in 1999 though and that was in Jerusalem (I'm sure it was controversial back then too) . It doesn't have to be held in the capital city so if it was anywhere else it wouldn't have been noticed but in this case I suspect there is a political agenda for it not been held in the internationally recognised capital unfortunately.

Only time will tell what happens here as BlueLion says, it has to be approved by the EBU first.

4. Nachtmahr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hadn’t watched that shit in years because the so called “contest” has turned into a complete joke long ago and it isn’t even about actual music anymore but political agendas determine who wins this in the end. Not to mention that most contributions aren’t worth calling it music anyway.
    Additionally EUROvision doesn’t even focus on Europe with countries that aren’t geographically in Europe like Australia and Israel participating and in the years before even countries like Turkey or Morocco that are neither geographically in nor culturally anywhere close to European at all quite the opposite actually partaking. What do those countries have to do in a European song “contest”? That makes just as little sense as if Germany was to partake in an East Asian contest or France in an African contest or England in an Arabian contest! They should just call it the ‘broadcast organisation contest’ then it would at least be accurate and don’t pretend that it was about some ‘vision’ for Europe.

This year I watched it though I think a day after it had taken place (haven’t heard anything about it and who won it till then) and it definitely was not worth it and a waste of my time though I partially dozed off anyway.
    Because a) it confirmed everything negative about it again and b) one of the worst “songs” - though I don’t think it deserves to be called a song – won this somehow though the people seem to hate it if one looks at the like-dislike ratio - without that chick possessing any musical talent and completely dull and mentally challenged lyrics whereas those few contributions that could have actually at least been called music fell far behind this garbage . That solely won because it promoted and pushed feminist ideology, that’s the only reason.
    And what was she blabbering about that being different and diverse had won? In which way is she different aka falls out of the norm, the average, except from being a morbidly obese woman? And obesity is not being different or diverse it’s a health issue.

Not even the supposed “metal” band from Hungary was good though better than most of the other garbage. Well, at least I had a good laugh when the German commentator announced it as a really “hard” version of “Heavy Metal”.
    The most decent were the bloke performing for our Dutch neighbours and that classically trained lady from Estonia who was definitely talented and a good singer who could actually sing.
    As far as our country's contribution goes it was an unspectacular, emotional pop song that I wouldn’t care to hear a second time but it was completely bearable and fine for the Eurovision standards and at least not some pathetic, simple-minded trash that makes you cringe that our country usually sends there.

I will most likely not watch this again next year at least not on my own or voluntarily as it just demonstrated me again why I didn’t and it only makes me want to rant about the intellectual and artistic decay that is taking place in the music field as well as the hypocrisy and how this is all about politics and not about the music at all.

5. Nachtmahr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would disagree here. I think there is nothing wrong with her saying that and the contest taking place in Jerusalem at all. Totally valid in my opinion. [Given that Israel and other non-European nations compete in the first place.]

#25 Nachtmahr, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  6. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its not to do with European/non-European its to do with the illegal occupation of Palestine.

7. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure how you could be so passionately against the perceived political agenda of the contest and yet not see the problem with her saying that on stage.

I take it you're not a very big europe fan in general and can't enjoy a bit of trashy music every now and then so it's probably not the show for you. That said, I enjoy the show but I don't listen to this music all year round, it's mainly not my kind of music. In the same way I don't listen to cheesy Christmas songs in any other month than December.
    For many people it's just a bit of fun, not an actual quest to find the most amazing music of all time.
    Perhaps you are just taking it a little too seriously to enjoy it?

8. Nachtmahr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The existence of Israel is valid. It is not an illegal state.

And I know what you meant to say, I added the bit about European and non-European - in brackets mind you - because I personally think and have stated before that it’s questionable that so many non-European countries compete in a supposedly European contest.

I am against political agendas determining who wins this and I said that she only won because of her feminist ideology (fat acceptance in particular) what proved that to me again. I however see no problem with her inviting the people to Jerusalem for the next year after winning especially considering the contest has already taken place there in 1979 what I am sure she also knew. I think it’s telling that so many people get offended about this as much as they do and I don’t share their anti-Israel attitude that is what I am saying.

I’m not a Eurovision fan (the continent Europe I do like a lot though) and I have never claimed to be. I care about music maybe too much that is correct too. I don’t take the contest seriously because it has turned into a joke and not a good one in my humble opinion that I can’t take seriously though.