1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding Testosterone in the Midwest

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Romin, May 15, 2018.

1. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys,

I’m a transmasculine nonbinary person and I have recently moved to Missouri and have just decided that I want to begin the process of transitioning on low dose testosterone.

A trans friend of mine suggested I look into planned parenthood for hrt, but upon looking at their website, the closest PP that provides hrt to trans* individuals is a five hour drive away. I was wondering if anyone else lived in or near MO who might know of other options to finding gender therapists and hormones.
    Thank you!

2. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey Romin! Are you close to KC? We have a planned Parenthood here that offers hormones. I'm sure you know this, but being trans in Missouri isn't necessarily easy, especially if you're in a small town. If you're not close to KC or STL, you're next best bet might be a city with a university in it. They usually have some resources there, or at least a group of students who know the specific services available in their area. As far as finding a therapist goes, if you got to Psychology Today's website, you can filter your searches to find nearby therapists who specialize in LGBT clientele, or are at least trans friendly. Best of luck! And what brings you to Missouri, if you don't mind me asking?

3. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My fiance lives in Springfield, and we’re finally closing the distance!
    Thank you so much for the information!

4. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Small world, I'm actually from Springfield originally! There is a Planned Parenthood in Springfield, but I don't think they offer T. Since it's a college town, the universities will have lgbt support groups. I went to Missouri state's LGBT group when I was a student there. There's also GLO, which is the city wide LGBT center. When it comes to therapists, I'm not sure of a specific one in Springfield, I actually never checked when I was there.

I hope you're liking Springfield! As far as smaller Midwestern towns go, I thought it was pretty nice. If you like Chinese food, Triple Eight's is the best, and Taj Mahal has great Indian food. Kazoku has really good, cheap sushi as well. When it comes to stuff to do, there's a lot of good hiking and biking paths - check out the nature center and Sequiota Park; the Moxie shows independent movies; there is an amazing community theatre downtown; and The Mystery Hour is like a Tonight Show style TV program - you can get really cheap tickets to sit in the audience while it tapes. And of course Bass Pro, which was always a little too country to me, though the new Wonders of Wildlife aquarium inside of it is cool. Sorry for all the recommendations lol, I just think it's neat to meet someone on here who's in Springfield. Have a good day!! :slight_smile: