1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new here

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by A girl, May 13, 2018.

1. JayBird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sure you will. I've though about being a college professor or something, but I feel like that would be later in my life. That would be fun, especially to teach something like Queer Studies. I'm planning a final presentation right now about queer characters in mythology and how that has shaped a negative view about LGBT people.
    I noticed in your original post that you like history. Favorite period/event in history? I'm studying U.S. History now, but I like modern history (1900s) more.
    -Jay

2. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have so many interesting projects! I didn't know there were any queer characters in mythology!
    I haven't thought about a favourite period or event in history, actually, but like ancient Greece and Rome, and the Renaissance. I also enjoy modern history. There were so many interesting things happening in the 1900s! The thing that facinates me the most about history is the fact that all periods and events are connected to each other and that if you take one event away from the history, there are lots of other events that will also not happend.

3. JayBird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A lot of my projects are for school, but I often find a way to talk about queer history/culture.
    There are quite a few queer characters in mythology, especially the Classics. Lovers Legends by Calimach Andrew goes into it more in-depth, but nearly all the gods/goddesses/heroes have lovers of the same gender. Off the top of my head: Dionysus, Apollo, Zeus, Heracles, Achilles, Artemis, Adonis. It's quite interesting.
    I can't chose a favorite moment in history, I find a lot of events funny in hindsight. Not wars or anything, but moments like where there were three Popes at once make me laugh at the sheer silliness humanity sometimes has.
    I agree that it's interesting to look at the domino effect of events. Makes you wonder about how events now might impact the future.
    -Jay

4. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very interesting wit hthe gods/godesses/eroes with lovers of the same gender! Wonder why we don't learn that in school. I generally thik it is far too little information about- and focus on LGBT people and culture in school. It almost seems like they don't dare to talk about it... Therefore, I think it is so great that you find a way to talk about queer people and history in school! The world needs more people like you, so others can understand that there is nothing wrong with being LGBTQ+, and that it is just as normal and natural as being straight.

By the way, I agree it is silly to have three Popes at the same time! :sweat_smile: There are a lot of funny and silly moments in history...

And I totally agree with this too.

5. JayBird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree that schools don't do enough to educate about LGBT people. I suppose I'm lucky in a sense that I have the means to educate myself, but that shouldn't have to be the case.
    Earlier you said you'd like to be a teacher. What would you teach? Maybe teaching photography/art as a way to combine your passions?
    -Jay

6. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would absolutely love to teach something creative like photography or art, or maybe theatre or music. It would be a great way to combine my passions!! I am also very intereated in writing, and spend a lot of my time writing in my diary, so maybe that would be a thing that I could be teaching as well?
    What do you think? Which subjects do you think could need more intereating and engaging teachers?
    And do you have any alternative plans for your career besides photography and filmmaking?

7. JayBird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Writing is definitely something you could teach. My writing teacher is amazing and it really inspires me to write more.
    I think that the best way to teach is to teach something that you care about. That's true for any subject. But teaching something that you aren't passionate about- like if you love writing but teach math- isn't a good way to utilize your passion. When deciding what you want to teach, keep in mind that you can share something that you care about.
    I've thought a lot about being an author. I might just call myself an artist and do all of that. I've also thought about going into politics, but recently I've moved away from that passion. Not to say that I won't utilize my knowledge about politics to make films.
    What about you? Any other ideas for your career?
    -Jay

8. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is great that you are having an inspiring writing teacher! It sounds amazing! I wish I had an inspiring writing teacher too... Mine is a bit scary, actually. :joy:She is the opposite of inspiring, and that is a pity, because writing is so great, and it would be very fun to have an engaging teacher in writing... (Instead of having one that makes me afraid to hand in my essays, articles and stories...)
    I totally agree that it is important to teach something that one are passionate about. The best teachers are the ones that are passionate about what they teach, and I think I would be a good teacher if I got to teach writing, photography, social science, or maybe music. I don't really have any other ideas for my career yet, but thy might appear before I know it.

I think it is great that you want to be an author. Photography, filmmaking and writing. Sounds like a true artist! I find it really inspiring that you are considering so many different creative careers!
    What is the reason that you moved away from your passion for politics? I think it is so important that people with good values and opinions become politicians. It sounds like a good idea to use your knowledge about politics to make films.

9. JayBird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sorry for the late reply. Finals and AP exams swamped me for a bit.
    I really like being able to express myself in whatever I do, which is why I tend to gravitate more towards art. Politics are interesting and fun, but I feel like I might lose my humanity if I go into politics. My dad works in the political sphere, which lent itself to my interest in it, but he doesn't want us to have to sell out some of our beliefs to help others. That doesn't mean I've completely ruled out a political career. I'd love to be able to help people. Just this week, I've spent 12 hours researching the policies surrounding what constitutes federal money and what that means for forming a GSA at my school. I've got a pretty strong case, if you want to know more.
    A lot of my family thinks I should be a politician. I suppose it would be fun to create and change laws.
    To your point about making films, yeah. I like researching policy, so that paired with my handiness with a camera and love of history really shouts documentary. Plus, I get to help people get their stories out there.
    -Jay

10. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is totally okay that you replied late. I've been having exams myself now, so I understad why you didn't have the time to reply earlier. :slight_smile:

I understand why you don't want to go into politics, and love the fact that you want to be able to help people. Therefore, it sounds like a great idea to combine your passion for filmmaking and photography with your passion for politics and make doumentaries!

I don't know what GSA is, honestly, but I would love to know more about it!

11. JayBird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A GSA is a Gay-Straight Alliance. It's a way for people to connect with others like them and figure themselves out. I attend a private Catholic school, so normally laws don't extend to protecting LGBT people in those places. However, my school requested federal money to build a new building, so that means that my school has to allow a GSA. I'm going to talk to the head of the diocese with what I've found out.
    Once again, sorry about the lateness. There's some family issues going on.
    How did your exams go? I hope you did well, but you seem so smart that they would be alright.
    -Jay

12. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry for the late reply. There has been a lot to do lately. Now, the summer holydays have started, and I am finally getting some spare time again.

Thank you so much for explaining what a GSA is. We do not have that sort of thing where I live, but I wish we had. I think it is great that you want to try to form a GSA at your school! Every school should have one.
    I live in a very small town and there is not a focus on LGBT here at all. I know only a very few LGBT people, and none of them are my age, so it's not so easy to find support here... Luckily, I have a very accepting family, and I am extremely grateful for that. I am hoping to come out as questioning/ liking girls to my best friend and my mother this summer, but i'm not sure that I'll find the guts to do it...
    My exams went very well. What about you? You seem very smart too, so I'm sure you did okay.
    You don't need to apologise for the late replies. I totally understand it. I hope you are okay with the family issues that are going on.
    Hugs from me <3

#32 A girl, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018