Picking for the right moment that probably doesn't exist..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pol, May 19, 2018.

1. Pol

Pol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow, I have no idea why I still have an account for this thing. Anyhow, I'll try to keep this short and to the point. Basically parents are going away to a cousin's same sex wedding in Italy (we live in northern Ireland) on Monday and I have been pondering whether I should just come out to my mum before then. I had been thinking about this for months in advance but I feel my reason for doing it is because I want my cousin who is LGBT to know who I am which is absolutely daft because he's never met me though I've known of him and checked his FB over the years. I have not told anyone about my sexuality outside therapists that I have had and the suggestion of befriending other LGBT people has rarely come up despite me getting counselling from an LGBT organisation. I just don't want this to be a big deal, but because I'm 23 next month and still not out means I've made a mountain out of a moehill. I think my parents may already know about my orientation to be honest but I'm still struggling to deal with it myself. However I just think there is no such thing as the ''right time'' and I should look at it as one of those things I need to ''get over and done with'' and not needlessly drag it out any longer. What do you think?

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should get it over and done with. I waited way too long as well (I was 26 almost 27) and all my waiting was really for nothing.
    The only thing I regret about my coming out was that I didn’t do it sooner.
    Good luck!

3. Pol

Pol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you. My counsellor (who is LGBT himself) seems to disagree with me on that, he thinks if it's something I try and do casually without making it confrontational will somehow make it worse. Always good to get second opinions.

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your counselor wants you to make coming out confrontational? Seems odd.

Your parents are going to a same sex wedding so it’s safe to assume they aren’t hostile towards lgbt people. So coming out casually seems like the way to go, especially since you don’t want it to be a big deal.

5. Pol

Pol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's not that he wanted to make it confrontational at all, he just didn't think it's something I would be able to physically say so casually when it looked I was still so worked up about it. The issue is not necessarily about their reaction, but more mine and how I cope with it. Maybe we just see things totally differently after all.

6. Pol

Pol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    By we I mean you and me, not the counsellor.

7. Pol

Pol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It really is the saddest thing when you're still trying to attach some sort of meaning or purpose to your life at 23 and you just can't reconcile yourself to the fact that life is a meaningless concept and nothing you do will ever amount to anything. This was a waste of time, thanks for the overwhelming amount of replies this post got though (seriously, how are internet forums not dead already, it's fucking 2018) will delete this early in the morning.