1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I try to get serious with this guy?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by danball7, May 14, 2018.

1. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone. I'd really appreciate some input on an issue I'm having.

A good friend of mine recently introduced me to a guy he knows from university. This guy is adorable, really sweet and funny, smart too. We were attracted to each other almost instantly, and I like him a lot.

My problem is not only does he go to university in a different city to me, so to see him I have to travel for about 2 hours and I can't see him very frequently, he's also finishing uni this year and lives in a different country. He also might be moving across the world for additional studies next year.

We try to stay in touch but texting is a poor substitute for face to face contact and we are still getting to know each other - we've only met a few times. I'm worried that what little rapport we've built up won't be strong enough to weather the separation that seems to be ahead of us.

So I'm hoping someone has some good advice on whether I should try to pursue a real relationship with this guy, or if I should cut my losses and end our fling here. I do really like him and I'd be interested in dating him, but I don't want to end up getting my heart broken because we can't make the long distance thing work.

Thanks in advance!

2. smurf

I definitely wouldn't date him, but you also don't have to stop seeing him.

If you are upfront with your concerns and worries, maybe you guys can just have an understanding of keep getting to know each other but knowing that it will end when he moves away.

If you don't think you can make that then I would suggest cutting it soon rather than later.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a small number of people who have made long-distance relationships work. The vast majority, however, generally end up frustrating for one or the other party. I can't say I'd never do that, but I'd probably find myself being very pragmatic and practical, so I'd probably work hard to find a relationship that didn't have the distance factor on top of everything else.

4. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for your advice smurf and Chip. I'll have a chat to him about what our relationship means to us and how we should proceed.

5. Guywest79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's hard to know fr this perspective....he could be the one.....I'd say you have to weigh it out