1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I lost 100 pounds!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BobObob, Jun 10, 2017.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because I like posting updates (I hope people don't mind me continuously bumping this thread)...

Because I've proven that I'm maintained at least 3 months of a stable ~175 lbs after loosing weight, my primary care doctor has referred me for post weight loss plastic surgery ('body contouring' mostly to remove loose skin, and hopefully some stretch marks in the process). I have a consultation appointment with a plastic surgeon in a couple weeks. The end to extreme bodily blunders that I've been ashamed and embarrassed about for about a decade is in sight!

Of course, I realize that body image issues are ultimately an internal issue. Sometimes people with 'perfect bodies' are the most self-conscious about their bodies. However, fixing up unusually embarrassing external issues can make a world of difference. Even with many of the bodily issues still need plastic surgery to be fixed, I still fell a lot more comfortable with my body in general.

PatrickUK likes this.
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fantastic news! So glad to hear that you've attained a weight you're comfortable with and are doing well at keeping it stable. While I agree with you that body issues are an internal thing, I also totally agree that achieving and maintaining an ideal weight is a positive thing that helps us to feel more comfortable with ourselves. Best of luck with the consultation!

BobObob likes this.
  3. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope people don't mind me updating my old thread again, but...

I am scheduled for surgery in mid October! I picked the surgeon after doing lots of research. I read lots of patient reviews of surgeons reviews online, looked at many before/after images, got feedback about surgeons through doctors I had personal connections with, work by the surgeons, and I consulted with 4 different surgeons. This whole process of picking a doctor took about a month. It took another few weeks for my employer to approve my request for ~3 weeks medical leave for surgery, which was approved after my employer accidentally violated California state law by requesting information that California doesn't allow employers to ask.

I'll be undergoing a lower body lift, breast reduction, and a mild arm lift all in one surgery. This is a very aggressive surgery, and I'm sure the recovery from it won't be very fun. In fact, the surgeon said that the "time to smile" after the surgery is about a month, which mean it will probably take until almost Thanksgiving before I'm thankful for the changes.

It will also cost an arm and a leg, because it's extensive (bigger than a tummy tuck), done in an expensive area (SF Bay Area) and by a highly rated surgeon. However, I think it will be worth it in the long run if I get the results I expect (which won't fix everything, as I'll still have some stretch marks, but should be a huge upgrade). I expect to have a body like I likely would've had in college had I had a different upbringing, except a bit older and with some scars (surgical and old/faded stretch marks).

SoulSearch likes this.
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is fantastic news! It can be really life-changing in a situation like yours. Wishing you the best, please keep us in the loop. I'm guessing you'll have a lot of time to look at stuff on the 'net (like EC) at least for a while. :slight_smile: