1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BlueLion, May 11, 2018.

1. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everybody :slight_smile:

I was wondering if any of you is watching the show this year. If so, have you listened to any of the songs? Do you have any favourite country?

2. Loves books

I'm watching. I only watched the semi final with my country in it. I was sure we weren't going through but the called out Ireland last. It's not a bad song just kind of repetitive. But apparently China cut the Irish act his year because the Irish act has a male couple dancing together as a gay couple. So China is banned from showing the Eurovision. I can't wait until the final but it's more a political contest with the countries voting for their neighbours. Ireland doesn't have a chance.

3. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in the US but in my Russian language class, we watch Eurovision every year and try to predict which countries will win each of the top 3 spots. This year I like all the songs so it's kinda hard to pick, but some of them do stand out to me a bit more, so I'd say my favorite songs this time around are from Cyprus, Norway, UK, Azerbaijan, Spain, Israel, and the Netherlands. Pretty much as soon as I heard those songs, I decided I was gonna download them when I got home. Cyprus's and Norway's are my favorites of those, I think. I have a case of earworm and I'm not complaining at all lol.

The political contest part is too bad. I like the fact that Ireland has a gay couple in their song, I think it's really cool and it shows the world that it's ok.

#3 ErickWolf, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've not watched it for years. I got fed up of the tv presenters of the show here in Britain. It was Terry Wigan - he blarnied on and on and on and onnnnnnnnn... The guy that took over from him does the same - so I still didn't want to watch it... But I'll give it a try tonight - if I remember. I do like the British song and singer. She is lovely, and very talented, too. I've not heard any of the others - apart from Israel. I don't like the Israeli entry - it's tacky.

I also don't like it being so extra European now. It used to be only European Union, even before the EU was rebranded as the EU. It could all happen in one night. Now it has elimination rounds! It always had Israel in it - very strange. But now it's become extra European... It's put me off further.

5. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched both semi finals. I really like Saara Aaltoo with Monsters.

6. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Loves books: I love the Irish song this year, as usual. Ireland has sent beautiful songs in the last years. Fortunately, this year you have qualified for the Grand Final. I think it's difficult that Ireland wins tonight, though I'd love so. This year my favourite ones are Spain, Ireland and Lithuania. I also like Italy, Estonia, Denmark, Switzerland (which did not qualified for the Final), Cyprus, Israel, etc.

It's a pity that China cut the Irish performance. Actually, I don't think it's such a political contest. Of course, some countries give some votes to their neighbours, but it's necessary to have a good song to win or to get a good placing. For example, Portugal won last year and their only neighbour is Spain.

Good luck for Ireland! :slight_smile:

@ErickWolf: Between the songs that you have mentioned, I like Spain, Cyprus, Azerbaijan (which did not reach the Final) and Israel. I think Cyprus has a big chance of winning. I'm not a big fan of the Norwegian song. In my opinion, Rybak's song of 2009 (the one that gave him the victory) was much better.

I agree with your opinion of the Irish entry. It's great to normalise LGBT people. Apart from that, I think it's a fantastic song.

@Richard321: You have the option to watch it online on the Eurovision's official YouTube channel without comentator. I think SuRie (the British singer) is a very talented artist. She looks a very nice person, as well. The song is OK, but for me it doesn't stand out.

Personally, I don't mind the fact that Eurovision has become a bit extra European. I'm glad to see that a lot of countries are interested in the contest.

Good luck for the UK! :slight_smile:

@Lexa: I watched the two semi-finals too. In my opinion, the first one had a bigger quality. I'm sorry that Belgium did not qualify. Enjoy the show tonight. :slight_smile:

7. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've decided to record it on my Sky+ box. I can then fast forward through the BBC1 blarnie chatter if it isn't interesting. This way I don't need to use my data up as Sky+ comes via Satellite dish. I can simply start watching it an hour after it starts and I will probably catch up with it before the end.

#7 Richard321, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Speaking of past Eurovision songs, Fairytale was really good, as well as Hard Rock Hallelujah, which I found yesterday when I clicked on a youtube vid in that related video results thing. I still need to listen to some of Lordi's other songs, but if they're anything like that one, I'm a fan now lol. It may look like a weird crazy thing at first but they wear the costumes and do all the pyrotechnics for the purpose of putting on a great show, and that they do! The creativity and work that goes into their stuff deserves some kudos. The wings on Mr. Lordi's costume were seriously cool, and they must've taken a lot of work to make. Also, another one that may look weird but is a very entertaining performance and good song is Dancing Lasha Tumbai. Those outfits were fabulous and the song is so catchy. xD

9. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm watching it afterall.
    All nice songs so far.
    Ukraine nice.
    But so far it's Albania for me - very, very nice.
    Mind you, the Austria song that followed was good. He good!
    The Lithuanian entry is very nice but I doubt it will get the popular vote.
    Oh, and Graham Norton presents thisnshow better than Terry Wogan.
    Norway a good foot tapper.
    I'm enjoying it!

10. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The Portuguese entry has class. I can't understand a word but I do like foreign worded songs. Nearly on par with Albania.
    Nice presenters. America can not compete with this.
    The UK song was brilliant. Who was that that ran on?! And she carried on brilliantly! Awesome - and solo cute!
    Who was that #*%&er that ran on though?
    Oooooooh Serbia song lovely.
    So, far is UK, Albania and Serbia all at the top for me.
    I wonder if Albania Weill suffer for being up early...
    Ahhh, Germany - will it win on penalties? Very nice. Classy. This one is up there, too. This might take it. But I still like LITHUANIA for me best still. It wasn't Albania! Oops.
    Albania is just up now. It's good but they are all at least good.

#10 Richard321, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  11. Ryu

Ryu

#11 Ryu, May 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2018
  12. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the best show for years due to the variety of songs and stage performances. Also no stand out winner this year, so with the new voting system, it should be an exciting finish. (I have placed a couple of bets though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed )
    Just a shame that some good songs got rejected at semi-finals.

13. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Australia very good.
    Finland very good - and so cute, too.
    Bulgaria very good.
    All songs have been good. None have been bad at all.
    France good - but I hope it doesn't win for political reasons - being about immigrant baby that died.
    Moldova has that popular Euro sound... And it's got that sexual element to it... Again the female singer of the three is well cute.
    Wow, Hungary produced a rock legend! Brilliant. Awesome.
    Israel better than I'd heard before. But to win - no. A foot tapper though. The crowd loved it.
    Some great performances tonight. Not one bad one! Awesome show.
    Ireland very good.
    Two more to go - I'm getting tired.
    Wow, isn't the Cyprus lady gorgeous?! Wowww! Good Euro song, too! This one rocks. It's up there!
    Still Lithuania has it for me, though.
    Italy is up there too.
    Lithuania gets my vote still, though.
    So many good and very good songs - all performed very well.
    Best Eurovision ever maybe for the quality.

14. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So the UK definitely got punished for brexit (boohoo) but still was the best show for years.
    The question now is who was wrong - the public or the professional juries?

15. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Israel won finally. I'm glad for Netta. Her song was catchy and fun, in my opinion. This is the fourth victory for Israel.

Poor SuRie. She was interrupted by that stupid person who tried to ruin her work. Fortunately, she was able to carry on in a fantastic way. By the way, my country (Spain) had a similar experience in 2010.

My three favourite ones (Spain, Ireland and Lithuania) weren't so lucky with the votes, but I'm so happy with their performances.

16. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends what they are voting on? Is it the song (sound, meaning, words, theme), the singing, the showmanship, the flashing lights and fireworks?

The committees had heard each song and performance many times - so had probably discussed each at length. They voted the night before but had probably significantly decided even before that.

And as for the public - how many, like me, just went on the actual Final? I reckon many had heard them before and maybe listened to them on YouTube, too.

I don't begrudge Israel winning. I just didn't rate the song - especially not the first part of it. What were those early sounds she was making? And from the words and performance I couldn't make out the theme - except not being someone's toy.

And why were people able to vote 20 times from each phone?!

Anyway, overall I thought it all was quality stuff. Lithuania was my favourite. Hungary rocked. Finland, Denmark, Serbia, Germany and the UK were up highest for me. Crazy voting.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a good Israeli friend who must be on Cloud Nine today! I know he's a major fan.

Being a confirmed North American, I had never heard of the Eurovision Song Contest until just a few years ago. I'm amazed at its popularity in Europe and elsewhere. From what I could learn, it started back in 1956 with 7 nations participating...at last, something older than me! It also has apparently completely by-passed pop music from the sixties, and the entire punk rock era (according to Wikipedia).

I can get my head around nationalist pride and sporting contests. Participants winning by milliseconds in the 100-meter sprint is still an objective measure, but song contests, or any other measures of artistic quality, including figure skating (as measured by an "objective" number of votes) is another thing entirely.

We humans can discern when something is good. When it has quality, we know it when we see it. It is not "just" something we like, there is much more to it than that...Such contests however, highlight just how undefinable "quality" actually is....Fascinating!

18. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My top 3 favourites were:
    1. France - “I am life. I am Mercy.” So powerful. Brought a tear to my eye.
    2. Estonia - amazing opera singer with an amazng dress!
    3. Ukraine - cool vampire guy! Lol

19. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do. They’re not European. If its not anything to do with Europe then dont call it Eurovision.

20. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way I see Eurovision is that it is a contest with two very different sides.

The negative side unfortunately is the one of loyalist voting, in the case of some countries that always award high marks to their neighbours (regardless of the song) and expat voting for home countries.

On the positive side though, it is a competition that celebrates the individual culture and sovereignty of each participating nation BUT by doing something that we all have in common, music. It's like saying we're all different but we can still find common ground to enjoy something universal together.
    Also, in contrast to international sporting events, it's not just all about supporting your team and beating everyone else. Of course everyone would like their country to win (exception; Ireland 1995) but you can't vote for your own country, so you have to vote for someone else. You choose your favourites and share in the celebration of their success too!
    Many people will listen to music from a country/ culture that they may know nothing about and may even enjoy it.
    Up to 600 million people around the world are estimated to watch the show!

It's well established that Eurovision is not only inclusive and diverse, but pioneering in attitude towards equality. The last time Israel won was 1998 with Dana International, a transgender woman. The song was the best in the competition and that's what mattered, something that no doubt sowed the seeds of change in millions of peoples minds. Me and some of my friends even joke that Eurovision is the "gay christmas". This year when China censored part of the show, including rainbow flags, it was given a clear ultimatum - show the whole uncensored show or don't show it at all. Meanwhile sporting events of the same scale host competitions where LGBT players and spectators would be punished, imprisoned or sent to death and the organisers turn a blind eye.

In short, it's not perfect but Eurovision has done more to bring people together in Europe+ than any of the EU vanity projects so it is more than worth it's few faults.

Worth noting that, it's called EUROvision because it's produced by the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) which is why the likes of Russia, Israel and Australia take part even though they're not "Europe". Frankly, I couldn't care less who competes so long as they play by the rules and bring a bit of fun to the party!