1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight loss friends for motivation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TanMan, May 12, 2018.

1. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are there any people in here looking at losing weight? I need some friends to keep in contact with to keep me stick to this. I previously lost 100 pounds, but then I started nursing school (RN) back in August. 3 weeks into the program, my grandma passed away and overall I gained 40 pounds. Since then I lost 30, but I’ve been stuck for a while.

Does anyone want to stay in contact on here and have a “weight loss buddy” to keep motivated?

2. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me and my boyfriend are doing major weightloss right now.

Our main problem is portion control. To help with this, we buy ready meals and freeze them and eat two 400g ready meals a day (one for dinner, one for lunch). Its also important for us to look at the calories and compare calories of similair products in the supermakret.

To help combat hunger, we drink 1-3 pints of skimmed milk per day (it really does work!)
    To help keep our sweet tooth at bay we look at sugar free alternatives. We like sugar free jelly (jello), zero sugar fizzy drinks and sugar free squash drinks (not sure if there is an American equivalent).
    We allow ourselves a treat day where there is no restrictions on food, once a week or once a month depending.
    We weigh ourselves at least once a week.
    We eat only in the kitchen, at the table, so as to create a space where our brains get less hungry when we are in our non-eating areas.

Congrats on losing the weight and sorry to hear about your grandma. We are expecting to hear bad news for his mother on Monday... so I expect our ‘lifestyle change’ will be out the window for the next week at least... although I will be trying my hardest to limit this and do some damage control.

Have you talked to a doctor about your weight? They really can help sometimes.

I’m not sure if having an online buddy would be helpful for me... sounds very stressful and sounds like the sort of thing I would just end up making some excuse and opting out of at some point.
    I hope you find someone who can help you soon :slight_smile:

3. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A few days ago was my 1 year weight loss anniversary. Dropped from 350 to 230 and have about 50 left to lose to reach goal weight.

I don't have a car and need to walk about 5 miles a day out of necessity just for daily life, so that certainly helped (5 miles a day at 350 pounds in the middle of a 90 degree every day Summer last year was pretty crappy though).

I kept food simple. The grocery store is a 2 mile walk and anything frozen would melt by the time I got back anyway, so nothing frozen ever.

Breakfast is always a spinach and mushroom three egg omelette.

Lunch is always some variation of fruit and vegetables

Dinner is always a sandwich of some kind.

Daily calorie intake is usually around 1,000 calories.

Average daily calorie intake is 2,000 for most people, and it takes 3,500 calories to lose one pound.

2,000 - 1,000 = 1,000 lost calories per day = 7,000 lost calories per week, which is about 2 pounds a week average weight loss. The walking and some working out adds extra weight loss and helps a lot to tighten the loose skin.

No fancy diets or extreme workout routines are necessary at all, my simple system has worked very well.

I'm happy to be your "weight loss buddy" if you want :slight_smile:

Ruby Dragon likes this.
  4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing your tips. I'm currently at 300lbs (around 136kg). I came down from 325 in a few months' time just by choosing healthier foods and eating smaller portions. I no longer go for second helpings, and don't eat junk food anymore. I used to go walking to get exercise but lost motivation after a while. I've been meaning to get back into it because I need to reach my weight goal soon, so I can take up horse riding again. Haven't ridden in over 4 years :frowning2:

I'd be happy at 200lbs/90kg. I didn't gain this much weight overnight, and won't lose it overnight, so I need to just keep doing what I'm doing, drink more water (I'm bad with this, I need to drink more water) and maybe reduce my portions even further, AND exercise. My clothes already fit looser but I want to go down two, maybe three, dress sizes in order to be happy with my body. It will take time, patience and hard work, but I know if I put my mind to it, I can do it!

Niagara likes this.