1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOCD

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Limiteded, Apr 9, 2018.

1. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chip..... YES
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a few people with OCD. It can be a debilitating anxiety disorder. It can be a lifelong condition that for some people that has to be managed. Sometimes with difficulty. Ritualistic habits are the best known symptoms, not every OCD sufferer presents with that symptom.
    The only times I've come across HOCD is on sites promoting 'conversion therapy'. The definition they offer basically describes fear of rejection because of homophobic bigotry.
    Basically the term HOCD is a pseudoscientific term used to make 'pray the gay away' appear to be something other than the religious bigotry that is.
    I've did a mild version of 'conversion therapy' all it did was cause chronic depression.

3. Slater

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HOCD is a form of OCD. OCD is like a mental virus that can attach itself to any thought in your head, or any aspect of your life. HOCD has received so much attention simply because it's taken on a moniker; there's no such thing as TouchThe Wall -OCD or DidIJustRunSomeoneOver-OCD but they are forms of the illness that certainly exist.

I believe HOCD is a result of the internet and, to a lesser extent, the proliferation of Social Media. Gay content is easy to access. Most of the HOCD sufferers I've encountered are pretty young. These guys look up gay stuff online out of curiosity. If they pop a boner, (which is possible because at that age a supermarket flyer can get you horny) and are have O/C tendencies, then BAM. HOCD.

I've spoken to people with HOCD and it's actually helped with my OCD because as a person who's comfortable with being gay, I am able to see how ridiculous the disorder is. I want to grab them by the collar and scream "For God's sake just suck a dick already and you'll know!"

They're response always starts with the word "But..." which means they don't understand.

OCD is hell.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HOCD is not recognized in the DSM-V or the ICD-10 (the two internationally used diagnostic manuals). It is also not recognized by much of anyone credible. It is simply not a legitimate diagnosis, and it devalues the daily struggle that people with OCD have.

OCD, on the other hand, is debilitating, and severely impacts the lives of those who struggle with it. Someone who has OCD has difficult, uncontrollable intrusive thoughts or compulsive behaviors. It is nearly always the case that these thoughts and behaviors are more than just a single obsession or compulsion.

Someone whose daily life is impacted by constant, uncontrollable and unwanted thoughts probably has OCD, and should be properly diagnosed so that s/he can get treatment.

We should not be giving voice or validity to HOCD, as it confuses people and devalues those who suffer with OCD.

#44 Chip, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    LilLady9 and YermanTom like this.