1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did a same-sex friend ever have feelings for you before you came out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Destin, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just wondering if this has happened to other people too, or if someone here felt this way about their friend.

When I was like 14 I had a male friend on my school track team who seemed to always find a way to be wherever I was. He was cool so we started hanging out outside of school also, and he would ask me to go to the beach with him often (beach town, it was easy entertainment we could walk to). When one of us did well in a race he would hug me sometimes as like a congratulations thing but he didn't do it with other people. So one day we were at the beach and he was looking at me weird and when I asked what he was looking at he said he thought I had pretty eyes. I said something kind of mean like 'dude I don't want your dick, only say that to girls' but it was meant as a joke not to hurt his feelings. He laughed it off but he seemed kind of sad for weeks after that. He stopped giving congratulatory hugs and left the track team to play soccer instead at the end of the semester and stopped asking me to hang out.

It took me a while to realize he probably wanted to go to the beach so much because it was a place where he could be close to me when we both barely had clothes on. He probably had real feelings for me and my rude comment broke his heart. Maybe he even somehow knew I was Bi before I did. I wish I could go back and change what I said now that I know how it feels to like a guy.

2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oddly, no. The very few people that have expressed interest in me (or at least that I was aware of) have all been girls.

#2 BothWaysSecret, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not that I'm aware of. I did have opposite sex friends who had crushes on me though.

4. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do you know where he is, it is never too late to make amends!

Dean

5. Pastell

Pastell Guest

I had plenty of feelings for same-sex friends before I came out.

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I do, he still lives in the same place. It would be nice to apologize for it, but what could I do - just show up and be like 'hi, we haven't talked in like 6 years but sorry for being mean to you and I like men too now' - wouldn't that be weird?

What if it just makes him feel bad that I rejected his feelings but then dated a guy later anyway, like he wasn't good enough for me or something.

Idk I just overthink stuff sometimes. I hate remembering that hurt look on his face for weeks - he was such a nice person and I made him lose his crush and his friend at the same time when all he did was be nice to me.

7. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Weirdly enough, I actually did. I had known I was into guys but wasn't out to a lot of people and my senior (?) year of high school I had a guy I was in band with who had graduated 2 years before message me on Facebook. I had always tried to be nice to him, but he was also kind of creepy. He started hitting on me and he came out to me saying he was into me. (This doesn't have a good ending btw.)

Eventually he found me on ###### or something when I was a freshman in college and knew I was into guys. He would text and message me on Facebook nonstop with just some weird stuff. He'd say he wanted to be friends but then ask me what underwear I was wearing. He would message me at 1 AM asking if we could go get coffee (I'd never hung out with him before).

He always had good intentions...just went about them a weird way.

8. RusteeShak

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For me it was the opposite. I had feelings for a friend and my life would have turned out very differently I think if he had reciprocated. We fooled around for quite a while (several months) when we were 15 but he grew out of it. I tried to convince him otherwise, but no luck. We probably wouldn't have ended up together but it *may* have convinced me to come out. But, here I am 30 years later . . . my closet isn't empty.

9. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your story made me feel a little sad. It would have been a nice chance to have an organic relationship with someone you met in real life, rather than just meeting some randomer off the internet to date.

I've never had a same-sex friend/acquaintance/colleague tell/show me that she had feelings for me before or after coming out. I do have men making their feelings clear though. It's a little sad really. I don't have any problem with approaching and picking up women from normal or LGBT bars so I don't think its ugliness on my part. Although its a shame to never have anything meaningful.

10. azzi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I had a neighbor who had a crush on me during my highschool years. At least that was what her brother yelled when I was passing by their house going to mine. And then there was another lady, an acquintance of mine who suddenly ghosted me when me and my exhusband got back together about 2 years ago. Before she ghosted me, we would hang out and go to different places with just the 2 of us. I have no idea why she suddenly stop responding to my text nor my calls after I told her one time that I got back with my then husband. In my mind, I just think that maybe she liked me.. wishful thinking lol

11. yellow6358

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, and I think about it all the time. This was 3 years ago. She is the reason I began questioning my sexuality in the first place. She would constantly compliment my appearance, was always finding reasons to touch me, and would want to sleep on this blow up mattress with me when we stayed the night at another friend’s house. She would literally spoon me under the blanket. This was in 8th grade and she moved to another state that same year. I’m in 11th now and know I’m gay. Wish she was still around because I was hella into her I just didn’t realize it

12. Guywest79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get it..i can' think of real specifics but I know I repressed feelings forvablong time...there was a guy at a str8 bar who backed off I think when he realized I wasn' looking for a guy at that point...he seemed shocked...though I had been exploring online at the time re idea of being w a guy

13. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To think back on it, I think this girl in high school might have. Or not

14. Benboypop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a similar story, when I was 15 and already realised I was bi, I had a friend who had come out ages ago, so he was really close to me, always complimenting me, I always thought "well, he´s nice, I like him as a person" and I sometimes told him that. One day we were at lunch and we were talking alongside other friends and for some reason the conversation ended up in a comment from him towards me: "Well, I think you´re really big and hot", I was scared that my other friends would think wrong about me, they were looking at me, so I just replied "Why thank you, Princess!" in a very mean way. I felt destroyed, but I was too scared to face my sexuality.
    Eventually he left the school and made me feel it was all my fault.

15. Limiteded

Limiteded Guest

Yes...a gay coworker told me one time
    He had a major crush on me for a long time. At that point he had no idea about my sexuality and said I gave no clues.

16. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Similar to me, but this guy i will mention was not my friend at the time, but became my friend later...now that I think about it, I was always someone who liked to keep fit and have a nice body, so I used to go to various gyms and health clubs regularly, since like the age of 13.
    When in the gym I used to admire the bodies of other fit, muscular guys who had great definition, but never in a "wow, you're gorgeous" kind of way...more like a competitive kind of way, like I was comparing myself to them.
    Anyway, I used to go to the sauna and steam room a lot (yep, in some places these rooms are a gay guy's main hangout, if you pardon the parlance. However, I used to attended gyms for guys and girls, so this was less likely). I remember, about 15 years ago now, I was working out one day and one guy was looking at me intently. I took no notice of him in general terms, but as we humans do, I kept looking back to him every so often to ensure that he wasn't looking at me...and sure enough, he was...meaning an uncomfortable feeling for me whenever our eyes met (this is in the context of my sexual journey of discovery, where I had experimented very occasionally with a few guys but was in a relationship and pretty happy, and was not even at the stage of accepting myself as being bisexual yet). This uncomfortable situation continued for like 45 minutes, and looking back I realized a few months later that he was actually following me round the large, semi-crowded gym as I moved from machine to machine in my usual performance-obsessed manner.
    After my workout, I went to the changing room, got naked, put a towel round me, and walked to the showers cubicles, and afterwards went back to the changing room open area, opened my locker, dropped my towel to the floor after drying myself off, and rummaged through my gym bag to get out a clean pair of running shorts, which I put on with the aim of walking through to the steam room and sauna. As I stood upright from a bent over position I turned around and saw the same guy standing there, directly behind me, just staring at me as though he had been hypnotised...I realized that he had literally seen EVERYTHING, and I remember being quite nervous about it and rather embarrassed, and walked off swiftly to the steam room. After like ten minutes in the steam room, I ventured into the sauna, and it was incredibly hot in there, but I loved the dry heat. I just closed my eyes and thought about my workout, and what body parts I would train next time, and when I would visit the gym next.
    A couple of minutes later, this same guy walked in, waking me with the noise of the sauna door slamming, and he sat opposite me. And then...he undid his towel and exposed himself to me, revealing his rock solid penis. Now, if that happened to me these days, what with me being comfortable with my sexuality, i would have complimented him on its size. But instead I just got incredibly shy and nervous. I just said to him "you shouldn't really be naked in the sauna. What if a girl walked in?" He just brazenly said back to me, oblivious to what I really meant in regards to a female's discomfort at seeing a stranger's manhood, "It's ok, I'm gay anyway". I just nodded and decided to close my eyes. However, forcing yourself to close your eyes when you know that some uncomfortable situation is right there in front of you, is incredibly difficult. So after just a couple of minutes I got up and left, got dressed quickly and almost ran out of the gym.
    He even knocked on my door the next week to ask for directions to the nearest bus stop, so in hindsight he was a bit strange and a potential stalker. But through the gym we became friends, although I was so put puf by his behaviour that I maintained to him that I was straight.

17. Limiteded

Limiteded Guest

The coworker I was friends with always liked talking to me and joking around. I knew he liked me but at that point in my journey I only was having bi curious thoughts at most. I never talked to him about it. After some time he moved away all the way across the country. A few years later he messaged me one night asking how I was and just creating small talk. He then just came out and asked me had I ever thought about being with men. In complete shock I said no. He said no problem I was just asking. About i week later I messaged him back and opened up. I really was attracted to him but was just so nervous. But once we talked for a while I really opened up to him and told him I was attracted to him. I can tell you it was the best feeling in the world. My heart was racing and I had never been so turned on in my life. Even more then any girl I had been involved with. We still talk off and on occasionally. It was at that point I knew my sexual desires for men were very real. If we weee geographically closer I would love to have a romantic relationship with him.

18. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great perspective. I would have been the same with the guy I had mentioned if it had happened later in my life and I had been more mature in my realisation of my sexual orientation...because looking back, he was a very attractive guy and had a lot going for him, very sizeable manhood included!

19. Kimberlyjo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    En la escuela siempre tuve un compañero que me perseguía me decía cosas bonitas y cuando estaba cerca sentía cosas en el estómago Aunque no tuvimos nada porque no nos volvimos a ver nunca olvides su nombre y aquellos hermosos ojos verdes Vivo arrepentida de no haber tenido nada y extraño a Daniel

20. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I lost my virginity to a guy when I was a teenager but other than that I don’t think so