1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else like old-timey things?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Niagara, May 11, 2018.

1. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Things that have no actual purpose anymore or can be replaced, but are still really cool so you keep using them anyway just to keep owning them.

For me it's pocket watches. Possibly one of the most useless items out there now with clocks and smartphones everywhere, but I still like having a pocket watch. It feels really cool just to hold it for some reason, like a tiny flashback of the times when people wore suits everywhere and carried pocket watches.

2. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely! If I was rich I'd probably fill my house with old relics. Pocket watches sound interesting - and watch fobs, snuff boxes, walking sticks, chamberstick holders, leather-bound books, ###### boxes, dip pens, wax seal stamps, record players, gramophones - I'll stop there...

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really want to get into vinyl. I think that is definitely something old timey I can see the appeal of.

4. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like old school video games.

5. Rakkitora

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love old stuff. Although since I'm young, the stuff that seems old to me might not be that old to the generations before mine. Like my parent actually grew up having to use typewriters, or waiting in line to test a computer program made with punch cards. That kind of old tech is fascinating to me. I had a walkman, but it broke :frowning2:
    My car is pretty old-timey compared to modern cards. I have crank windows, and overall its pretty squeaky, but it still has a great AC. Part of the appeal of old things to me is that when you are used to something that's old, you don't feel like you have to spend money to get the new latest and greatest. For example, when I eventually get a new car, I can get a cheap car and still feel likes its a major upgrade just because I'll be excited to have power windows.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a few things I found at yard sales or from my Grandpa, but I'm not sure if I have the motivation to continue my collection.

Right now I have a few 1960-1980 licence plates, milk bottles and sad irons. I want to maybe get a few neon signs and maybeeee start getting vinyl records.

7. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cars, trucks, motorcycles... I like the old stuff more when I have to use the newest stuff.

8. Loves books

I like seeing old buildings and knowing how people lived in the past.

9. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm obsessed with history. My dream is to buy and restore a really old home or maybe even a castle in Europe. I also love cds, (lol, I've been called old fashioned for liking these!) Old books too are something I really love.

10. Bi and emo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love old things !!!

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love fountain pens and still write with them. I actually enjoy writing, even though it's so much easier to create a document and type 40 - 60 words per minute. When I hand wrote a report a few months ago, I was asked if my printer was broken. People looked at me with puzzlement when I said it was my choice (and pleasure) to write it by hand.

I also love classic cars. Wish I could afford to own and run a collection of classics.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I qualify as as someone who likes old time things... Although its hard to say how much is fueled by nostalgia, and how much is practical...

Yes, I said practical. Just because new technology exists doesn't mean it's necessarily the best way of doing something.

For example, I still have and play vinyl LPs. But that decision was very practical when I got my first good audio system in the 1990s. I had existing records, and, at that time, people were dumping record collections as fast as they could. A good turntable is not cheap, but the cost was very rapidly recovered by how cheap used records were. And, at that time, I felt that LPs (at their best) sounded better than CD.

In more recent history, I kept on using an older computer system for writing. A lot of people questioned that, but it worked better for my needs. The software I had struck a nice balance--it had all the features I needed; it stayed out of my way when I worked; and it worked fast, even on dated hardware. Any time I was faced with using Word on another system, I usually ended up feeling like screaming in frustration... Fortunately, I've found modern software that works well for me, so I don't have to juggle computers. However, I'm thinking of doing a writing project...and I'm half thinking of using the older system again. (Part of that is just because this project is based off material created many years ago, and I'll need to print using this older system, since it supports my best printer.)

But I'm also a sucker for less practical things... I like fountain pens, which were mentioned by at least one person before me. At one time, I thought they were better technology--I loved one using one for homework in the 1980s, and I think my bad handwriting was better. It seems like other technology has gotten much, much better. Even if fountain pens might be better in some cases, they are pointless given how little I write.

I also like old typewriters, even though I'd hate having to use one on a daily basis now.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, CDs increasingly seem old fashioned. I have a small collection that is growing rapidly because people can't seem to dump them fast enough! I never really liked CD, but the prices are very attractive, and it's a way of getting material I might not get otherwise. Certainly I've gotten material that would cost considerably more on a used LP, or any sort of download.

At the same time, though, the thought of CD being old fashioned makes me feel old! I can remember when CD first came onto the market...and that was 35+ years ago now.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, yes...another old time thing I like: old books.

I've never had a Kindle or anything like that, although I could get by with one. I'm not bothered by reading stuff on a screen--so much reading now is Internet based. That said, I like old books, and the sense of history. My light reading on the bus has recently been a paperback that was published in the 1980s. It's fun having this book--the book design for this series is something I remember fondly. And it's aged, giving a sense of history. There is a bit of writing in the book, and I keep wondering who the woman who owned the book was like.

#14 BMC77, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  15. bubblesh204

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always enjoyed old clocks, the old irons that you had to heat up on the stove, and when I was learning to drive I always wanted an old VW Bug but my father and I couldn't find one that was in good enough condition to restore. I also love old clothes, specifically from the first half of the 20th century. A couple years ago I also took up swing dancing and have fallen in love with getting all dressed up to go dance to old jazz music

16. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well -- my boyfriend thinks that I'd have been happiest in the 60s.

I prefer older cars (hey, if anyone wants to buy me a vintage Porsche 911 Turbo in black, I wouldn't mind. Or an Aston Martin DB5. Or -- if you happen to be cheaper than that, haha -- an Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 or even a Citroën DS.) I also love typewriters and old calculators. My preferred architectural and design style is 50s-60s International Style; if I had infinite money and a time machine, I'd have hired Mies van der Rohe or Oscar Niemeyer to design my dream home and furniture, and Dieter Rams to design all things electric.

17. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With how fast technology advances these days, I feel old seeing kids not understand older tech even though I'm only 18. I was on basically the very tail end of vhs, so I still remember them fondly, and I remember when the original iPod was the coolest thing ever, and when people thought the blackberry was the best thing to happen to cell phones, and when people still had land lines. Whoever mentioned cd's hit pretty close to home for me too. All that said, I like even older things. I love my dad's record collection, and retro videogames are the best. And I still prefer things in the physical world over digital, even though my dream is to become a computer software engineer. For example, I'd rather play my trading card games in paper, even though it's more expensive, and I love the feeling of buying cards that are literally older than I am (my playset of Revised Edition Sol Rings, my 4th Edition Dark Ritual, and my Chronicles Ashnod's Altar, to name a few)